Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 01:35 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,477,229 times

Advertisements

What types of music do people of different ethnicities listen to where you live?

I think this thread is relevant because of the regional variations. For instance, I hear that in LA there is cult Chicano following of The Smiths/Morrisey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2018, 01:46 PM

724 posts, read 560,028 times
Millennials of all ethnicities - EDM. Everywhere. Please make it stop.

Old 08-13-2018, 03:21 PM

631 posts, read 562,394 times
In the Rio Grande Valley (South Texas), you hear a lot of Ranchera / Norteña music (basically Mexican Ranch / Western music). Young people are even into it. Little Joel Treviño from Brownsville did a fantastic job on La Voz Kids a couple of years back: https://youtu.be/yL4toqnFnFs.

Not sure about ethnicity as some 90% or more of people living there are either directly from Mexico or are descended from earlier Mexicans coming to the valley. Other Latin music is popular there as well. There also exists a Country-Western or Anglo-American Pop Music station or two. Basically, if you are Mexican/Mexican-American down there you are not *ethnic*, but if you are non-Hispanic white, black or Asian you are more the *outsider*.

Last edited by 2ner; 08-13-2018 at 03:55 PM..

Old 08-13-2018, 03:36 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I think this thread is relevant because of the regional variations. For instance, I hear that in LA there is cult Chicano following of The Smiths/Morrisey.
There is/was, as far back as when I was in high school (1997-2001) in Riverside.

There were a couple of cliques of Chicano dudes who would wear The Smiths and Morrissey (or even Depeche Mode, etc) shirts, patches, other related decorations on themselves. They had funny haircuts too. Some of them graduated into Dashboard Confessional fandom a few years later (lol).

I myself didn't have my The Smiths phase until the late 2000's. However, it endures. And I think everybody should have a The Smiths phase, Chicano or not.

Anyhow, IMO things have balanced out musically/ethnically over the past 20 years. When I was in high school, it sadly seemed your ethnicity determined your musical tastes (Black/Latino/Asians generally liked rap/hip-hop, Whites liked rock/pop, and any variation was sadly pretty rare). I myself was pretty hair-metal in high school, even though I arrived 10-15 years too late. I had no contemporaries.

However, I think things are better now, with wider spectrums of people enjoying wider musical variations, so what you describe will hopefully fall out of favor in the coming years.

Old 08-13-2018, 03:37 PM

8,333 posts, read 5,488,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubb Rubb View Post
Thank you. It sucks. The only type electronic music I like is either going to be aggrotech or industrial.

As to the question, everybody listens to everything now. I play in a death metal band in Houston and half of the people that show up to our shows or play in other metal bands here are Hispanic. Its probably no surprise since half the people that live here are also Hispanic. But we see all kinds: white, black, Asian, Hispanic, etc.

My wife is Asian and she likes boy bands.

One interesting thing of note is Mexican rap and its differences between Houston and Dallas. Almost all Mexican rappers in Houston speak English when they rap. Most Mexican rappers in Dallas speak Spanish when they rap. As to why that is, I havent the foggiest.

Old 08-14-2018, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Thank you. It sucks. The only type electronic music I like is either going to be aggrotech or industrial.

As to the question, everybody listens to everything now. I play in a death metal band in Houston and half of the people that show up to our shows or play in other metal bands here are Hispanic. Its probably no surprise since half the people that live here are also Hispanic. But we see all kinds: white, black, Asian, Hispanic, etc.

My wife is Asian and she likes boy bands.

One interesting thing of note is Mexican rap and its differences between Houston and Dallas. Almost all Mexican rappers in Houston speak English when they rap. Most Mexican rappers in Dallas speak Spanish when they rap. As to why that is, I havent the foggiest.
Was your wife born in Asia? I have to imagine that makes a huge difference in music taste

Old 08-14-2018, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubb Rubb View Post
House music is the BOMB

As for that corny Steve Aoki stuff, I'm not a fan

Old 08-14-2018, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ner View Post
In the Rio Grande Valley (South Texas), you hear a lot of Ranchera / Norteña music (basically Mexican Ranch / Western music). Young people are even into it. Little Joel Treviño from Brownsville did a fantastic job on La Voz Kids a couple of years back: https://youtu.be/yL4toqnFnFs.

Not sure about ethnicity as some 90% or more of people living there are either directly from Mexico or are descended from earlier Mexicans coming to the valley. Other Latin music is popular there as well. There also exists a Country-Western or Anglo-American Pop Music station or two. Basically, if you are Mexican/Mexican-American down there you are not *ethnic*, but if you are non-Hispanic white, black or Asian you are more the *outsider*.
Interesting, I wouldn't expect the radio to be so Latin dominated even in a heavily Latino area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count David View Post
There is/was, as far back as when I was in high school (1997-2001) in Riverside.

There were a couple of cliques of Chicano dudes who would wear The Smiths and Morrissey (or even Depeche Mode, etc) shirts, patches, other related decorations on themselves. They had funny haircuts too. Some of them graduated into Dashboard Confessional fandom a few years later (lol).

I myself didn't have my The Smiths phase until the late 2000's. However, it endures. And I think everybody should have a The Smiths phase, Chicano or not.

Anyhow, IMO things have balanced out musically/ethnically over the past 20 years. When I was in high school, it sadly seemed your ethnicity determined your musical tastes (Black/Latino/Asians generally liked rap/hip-hop, Whites liked rock/pop, and any variation was sadly pretty rare). I myself was pretty hair-metal in high school, even though I arrived 10-15 years too late. I had no contemporaries.

However, I think things are better now, with wider spectrums of people enjoying wider musical variations, so what you describe will hopefully fall out of favor in the coming years.
It was a Latino who told me about The Smiths here in New York, I don't think he's Mexican though.

I couldn't get into them, I think Morrisey has a great singing voice but I find their songwriting abilities to be lacking. As far as those kinds of bands go, I prefer The Cure.

I'm a mixed white/Latino guy from New York and I listen to EVERYTHING, and I really mean that. I like all sorts of 60/70s hard rock, disco, 80s/90s alternative, hip hop, house, country rock, metal, R&B, pop, funk, etc. My favorite band of all time is Nirvana.

I go through phases with what I listen to a lot of, right now I'm listening to a lot of reggaeton and it's a huge genre at the moment so it's pretty accessible.

Old 08-14-2018, 06:32 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,019,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count David View Post

There's a whole 2005 documentary which is focused on the love of LA Latinos for the Smiths. This was a mid-2000s movement though, so it's probably dead now.

I knew a lot of Mexicans who were into metal when I was younger as well. Indeed, it seems like Mexicans/Central Americans and Puerto Ricans/Dominicans tend to like very, very different styles of Anglo music in general.

Old 08-14-2018, 07:19 AM

6,375 posts, read 4,993,181 times
Seems like everyone in DC listens to the same boring modern EDM/electropop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.