Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 12:32 AM

1 posts, read 2,090 times

Advertisements

Currently I live in Reno, NV. Basically have lived here my whole life and I hate it. The thought of moving somewhere completely new and not knowing anyone sounds like a dream come true. Plus I don’t think I’ll ever be able to buy a house here. Mobile homes are in the $200k range and that is ridiculous to me. I’m in the point in my life where I want to settle down and Reno isn’t cutting it anymore. Anywho I love the thought of Oregon, Salem to be exact, but the houses seem to be a lot there too, almost as much as here. But come on.. it’s one of the most beautiful states. Same with Colorado.. but the whole air elevation thing freaks me out. Idk I’m kind of weird like that. And then there’s Texas. The most ugly of them all but you can get a house dirt cheap. Plus I heard it’s not all bad. Anyways.. I was wondering if anyone who lives in these areas can give me an insiders view. Thanks for reading my rant haha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2018, 06:52 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
I will let you get info from others on Colorado and Oregon - I've visited both several times but I have only lived in Texas of the three.

Of course Texas "isn't all bad." It's a HUGE state with widely varying terrain AND demographics, and five of the fastest growing metro areas in the US. Personally I don't care for west Texas but lots of people like it. But the eastern half of Texas is very populated - it's also not the stereotypical Texas you see in movies (nary a cactus around here, but lots of trees!).

The Hill Country of central Texas - around Austin and to the west of Austin - is gorgeous to me, in a very different way - lots of plateaus, hills, rivers, etc. and lots of short, gnarly oak trees - it's very picturesque in it's own way.

It's worth a trip. Just be forewarned - Texas summers are long and hot no matter what part of the huge state of Texas you're in. But winters are mild and I love them, and spring is fabulous - tons of wildflowers everywhere and I love the warm, sunny weather.

Old 08-09-2018, 08:27 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,697,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destiny1031 View Post
Currently I live in Reno, NV. Basically have lived here my whole life and I hate it. The thought of moving somewhere completely new and not knowing anyone sounds like a dream come true. Plus I don’t think I’ll ever be able to buy a house here. Mobile homes are in the $200k range and that is ridiculous to me. I’m in the point in my life where I want to settle down and Reno isn’t cutting it anymore. Anywho I love the thought of Oregon, Salem to be exact, but the houses seem to be a lot there too, almost as much as here. But come on.. it’s one of the most beautiful states. Same with Colorado.. but the whole air elevation thing freaks me out. Idk I’m kind of weird like that. And then there’s Texas. The most ugly of them all but you can get a house dirt cheap. Plus I heard it’s not all bad. Anyways.. I was wondering if anyone who lives in these areas can give me an insiders view. Thanks for reading my rant haha
If Reno is too expensive, rule out CO. Especially since you mentioned not one thing about what job(s) you would seek. You DO intend to work, right? You do not sound at all like a retiree.

Old 08-09-2018, 08:36 AM

11,090 posts, read 7,149,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
If Reno is too expensive, rule out CO.
I'd agree with this too.

Since money sounds crucial, I'd think the location would have to be partly based on work, and partly on COL. Seems like much of the west is higher in COL though, compared to say, the south.

The other factors of importance would be regional familiarity (in this case, remaining in the west), and culture / cultural familiarity.

Might have to weigh trade-offs among a list of top 5 location choices.

Old 08-09-2018, 09:32 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,936,640 times
You should go wherever your salary will go furthest with cost of living. Which means you can rule out most of Colorado and Oregon. Not sure about Texas.

Old 08-09-2018, 09:50 AM

8,605 posts, read 14,885,270 times
You've chosen two states with abundant amounts of public land and fantastic outdoor recreation and Texas. Honestly if playing outdoors isn't important then I'd look at Texas. Otherwise I'd expand your search - maybe Wyoming, Montana, New Mexico, and/or Idaho. Colorado is pretty expensive unless you wanna live in a ridiculously remote outpost where the economy is heavily dependent upon O&G like, say, Rangely.

Old 08-09-2018, 11:25 AM

1,843 posts, read 1,491,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destiny1031 View Post
I'd choose the Pacific Northwest option (Oregon). Texas would be nice, but since I am a nature lover, I think constant flat land would bore me out. I would love Colorado if it were not for the snow. They get snow like what we get on the East Coast. Oregon gets some snow, but it's not bad like the East Coast. I don't mind the drowsy PNW winters.

Old 08-09-2018, 04:23 PM

461 posts, read 546,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
I'd choose the Pacific Northwest option (Oregon). Texas would be nice, but since I am a nature lover, I think constant flat land would bore me out. I would love Colorado if it were not for the snow. They get snow like what we get on the East Coast. Oregon gets some snow, but it's not bad like the East Coast. I don't mind the drowsy PNW winters.
Colorado snow is NOTHING like NY/NJ snow. When did it last snow in September in NJ? June? When was it last 20 below in NJ? We have 9 months where snow wouldn't surprise anyone, and yet it could be 70 degrees on any given winter day. The 2 climates are as different as you can get.

Old 08-09-2018, 05:12 PM

4,399 posts, read 4,288,838 times
Maybe look into Boise or Albuquerque. They offer some of what you're looking for.

Old 08-09-2018, 06:42 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,457,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbeliever View Post
Colorado snow is NOTHING like NY/NJ snow. When did it last snow in September in NJ? June? When was it last 20 below in NJ? We have 9 months where snow wouldn't surprise anyone, and yet it could be 70 degrees on any given winter day. The 2 climates are as different as you can get.
While I agree that winters in the mountain west are very different... as different as you can get? So winter in Colorado is more like winter in Florida than New Jersey? Lol. Okay then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.