Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 09:56 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,700,279 times

Advertisements

Denver is dangerous for Asians? No more so than it is for any other person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2018, 10:42 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
That's because the whites and Asians in those cities most likely live in safer neighborhoods. Put them in the same neighborhoods where blacks are being killed and they will likely die in similar numbers. That's why the thread is silly.
At least in Chicago it's still the case though. Uptown is probably the most dangerous area on the north side (although I lived there for 8 years and overall it's fine). The neighborhood is 55% white and 20% black. There are roughly 5-12 shootings there per year and virtually every single time it's always a black person who's hit/killed. I think there was one white man who got shot up there 2-3 years ago and everyone just went bonkers.

Even downtown and on the Near North Side where you get occasional late night shootings, it almost always seems to be a black person getting shot or maybe a hispanic guy.

A lot of it is just the groups getting targeted and the groups doing the targeting. There might be a shooting downtown, but usually when it's in the news the victim is almost always from the south or west sides and had a run in with someone else from those areas.

It's not about race, but it's about the socio-economic and the cultural situations and the conditions in those areas that are part of living in those areas and follow people around even when they leave those areas.

It's not common at all for the shootings in Chicago, even with thousands of them, to be random. Even when the "wrong person" was shot and it was a mistaken identity by the shooter, the unfortunately victim will be the same race as the person the shooter thought he was going after.

There are countless white people who travel through the south and west sides every day, who are there visiting, working, comcast workers, technicians, city workers, etc. etc. They aren't the ones who are victims of crimes and shootings, even when they work in those areas and are there every single day. They just aren't.

Old 08-22-2018, 02:29 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
This is metro not city proper. Boston and Providence proper are not the most safest for anybody. Especially not for blacks the homicide rate in Boston was 8.7 last year compared to roughly 3 for Los Angeles and New York almost 3 times higher.
The homicide rate over all in Boston was 8.7, counting all ethnic groups. The murder rate for Los Angeles is 7.4 per 100,000. New York City is around 3 per 100,000. And Boston's murder rate is actually lower than alot of other large cities in the USA especially when you compare it to cities like Kansas City, Oakland, Tulsa, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Atlanta, Washington DC, Baltimore,etc.

Old 10-15-2018, 07:02 PM

4 posts, read 3,269 times
Wow 2nd most dangerous city overall! Not surprised whatsoever.

Old 10-16-2018, 10:48 AM

16,082 posts, read 10,747,693 times
As a former researcher and statistician, I'd trust statistics that compared cities to themselves over several years to isolate trends rather than this type of comparison report. I actually would be curious to see statistics on attacks on homeless people as a group as we have had a number of unprovoked attacks on homeless folks, some fatal. Seems like it's becoming a "thing" to go attack homeless people.

Old 10-16-2018, 11:49 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times
List makes sense to me when looking at AA populations. Descendants of enslaved Americans tend to have the highest rates of homicides. Thus, metro areas that have a higher percentage of those descended from American slavery will have the higher homicide rates, as a general rule. I am not saying that slavery caused the higher homicide rates, but I don't want to say "black" because African immigrants don't display this higher propensity towards violence and many African countries, like Ghana, have extremely low homicide rates when compared to blacks in the US, Jamaica, Brazil, Caribbean, etc.

That having been said, the weather in warmer climates creates more opportunities for contact and hence violent crime. That is not to say that murders don't happen in Chicago or Detroit in January, because they do and usually around the holidays homicides rates rises. I am just saying that if the weather up north was as warm as the weather in the south or California, can you imagine what the murder numbers would be like for Chicago?

Historically (the last 10 years) states with the highest black homicide rates are Missouri, Pennsylvania and Michigan.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 10-16-2018 at 12:00 PM..

Old 10-16-2018, 09:57 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,927,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I'm surprised by Memphis and Hispanics
Maybe there's not many Hispanics there but the ones that ARE there are heavily involved in the drug trade and gangs.

Old 10-18-2018, 08:55 AM

2,657 posts, read 2,101,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
At least in Chicago it's still the case though. Uptown is probably the most dangerous area on the north side (although I lived there for 8 years and overall it's fine). The neighborhood is 55% white and 20% black. There are roughly 5-12 shootings there per year and virtually every single time it's always a black person who's hit/killed. I think there was one white man who got shot up there 2-3 years ago and everyone just went bonkers.

Even downtown and on the Near North Side where you get occasional late night shootings, it almost always seems to be a black person getting shot or maybe a hispanic guy.

A lot of it is just the groups getting targeted and the groups doing the targeting. There might be a shooting downtown, but usually when it's in the news the victim is almost always from the south or west sides and had a run in with someone else from those areas.

It's not about race, but it's about the socio-economic and the cultural situations and the conditions in those areas that are part of living in those areas and follow people around even when they leave those areas.

It's not common at all for the shootings in Chicago, even with thousands of them, to be random. Even when the "wrong person" was shot and it was a mistaken identity by the shooter, the unfortunately victim will be the same race as the person the shooter thought he was going after.

There are countless white people who travel through the south and west sides every day, who are there visiting, working, comcast workers, technicians, city workers, etc. etc. They aren't the ones who are victims of crimes and shootings, even when they work in those areas and are there every single day. They just aren't.
I would think the majority of shooting victims are the same individuals that been shot at or wounded multiple times during the same year. As far the ethnicity , there's plenty of white victims/ suspects especially when you factor in suicides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.