Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 12:17 PM

6,376 posts, read 4,995,543 times

Advertisements

I feel like it's maybe less glorified in the media now, in favor of a more hipster/yuppie identity, but those people definitely still exist. You'd run into crowds of them every time you walked out of my high school when I was there in the late '00s/early '10s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2018, 01:29 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,455,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
I feel like it's maybe less glorified in the media now, in favor of a more hipster/yuppie identity, but those people definitely still exist. You'd run into crowds of them every time you walked out of my high school when I was there in the late '00s/early '10s.
Good point. My generation (X) was either the long haired metal head with a jean jacket, or the slacker burnout with a flannel and beanie on, depending on 80’s vs 90’s. Now it’s hair in a bun, a beard, and chick jeans, for both the 00’s & 10’s

Old 07-30-2018, 07:33 PM

7,080 posts, read 8,941,070 times
I was a teenager in the 1970s, anyone that liked AC/DC or Lynyrd Skynyrd were the burnouts.

Old 07-31-2018, 07:40 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Redneck Show View Post
So, all of the “cool kids” listened to Peter Frampton and Jackson Browne instead?
those in the band and on the yearbook staff listened to Seals and Crofts and Chicago

Old 07-31-2018, 04:34 PM

7,080 posts, read 8,941,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Redneck Show View Post
So, all of the “cool kids” listened to Peter Frampton and Jackson Browne instead?
Most of the cool kids were into prog.

Old 08-02-2018, 01:08 PM

724 posts, read 503,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
You tripped, stumbled, and dropped the ball early on in your intro. I'm very familiar with that time, but can't agree one bit with your assessment and theory.

As I remember well, the 70's and 80's were a great time of happiness and fun. It was very much laid back compared to now; a virtual paradise compared to modern times.

"Burnout" comes to mind as a recent phenomenon, of the 21st century, as people overwork to keep up with bills and expenses, as cost of living outpaces pay. Much of it is due to the race race. Others are trying to keep up with the Jones.

Wasn't burnout a colloquial term used back then to describe the crowd I'm referring too ? I mean I'm not hung up on semantics or anything , but I'm just curious if I've been misinformed .

Anyways I hope I don't come off as Captain Obvious , but I'm not using the term " burnout " in the sense of overexerting oneself . I'm using the term in the sense of referring to the old school metalhead , rocker , stoner , and surfer crowd .

Old 08-02-2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
You guys must just not get out of the house much. Go to any lower to middle class blue-collar town or neighborhood in America and you'll see more youth burnouts than people with ambition.

Are they " burnouts " in the sense of being old school rockers , metalheads , stoners and/or surfers though ? I mean there have always been plenty of youth with little ambition , but this thread does not concern them .

Old 08-02-2018, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
lol, I've noticed the same and we were just talking about this at a reunion the other day. Some of the stuff we did back then was just plain crazy! I can totally relate to your description, although we all wore green army jackets, but I had a jean jacket too. Great memories, but seems like times have changed!

Green army jackets are a new one for me , though there was this one kid from we knew who wore a cutoff camo cutoff jacket ...

Anyways times back then were really great for me as well and I'm honestly curious as to whether kids these days still keep the faith .

Old 08-02-2018, 01:45 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,038,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel Fauquier View Post
Are they " burnouts " in the sense of being old school rockers , metalheads , stoners and/or surfers though ?
Stoners and/or surfers? Yes absolutely.
Old school rockers and metalheads? Probably not.

I think your typical modern “burnout” person would be more into the Arctic Monkeys, Gorillaz, Chance the Rapper, and/or Kendrick Lamar than Judas Priest, Van Halen, and Metallica. (Of course I myself could be a little out of date with the lastest trends too)

Last edited by Boston Shudra; 08-02-2018 at 02:05 PM..

Old 08-03-2018, 06:48 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel Fauquier View Post
So back in the 70s and 80s practically all longhaired ( generally white and male ) youths who listened to rock music , did poorly in school , didn't follow the rules , and had a general " screw the world and party hearty " attitude were labeled as " burnouts " . Metalheads , surfers , stoners , skaters , etc. , were all generally part of the same tribe ( at least in the eyes of mainstream society ) and there was also a good bit of overlap between these subcultures if I'm not mistaken ...

Of course times have changed and there aren't nearly as many youngsters like that around , but I'm curious as to what extent they have faded away . I for one have never seen any young people fitting this description in the area that I currently live in , which is weird to me since I was part of a rather large " burnout " crowd in middle and high school and I'm still under 30 .

So how badly has this loose cultural group faded away in the US ? Are there any areas in the country where you can still find plenty of jean jacket wearing teens who chug cheap beer and get stoned while listening to Iron Maiden and Metallica in the woods ?
In general, I think it's gone into decline compared to decades ago. Teenagers smoke pot less, drink a lot less, and leave their home a lot less than they did a few generations ago.

The modern version of this - losers who don't amount to anything while still young - are "gamers" who seldom leave mom's basement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.