Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2018, 10:02 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times

Advertisements

Yes, Bertha lost steam, but regained it. She is now through to the end. She is a survivor! And set to open before the end of the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2018, 04:21 AM

5,024 posts, read 5,661,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
what about Cincy? I'd expect some there.
I would've expected more too but per the Wiki list while it and some other midwestern cities have them, they don't seem to have them in quite the volume of the other places. What Cincy does have is numerous staircases though, which I suppose is another interesting thing that hilly cities would tend to have. Not as many as Pittsburgh or San Francisco mind you, but a decent number.

Old 08-21-2018, 08:30 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,768,878 times
Its not the amount of tunnels that's the topic, but cities with long tunnels and narrow tunnels which give a certain character to a place (and also often affect traffic ). Especially those that cause bottlenecks by merging more lanes into fewer, and toll plazas, and those that are very long and dark and cause people to drive slowly.

Old 08-21-2018, 09:59 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
Its not the amount of tunnels that's the topic, but cities with long tunnels and narrow tunnels which give a certain character to a place (and also often affect traffic ). Especially those that cause bottlenecks by merging more lanes into fewer, and toll plazas, and those that are very long and dark and cause people to drive slowly.
Agreed. But then there are modern tunnels that serve a high traffic count and mean a lot to a city's traffic system.

In my hometown of Seattle, there are a number of examples of this. First, in 1940, US Highway 10 was built into two (2-lane) tunnels from Mercer Island to downtown Seattle. They still exist today, but have been coupled with an additional 4 lanes of tunnel at the same location and became I-90 in the early 60's though the additional tunnels didn't get built until the late 80's.

Seattle also has one of the more interesting tunnel projects in the country right now. The Hwy 99 (Alaskan Way corridor) is set to open later this year. The previous corridor offered a double decker highway along the waterfront (deemed unsafe after the 2001 quake), but also contained the "Battery Street Tunnel", which took drivers from the waterfront to the Seattle Center area.

The new tunnel, (while delayed over the years), is now nearly complete. The new tunnel replaces the double decker highway, and also skirts around the old Battery Street tunnel.

While this will be a toll route, I think it will be a nice secondary N/S route through downtown. I can't wait to drive it!

Additional interest: https://seattle.curbed.com/2018/3/27...reuse-landfill

Last edited by pnwguy2; 08-21-2018 at 10:16 PM..

Old 08-22-2018, 06:59 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,238,711 times
Chicago has had this for getting close to a century. It was in Daniel Burnham's 1909 plan to rebuild Chicago's lakefront and changes to its street-grid. Lower and upper Wacker Drive was built.

It's been added to and rebuilt since its original build. Much is like a tunnel. Some might note the "Dark Knight scene of Batman on his bat-cycle driving thru its underground.....

This also shows aspects of it in a preview to the new 2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt. Driving thru parts. Though most here is more its open sections but parts of its deeper areas can be seen and arts separated by a gate. It also spreads out into newer areas of skyscrapers in a network for deliveries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCMHKt9g9Uo

Old 08-22-2018, 10:16 AM

1,234 posts, read 941,091 times
Kaneohe, Hawaii has the Tetsuo Harano Tunnel as an entrance similar to how Pittsburgh has the Fort Pitt Tunnel as an entrance.

Old 08-23-2018, 04:28 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,069,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Maybe true as far as vehicular traffic tunnels goes, but the city has numerous amounts of tunnels for various other reasons than vehicular traffic.

And the 9th street tunnel you cannot see all the way through to the other side, it goes underneath the national mall and you don't exit until your in SW.
The office buildings of Jeff Davis highway in Crystal City, Arlington Virginia, have interconnecting pedestrian tunnels totalling about a Mile long, with shops inside them. Although it's been over 30 years since I've been there.

Montreal, Canada, downtown, has several miles of underground pedestrian tunnels, lined with shops. A welcome respite from the city's brutally cold winters.

"Underground Atlanta" - downtown, was very popular during the 1970s, but was then converted from an entertainment into a shopping complex, and then one level of it was finally closed last year.

Last edited by slowlane3; 08-23-2018 at 04:40 PM..

Old 01-21-2019, 05:50 PM

1,234 posts, read 941,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
Pittsburgh has the Armstrong Tunnel is downtown Pittsburgh. This tunnel burrows beneath Duquesne University and connects to the 10th Street Bridge. The Armstrong Tunnel has a cool curve.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ar...!4d-79.9909964

Pittsburgh also has the Mt. Washington Transit Tunnel for buses only which is why the Google Maps Truck never went through it.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4321...7i13312!8i6656

Old 01-21-2019, 11:50 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Phoenix has a tunnel on I-10 in downtown, running between 3rd St and 3rd Ave (1/2 mile)

Old 01-22-2019, 02:02 AM

16,068 posts, read 10,726,642 times
There is a network of tunnels under parts of downtown St. Louis but not intended for routine vehicular traffic. Some are associated with the train station and some are part of the brewery neighborhood. Some were natural caves that were modified into tunnels in the 1800s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.