Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most quintessentially mid-western?
Nebraska 4 3.70%
Kansas 6 5.56%
Oklahoma 0 0%
Ohio 15 13.89%
Michigan 8 7.41%
Indiana 21 19.44%
Illinois 25 23.15%
Minnesota 3 2.78%
Wisconsin 4 3.70%
Iowa 46 42.59%
Missouri 4 3.70%
Kentucky 0 0%
North Dakota 0 0%
South Dakota 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 09:32 PM

16,077 posts, read 10,738,506 times

Advertisements

I pick Indiana — Chicago, being a large, world class city would disqualify Illinois. The Midwest is a place of small to medium sized cities and Indianapolis would be a closer fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2018, 10:17 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,540,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I pick Indiana — Chicago, being a large, world class city would disqualify Illinois. The Midwest is a place of small to medium sized cities and Indianapolis would be a closer fit.
Indianapolis commands a metro of over 2 million people. The city proper is nearing 900K.

That is not a small city.

Old 08-12-2018, 11:34 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,870,959 times
I think Indy is a good representation of the midwest. I actually like how this city has expanded out from the center to create a nice metro. But that may be its curse as well. Because it has expanded out in every direction, the core is somewhat lacking. How to increase urban housing downtown is the question. Until they come to this answer, the city will not meet its urban potential. (If that is indeed the goal...not even sure about that)...

There are some positives...the new airport is perfect. Now, they need to become a hub...but airlines today seem content with their present hubs. Additionally, the location of Indy is still spectacular. A hub of highways, no doubt. How can the city take advantage of this? Lots of questions...

Old 08-13-2018, 08:22 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,177,358 times
I don't support MI as the "most Midwestern". If you've spent any time in the U.P. (which is a significant portion of MI) you'll know it does not feel Midwestern. The "Northwoods" are very different than your typical Midwest. Not to mention MI borders Canada by land for a while in SE MI, is separated by a lock in north central MI, and has water boundaries for the entire northern and eastern sides. MI (like many states) can't be so neatly put in a box.

Old 08-13-2018, 08:59 AM

1,351 posts, read 894,489 times
I voted Iowa, but after reading through the responses for Illinois, I think I might change my opinion.

Iowa is less touched by any influence from other regions than any other Midwestern state (it's the only Midwestern state that doesn't border another country or Census Bureau region), but it's pretty much a Plains state and has few of the characteristics of the eastern Midwest/Rust Belt. Illinois, on the other hand has elements of Plains, Rust Belt/Eastern Midwest, Ohio Valley, and the Midwest's defining metropolis. Any topography, economic activity, or cultural touchstone associated with the Midwest can be found in Illinois. That can't be said for Iowa.

Old 08-13-2018, 09:05 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,887,330 times
My vote is for Minnesota. It has one big city, and outside of that, it looks like a plains state, not that different than Iowa and parts of Nebraska. The northern part of Minnesota is similar to the northern parts of Wisconsin and Michigan. I think it has a lot of typical Midwest characteristics.

Old 08-13-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
My vote is for Minnesota. It has one big city, and outside of that, it looks like a plains state, not that different than Iowa and parts of Nebraska. The northern part of Minnesota is similar to the northern parts of Wisconsin and Michigan. I think it has a lot of typical Midwest characteristics.
Northern Minnesota is the North Woods. Pretty unique among Midwestern states to parts of Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan. No part of any of the other Midwestern states resembles this area.

Southern/western Minnesota is a plains state for sure (with the exception of the Driftless Area). If you look at a map of Minnesota and draw a line along I-94 to the Twin Cities, and then down to Iowa via Highways 52 & 63, you'd basically mark the boundary between plains Minnesota and woods Minnesota.

There are parts of Minnesota that are extremely Midwestern, but given the amount of state that's northern forest, I'd have a hard time calling it "quintessential".

Old 08-13-2018, 09:12 AM

16,077 posts, read 10,738,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Indianapolis commands a metro of over 2 million people. The city proper is nearing 900K.

That is not a small city.
Did I say it was? It seems to be a midwestern-sized city while Chicago seems a bit large in comparison and is certainly one of our world-class cities. There are a number of cities on par with Indianapolis in the Midwest but Chicago -- not so much.

Old 08-13-2018, 09:21 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,887,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowanFarmer View Post
Northern Minnesota is the North Woods. Pretty unique among Midwestern states to parts of Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan. No part of any of the other Midwestern states resembles this area.

Southern/western Minnesota is a plains state for sure (with the exception of the Driftless Area). If you look at a map of Minnesota and draw a line along I-94 to the Twin Cities, and then down to Iowa via Highways 52 & 63, you'd basically mark the boundary between plains Minnesota and woods Minnesota.

There are parts of Minnesota that are extremely Midwestern, but given the amount of state that's northern forest, I'd have a hard time calling it "quintessential".
Well, except Wisconsin and Michigan. SO, it's not unique.

Old 08-13-2018, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Well, except Wisconsin and Michigan. SO, it's not unique.
3 states out of ~10. I'm not sure you understand what "quintessential" means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.