U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 01:13 PM

15,423 posts, read 21,603,185 times

Advertisements

Asheville, NC is an interesting town, but a little too strange even for me. It truely is like the San Fran of the Appalachians.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 04-04-2008 at 11:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 11:30 PM

5,216 posts, read 9,069,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
Asheville, NC is an interesting town, but a little too strange even for me. It truely is like the San Fran of the Appalachians.
Good point here. Some of these "colorful," "lively," "liberal," "tolerant," "progressive," [insert similar adjective] places, go way beyond simply leaning to the left politically, and really seem like places out of The Twilight Zone, at best tenuously connected to the real world most of us live in. If that appeals to the op, that's fine for the op, but in case it might not appeal, it is something worth noting. The same cautionary note applies to college towns. Some are not so far out in their own faraway orbits, but some are, so that's information you'd want to find out before moving there.

Old 04-05-2008, 12:07 AM

70,177 posts, read 60,983,436 times
Quote:
College Towns ideas:
Ann Arbor, MI
Marquette, MI
Columbia, MO
Madison, WI
Iowa City, IA
State College, PA

Even though Minnesota (Minneapolis) is around 45N latitude the winters would probably be far more tolerable due to a decent amount of sunshine. Minneapolis has more sunny days in the winter compared with areas of the Great Lakes like Chicago. In terms of landscape southern MN looks fairly similar to Iowa, but northern MN has more of a nordic feel with dense pine forests and many lakes.
If you don't like SF's trendiness you may not like some of these college towns, either. They tend to be knee-jerk liberal, quick to pick up on any new liberal idea w/o thinking much about it.

Minneapolis winters are not for the faint-hearted. Check the weather stats on one of the many weather websites. It's cold there in Dec, Jan and Feb.

I don't think anyone has mentioned any of the Colorado cities yet. Despite what you may have heard, the Front Range of CO has fairly mild winters. Check some of the weather websites for details. Denver is the biggie, but Boulder, Ft. Collins (if you like college towns, and Colorado Springs are good choices, too. Colo. Springs has a fairly large religious right population; may not be your cup of tea. There are a lot of Scandinavian-Americans around the area.

Old 04-05-2008, 12:10 AM

36,661 posts, read 58,242,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Minneapolis winters are not for the faint-hearted. Check the weather stats on one of the many weather websites. It's cold there in Dec, Jan and Feb.
Have we forgotten that the OP hails from Sweden? Minnesota winters are probably temperate by comparison.

I doubt it's an accident that much of America's Scandinavian heritage largely hails from Minnesota, Wisconsin and the Upper Peninsula. The settlers probably felt right at home there.

Old 04-05-2008, 12:24 AM

Also, I think that Minneapolis receives far more sunny days during the WINTER compared with many areas of Scandinavia. I feel that is a true positive due to the higher latitude of Minneapolis.

Old 04-05-2008, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Apart from an aversion to extreme cold and long dark days we are not that concerned with the weather (anything is better than Sweden!)
They want to get away from the extreme cold. They have also said they don't care if there are a lot of Scandinavians where they settle.

Old 04-05-2008, 12:29 AM

19,696 posts, read 51,412,127 times
Quote:
Also, I think that Minneapolis receives far more sunny days during the WINTER compared with many areas of Scandinavia. I feel that is a true positive due to the higher latitude of Minneapolis.
Heck, Minneapolis is sunnier than a lot of cities in the US, contrary to popular belief.

Old 04-05-2008, 12:54 AM

36,661 posts, read 58,242,773 times
Quote:
They want to get away from the extreme cold. They have also said they don't care if there are a lot of Scandinavians where they settle.
Right... uhm, Minnesota is not "extreme cold" compared to a nation partially situated above the Arctic circle and the southernmost tip of which is some 1,000 miles north of Minneapolis. Your admonition that "Minneapolis winters are not for the faint-hearted" rings amusingly hollow by comparison. And what the hell does "they don't care if there are a lot of Scandinavians where they settle" have to do with anything?

Old 04-05-2008, 01:46 AM

Quote:

Minneapolis does have a true four season climate unlike Scandinavia, though

I just feel that since Norway, Sweden, and Finland are located at around 50N latitude that a sunbelt location in the US might be a little bit of a harsh adjustment.
(I have some issues with the intense sun angle found south of 40N latitude, and I am of Norwegian ancestry.)

Chicago, Denver, or NYC region might also be good ideas for a "milder" climate.

Old 04-05-2008, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Right... uhm, Minnesota is not "extreme cold" compared to a nation partially situated above the Arctic circle and the southernmost tip of which is some 1,000 miles north of Minneapolis. Your admonition that "Minneapolis winters are not for the faint-hearted" rings amusingly hollow by comparison. And what the hell does "they don't care if there are a lot of Scandinavians where they settle" have to do with anything?
I used to correspond with a relative from north of Stockholm. We used to chuckle when he would tell us the weather was so cold, and tell us the temps. I have looked up the weather for Stockholm before. (This couple does not say they live in Lapland, BTW.) I tried to copy the graphic, but I had some difficulty, so I'm just copying the numbers. I found this information at:
Stockholm: Weather and Much More from Answers.com

Month Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec Year
Avg high F (C) 30 (−1); 30 (−1); 37 (3); 48 (9) 61 (16) 70 (21) 72 (22) 68 (20) 59 (15) 50 (10) 41 (5) 34 (1) 50 (10)
Avg low temperature F (C) 23 (−5); 23 (−5); 27 (−3); 34 (1); 43 (6); 52 (11); 55 (13); 55 (13); 48 (9); 41 (5); 34 (1); 27 (−3); 36 (2.5)

Here is the average high/low for Minneapolis in Dec, Jan, Feb, and March:

26/11; 21/3; 28/12; 40/23.
www.accuweather.com

Since the chart for Stockholm is difficult to read, I'll summarize the high/low for December, Jan, Feb, and March for that city:
34/27; 30/23; 30/23; 37/27.

So you see that in every month except March, it gets warmer in Stockholm. The nightly lows are colder in Minneapolis in every one of those months.

Plains10 is correct that Minneapolis has a more four season climate. The climate of Stockholm seems more like that of Seattle, another city with substantial Scandinavian population.

My daughter did a research project on Swedish immigration when she was in middle school. We all learned from it, and one thing we learned was that the Swedes immigrated to the midwestern US because of the Homestead Act, which gave free land to people willing to farm it, rather than b/c of any similarity to Sweden. There are many Swedes throughout the midwest and plains states, most of which look nothing like Sweden, e.g. Nebraska. Someone else mentioned Connecticut as a place with a lot of Swedes. Of all the above mentioned, Seattle and Conn. are most like the southern area of Sweden, which is where most of the people live.

My apologies for the chart, I can't seem to clean it up, but you can follow it fairly well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.