Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Suburban or exurban?
Doylestown PA Suburban 5 22.73%
Doylestown PA Exurban 5 22.73%
Cumming GA Suburban 2 9.09%
Cumming GA Exurban 6 27.27%
Eldersburg MD Suburban 1 4.55%
Eldersburg MD Exurban 4 18.18%
Gainesville VA Suburban 0 0%
Gainesville VA Exurban 8 36.36%
League City TX Suburban 2 9.09%
League City TX Exurban 4 18.18%
Maple Valley WA Suburban 2 9.09%
Maple Valley WA Exurban 4 18.18%
Wixom MI Suburban 0 0%
Wixom MI Exurban 6 27.27%
Parker CO Suburban 2 9.09%
Parker CO Exurban 5 22.73%
Nolensville TN Suburban 2 9.09%
Nolensville TN Exurban 5 22.73%
Oswego IL Suburban 4 18.18%
Oswego IL Exurban 3 13.64%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 10:38 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,702,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
It is, however...

It has been defacto included into what is considered the outer band of DC exurbs or "suburbs", at least by the media.

True story last night I'm watching News 4 and they start the broadcast of saying "A shooting took place at a McDonalds in a Northern Virginia suburb today" I was expecting this to be in Fairfax County or something, then they switch to the live shot and the reporter was in Fredericksburg/ Spotsylvania. I thought to myself wow the media really wants to expand what they call "NOVA" because back in the day that area was considered separate or at least isolated from the "real NOVA".

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/l...490392691.html

I'm going to Fredericksburg tomorrow actually, and i do consider it the "beginning point" when driving northward to being basically in the "area" when I'm heading back to MD from the South.

Yes there are a lot of commuters, who at least go to the Beltway or inside of it, I work in Arlington, and a couple of guys here commute from Fredericksburg and/or Stafford all the way up, EVERY day. DC along with NY is the mega commuting metro capitol. Significant amounts of people commute from 50-75 miles away daily.

https://www.apartmentlist.com/renton...uper-commutes/
Atlanta's up there too with the mega commutes.

Like Cumming, my suburb (Newnan) is also 40 miles from downtown. It's a lot like Fredericksburg, as far as being its own entity (it has a vibrant town center and there's a bit of still rural land between it and Atlanta proper), yet it's still tied to Atlanta being a rapidly growing commuter town for airport and Delta employees. And with it having just shy of 40,000 people and a population density of over 2,000 per sq. mi., it's too developed to be considered an exurb.

The Cancer Treatment Center branch here also markets itself as being in "Atlanta."

Last edited by citidata18; 08-09-2018 at 10:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2018, 12:02 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Atlanta's up there too with the mega commutes.

Like Cumming, my suburb (Newnan) is also 40 miles from downtown. It's a lot like Fredericksburg, as far as being its own entity (it has a vibrant town center and there's a bit of still rural land between it and Atlanta proper), yet it's still tied to Atlanta being a rapidly growing commuter town for airport and Delta employees. And with it having just shy of 40,000 people and a population density of over 2,000 per sq. mi., it's too developed to be considered an exurb.

The Cancer Treatment Center branch here also markets itself as being in "Atlanta."
It is, overall the mega commute cities are what people would expect, with either the most booming populations or strongest economies, NY, LA, DC, SF, Atlanta are all known for this.

Old 08-09-2018, 12:26 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,667,209 times
Maybe I'm in the minority here, but pretty much every one of these places seems like an exurb to me, with the possibly exception of Oswego, but yeah - they're all on the fringes of the metro area, and while they may be part of the MSA, they're not suburbs.

Old 08-09-2018, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
Maybe I'm in the minority here, but pretty much every one of these places seems like an exurb to me, with the possibly exception of Oswego, but yeah - they're all on the fringes of the metro area, and while they may be part of the MSA, they're not suburbs.
I think, in general, the definition of what we call a suburb of a major city in America is somewhat changing due to the dependence on the automobile. America overall still will always market some sprawling town 50 miles away from the hub city as a "suburb" so long as a direct highway connects it there. Really a suburb should be an immediate neighborhood or town that closely connects to or touches the main city.

Take metro Atlanta for example, a real true suburb of Atlanta is Decatur or College Park, not Cumming or Alpharetta. They are just sprawling towns within it's sphere of influence. This is not unique that metro, but as we see due to mega commuting and the automobile, it gives people license to say "this city 30-40 miles away is a suburb of City X".

Old 08-09-2018, 12:57 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,960,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
I think, in general, the definition of what we call a suburb of a major city in America is somewhat changing due to the dependence on the automobile. America overall still will always market some sprawling town 50 miles away from the hub city as a "suburb" so long as a direct highway connects it there. Really a suburb should be an immediate neighborhood or town that closely connects to or touches the main city.

Take metro Atlanta for example, a real true suburb of Atlanta is Decatur or College Park, not Cumming or Alpharetta. They are just sprawling towns within it's sphere of influence. This is not unique that metro, but as we see due to mega commuting and the automobile, it gives people license to say "this city 30-40 miles away is a suburb of City X".
Honestly, I don’t like including any county that doesn’t border the city or the county that contains the city.

Old 08-09-2018, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Honestly, I don’t like including any county that doesn’t border the city or the county that contains the city.
Yes, but see once you get to the county level overall, it makes more sense to say that a "whole county" acts as a suburb to a city than maybe one specific town. Once you get to the point of 10-12 towns in the county wth consistent commuting to and from the central city it makes a larger case, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.