U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 03:59 PM

24 posts, read 15,086 times

Advertisements

Sometimes it seems like morality and ethics including treatment toward others depend on where you are like what country or state you are in. I just moved to California from Michigan and I already notice differences in terms of this. Directly, Michigan's more about what’s right, California's more about "love." “Kill ‘em with kindness” just don’t work as with MIganers (this is just ONE of many examples; as silly as it sounds, I do think sometimes it’s because of the weather- the colder weather there made people "harder" as opposed to the warmth of the West Coast here which has an almost lazy effect on people). What do you think?

Last edited by SilentReward; 08-11-2018 at 04:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2018, 06:07 PM

3,771 posts, read 2,563,165 times
I think it definitely has an effect on people when you walk outside to almost perfect weather year round it makes you more happy. When I first moved here I would go outside everyday, and I would be amazed at the perfect days. Just like plants we humans need the sun in our lives!!

Old 08-11-2018, 06:14 PM

3,738 posts, read 2,482,518 times
I don't think you'd have a GDP greater than all but six countries in the world (or whatever it is) if the state was full of lazy people unless we're just better at being smart and lazy at the same time.

Old 08-11-2018, 06:23 PM

1,521 posts, read 978,321 times
You've got three different threads on this (including the Michigan forum and the General U.S. Forum)? What exactly are you after?

Old 08-11-2018, 06:25 PM

3,624 posts, read 1,211,824 times
People in Michigan tend to be very cynical and calloused, likely because of the economic turmoil they've had to deal with for such a long time. which is a stark contrast from the happy-go-lucky and optimistic mindset of people in California.

But to the credit of people in Michigan, they're also very salt of the earth. What you see is what you get. It's not like California where everyone's pretentious about how they look or act.

I say this as a native of Detroit BTW.

Old 08-11-2018, 06:27 PM

^^^ I posted all of them in the most relevant places. I also thought the more post the more likelihood of answers because I don't know how many replies I will get. And in case you were wondering I have no bias to either of the places I mention- Michigan or California- they are both cool with me. But come to think of it, I probably did post them in too many forums so I tried to delete one of them but it was too late but I put a note

Last edited by SilentReward; 08-11-2018 at 06:49 PM..

Old 08-11-2018, 06:34 PM

^^ Exactly! Good one!

Old 08-11-2018, 06:36 PM

9,013 posts, read 2,740,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentReward View Post
Sometimes it seems like morality and ethics including treatment toward others depend on where you are like what country or state you are in. I just moved to California from Michigan and I already notice differences in terms of this. Directly, Michigan's more about what’s right, California's more about "love." “Kill ‘em with kindness” just don’t work as well with MIganers (this is just ONE of many examples; as silly as it sounds, I do think sometimes it’s because of the weather- the colder weather there made people "harder" as opposed to the warmth of the West Coast here which has an almost lazy effect on people). What do you think?
There could be something to your observation. It might be why the hippie movement of the 60's started in California.

Old 08-11-2018, 06:43 PM

236 posts, read 184,441 times
What would you say western Pennsylvania's mentality falls under? Michigan's or California's?

And how about Kentucky? Kentucky is one of the poorest states in the nation but it also suffers from the "Southern Hospitality" affliction (not an affliction in my eyes, lol).

Old 08-11-2018, 06:46 PM

17,574 posts, read 10,641,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentReward View Post
Sometimes it seems like morality and ethics including treatment toward others depend on where you are like what country or state you are in. I just moved to California from Michigan and I already notice differences in terms of this. Directly, Michigan's more about what’s right, California's more about "love." “Kill ‘em with kindness” just don’t work as with MIganers (this is just ONE of many examples; as silly as it sounds, I do think sometimes it’s because of the weather- the colder weather there made people "harder" as opposed to the warmth of the West Coast here which has an almost lazy effect on people). What do you think?
Two ways of looking at it.

1. "Love" with no morality at all

2. "Love" with morality controlling it.

Morality is dying as people only want to do everything they want and with no restrictions and use claimed "Love" to many times to cover love of self or for political gain.

Lazy? Nope not for the vast majority as they must work to stay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.