Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 09:09 AM

4,466 posts, read 1,605,239 times

Advertisements

Hey Guys! This is something I have been thinking about recently, as my husband and I make our plans to get out of the deep south. What areas do you think has the best all around four season climate? Within this area, what would be the best place to live, both for career, as well as family and entertainment opportunities?

What I classify as the best weather by season (by the actual dates of the seasons), and a few other things:

Spring- Cool to cold at the start, warm towards the end. Not really interested in "mud season", as I hear a friend of mine refer to when talking about the spring in Minnesota.

Summer- Warm to hot, but not so hot you feel like you have to stay indoors all the time. Here in south Alabama, my husband hates to go outside for about 4 months out of the year. You can't walk from your front door to your driveway without sweating, and don't get me started on what it is like when your car has been sitting outside all day. Somewhere with summer festivals would be cool as well.

Autumn- Warm, not hot, at the start, fairly cold at the end. Changing leaves, fall festivals, and community activities would be awesome. We are big into the "harvest festivals" and county/state fairs, and whatnot, and this is the perfect season for them.

Winter- Cold throughout, with some snow. We don't want to be somewhere that we will get snowed in several times a year or anything, but we do want to be somewhere that gets measurable snow a few times every winter, with some possible white Christmases. On average anyways, I know every year is different. Somewhere that has activities to do during this time as well. Somewhere that doesn't just close down when it snows or gets really cold.

Anyways, that is kind of the start. We have a young son, so of course things like safety and schools are a concern. Money isn't as big of a deal, and we are willing to compromise on our living arrangements if necessary. Our jobs are marketing related for the most part, as that is what our degrees are in. However, they are also business degrees, so we wouldn't necessarily be stuck with marketing gigs. We just really want somewhere different from where we are currently, that we can actually get some changing of seasons, and snow.

Any ideas would be appreciated! We are taking a trip in the next month or two to check some places out, so we need to narrow down a few areas. Thanks in advance!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2018, 09:39 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times
Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and the southern half of New York

Old 08-13-2018, 09:52 AM

93,275 posts, read 123,898,066 times
I’d include most of New England and areas near the Great Lakes outside of/away from the snow belts.

Places that get a lot of snow also have the equipment to remove it in a timely manner as well. So, don’t let that scare you away.

Old 08-13-2018, 09:58 AM

1,002 posts, read 917,424 times
I suspect anywhere east of the 'plains that has snowy winters is going to have a mud season. Where there's humidity and snow, you're going to have melt and some weeks or months where everything is soggy.

I don't think Vermont is quite what you're looking for, but my 2 cents on its seasons:

Spring - Everyone says the Northeast has glorious autumns and lousy springs, while the opposite is true in the West (because of mud season). I feel differently though. After a long, cold winter, when the sun comes out, temperature rises above freezing and flowers bloom, it's glorious. Things are soggy and slushy for a while but the land is verdant and flowers are everywhere. You can expect the weather to turn and get occasional snowshowers into April, however.

A couple of pictures I've taken during each season:

Summer - Vermont summers are incredible. The days are endless; in June, it's still twilight at 10pm, and the sky starts lightening again at 4:30. Most years (this year being an exception) you can count on one hand the number of days you'll wish for air conditioning. Generally, you open the windows in May and don't close them until late October. There are a few afternoons each week hot enough to jump in the water and enjoy it, but most are the sort you want to just sit on the lawn with a book and soak up the sun.

Hiking with my brother:

Autumn - Starting in October, the trees start to change, and evenings get a bit chilly. As the leaves drop, the mountains come out of hiding from behind the foliage. Pumpkins and squash, warm pies from the oven and drives through the mountains are what come to mind.

Winter - Starting usually in December but sometimes not until early January, everything turns white. There are a few weeks in the middle where it's bitterly cold, but for the most part, if you're dressed for it, it's fun to be outside. I usually walk to get my groceries in all but the coldest weeks, and take my car to empty parking lots after a fresh snow to tool around. Sometimes the short days and darkness can be oppressive, but it's a great time to celebrate with friends and family. Warm cocoa while watching the snow fall is lovely.

Vermont isn't for everyone, but it's one of the few places I've been where the streets and sidewalks are filled with people who enjoy being outside year-round.

Last edited by EckyX; 08-13-2018 at 10:10 AM..

Old 08-13-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and the southern half of New York
Any certain spots you think fit the best?

Old 08-13-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I’d include most of New England and areas near the Great Lakes outside of/away from the snow belts.

Places that get a lot of snow also have the equipment to remove it in a timely manner as well. So, don’t let that scare you away.
Well, it isn't necessarily a deal breaker, and if I found an area I fell in love with, I might be willing to try it out. I just don't want to be somewhere that I am stuck inside during blizzard conditions a few times a year. Yes, I know, that may be an exaggeration, as I have never lived up there, and only rely on anecdotes. Would love to check out the northeast though.

Old 08-13-2018, 10:17 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,963,335 times
Albuquerque sounds PERFECT for you. No, really. It does.

Old 08-13-2018, 10:20 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,886,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
Spring- Cool to cold at the start, warm towards the end. Not really interested in "mud season", as I hear a friend of mine refer to when talking about the spring in Minnesota.
This eliminates the whole East Coast. You really want a place like Denver. It has great seasonality but because it's so dry when the snow melts the ground is not mushy. Another option would be somewhere like Lake Tahoe, with perfectly dry summers, very mild falls, cold and snowy winters, and glorious springs with no mud season (again the dryness of CA and rocky soil doesn't permit that).

Old 08-13-2018, 10:20 AM

1,002 posts, read 917,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
I'd probably change that to Santa Fe / Los Alamos personally, and the areas north of them. Albuquerque gets a little too hot for me.

Old 08-13-2018, 10:21 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,886,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
I second that. The dry weather ensures no "mud season".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.