Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 10:04 PM

10,118 posts, read 15,784,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelTerritory View Post
Note: this is not necessarily the same thing as which states you think of as "most Southern," as in most "Deep South" (which I think is a false equivalency). For instance, I personally think Louisiana is, as a whole, more "Deep South" than Tennessee, but for some reason, Tennessee comes to my mind when I think of "the South" before Louisiana, probably due to Tennessee's outsized contributions to music and popular culture (blues, rock n' roll, country), as well as its two large cities, Memphis and Nashville, that are responsible for said contributions, among other things.

In another manner, I think Arkansas has perhaps less "non-Southern" influences than a state like Virginia today, but Virginia comes to my mind before Arkansas when I think of the South. Virginia, after all, is the original Southern state, and bears the historical image of being an aristocratic, plantation-dominated state and home to the Confederate capital of Richmond. Lastly, Georgia, while heavily linked to cosmopolitan Atlanta due to the latter's cultural and economic preeminence, still conjures up strong images of the South for me, probably due to cultural artifacts such as Gone with the Wind, among other relics ingrained into the American psyche of what defines the South. Just the name "Georgia" sounds so damn Southern to me (same with "Alabama") lol, especially when pronounced like "Jawjah."

Other criteria, such as the dominant locations or concentrations of historical and political events (such as the Civil Rights Movement), also significantly influence which states I immediately think of when I think of the South. In this light, Alabama and Georgia once again come out as forerunners.

Anyways, for me, I'd have to roughly say Alabama and Georgia, followed closely by Tennessee, Mississippi, and South Carolina, then Virginia, and then the remaining Southern states. Feel free to list them in a more defined order and include all the states.
From Most Southern to Least Southern In Order
1. Mississippi
2. Alabama
3. South Carolina
4. Georgia
5. Louisiana
6. Tennessee
7. Arkansas
8. North Carolina
9. Florida
10. Kentucky
11. West Virginia
12. Texas
13. Maryland (technically south of the Mason Dixon Line)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2018, 10:24 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,857,841 times
All of the states that succeeded from the union are the ones that come to mind. The "real" southern states that many people think of are the ones that haven't had as many non southern people move in.

Florida was arguably just as Southern as any of the other states, but 100 years ago it had less than 1 million people, and was the least populated state in the south. Since then though it has added over 20 million to become the largest state in the south east more than double any of its neighbors. Everything north of Orlando is very southern though.

Old 08-12-2018, 11:25 PM

7,725 posts, read 6,366,456 times
Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee, Florida, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas. Basically all the Southern states I been to minus Oklahoma. I been to OK and it's definitely in the South.but it's not what comes to mind first.

Old 08-13-2018, 02:31 PM

1,351 posts, read 870,912 times
Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, Tennessee and Mississippi are the most quintessentially "Southern" states in my mind. From the Confederacy, to antebellum architecture, and so forth, they seem to exemplify the things that have defined the south, and don't have as much influence from other regions.

North Carolina and Virginia are definitely Southern, but have more northeast influence. Florida, Louisiana, and Texas all have really unique cultures that are almost their own things.

Arkansas and Kentucky are definitely Southern but feel a little different than the quintessential block, probably due to being on the periphery of the area.

West Virginia and Oklahoma are regionally blended states that have too much influence from neighboring regions (Southwest, Midwest, Northeast) to feel quintessentially Southern, although each clearly has it's Southern characteristics.

Some people put Maryland and Delaware in the South and that's just crazy to me.

Old 08-13-2018, 02:35 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,069,248 times
My first thoughts are Virginia, Georgia, and the Carolinas. Mostly since they were the Southern colonies.

Old 08-13-2018, 05:02 PM

8,196 posts, read 5,324,164 times
Mississippi and Alabama are the ones I think of.

Old 08-13-2018, 05:53 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,612,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
From Most Southern to Least Southern In Order
1. Mississippi
2. Alabama
3. South Carolina
4. Georgia
5. Louisiana
6. Tennessee
7. Arkansas
8. North Carolina
9. Florida
10. Kentucky
11. West Virginia
12. Texas
13. Maryland (technically south of the Mason Dixon Line)
Where’s Virginia? There’s no way that Virginia falls below Maryland on anyone’s scale of “southerness”

Old 08-13-2018, 05:59 PM

2,177 posts, read 1,115,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
All of the states that succeeded from the union are the ones that come to mind. The "real" southern states that many people think of are the ones that haven't had as many non southern people move in.

Florida was arguably just as Southern as any of the other states, but 100 years ago it had less than 1 million people, and was the least populated state in the south. Since then though it has added over 20 million to become the largest state in the south east more than double any of its neighbors. Everything north of Orlando is very southern though.
Meh, anyone who considers Florida "not Southern" hasn't spent a whole lot of time around the state--and that includes from suburban inward in both Miami and Tampa areas.

Old 08-13-2018, 06:43 PM

2,426 posts, read 2,448,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
The Duke boys were in Kentucky
Wrong!!! The Duke boys and the Dukes of Hazzard were Hazzard County Georgia " Aka Conyers and Covington Georgia the real life filming locations which are suburbs of Atlanta!! They always referred to Atlanta as the big city..By the way some of the dukes were filmed in DT Atlanta... When I think of the south Mississippi, Alabama and Georgia are the first states I think of. All others like Virginia, Tennessee, Kentucky, Carolinas, and Louisiana follow. Don't count Florida and I just have mixed feelings on Texas..

Old 08-13-2018, 07:35 PM

464 posts, read 419,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
Where’s Virginia? There’s no way that Virginia falls below Maryland on anyone’s scale of “southerness”
Agreed. Not an unreasonable list otherwise, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.