Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 01:21 PM

6,807 posts, read 6,038,878 times

Advertisements

I think most Bostonians wish that city hall were less recognizable!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2018, 01:45 PM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post

• Best logos/graphics/videos/slogans/package/etc. in city's PR media campaign, quest for visibility
I would have to vote for Asheville. The Explore Asheville website has very effectively marketed Asheville beyond a mountain city of 89K into what is arguably one of the most well known cities of it's size in the country, if not the top. https://www.exploreasheville.com/

Old 09-11-2018, 02:23 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,555,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I would have to vote for Asheville. The Explore Asheville website has very effectively marketed Asheville beyond a mountain city of 89K into what is arguably one of the most well known cities of it's size in the country, if not the top. https://www.exploreasheville.com/
Agree Asheville has done a great job, but how about Aspen, a town of only 6,800 people?

Old 09-11-2018, 02:59 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,829,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
I think most Bostonians wish that city hall were less recognizable!
well, if nothing else, it is virtually unreachable. The last time I was in Boston, pre-GPS era, I saw city hall, but could not figure a way to drive and see it. I think in that sense it lived in cow path obscurity.

Old 09-11-2018, 03:49 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,626,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Not all of it but a French City at the confluence of two rivers can be surmised by the general Public. The Chicago Flag could just as easily be the flag of OKC or Fresno, St Louis’s flag doesn’t really make sense of any other city.

You are incorrect!

The four stars on the Chicago flag represent four key events/milestones unique to the city's history. The six points on the star symbolize various industries critical to the region and the stripes, well you look it up so you can proactively educate yourself and impeach your ignorance.

Old 09-11-2018, 04:11 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
You are incorrect!

The four stars on the Chicago flag represent four key events/milestones unique to the city's history. The six points on the star symbolize various industries critical to the region and the stripes, well you look it up so you can proactively educate yourself and impeach your ignorance.
I literally said someone has to explain Chicago or DC to you nobody looks at the Chicago flag for the first time never seeing or hearing of it before and think “wow star #2 is totally the Great Chicago Fire”

Like the 4 stars could in the NOLA context could easily stand for Confederate, French, Spanish and American rule. or something.

The St Louis (and Denver for that matter) flag is self explanatory if you have a general idea of the cities existence.

Old 09-11-2018, 04:27 PM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Agree Asheville has done a great job, but how about Aspen, a town of only 6,800 people?
Aspen had the rich and famous aspect (and pro skiing) that helped draw crowds as far back as the 50s and 60s. Until fairly recently (the mid 90s) Asheville wasn't known for a whole lot and the reason why it has one of the largest collections of Art Deco buildings in the US is because it was so far in debt/economically depressed that there was little reason to tear down or modernize when much of that was happening in the 70s and 80s. While the Vanderbilts had made the nearby Biltmore Estate their decadent retreat from the Northeast, precious few really discovered Asheville until popularity of the second home/retirement population in the 1990s began latching on.

Old 09-11-2018, 06:16 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,966,855 times
I would have to add Nashville to the best PR campaign. Its nick name Music City is a slogan as well. When the city incentivized the TV show Nashville, that was one of the best decisions they could have made. Atlanta has had many great branding campaigns starting with The Big Peach to The City That's Too Busy To Hate to A Town and (I know I'm going to get beat up by Atlanta people) Black Hollywood.

I would agree that the St. Louis Arch is one of the most recognizable symbols or monuments for any city in the country. Add to that the Seattle Space Needle and the Reunion Tower in Dallas.

No other city has a more recognizable city hall than Philadelphia.

Old 09-12-2018, 05:19 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,455,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
What nicknames are you referring to?
The ones you you bolded in my quote??? The Windy City, motor city, gateway to the west, and city of broverly love

Old 09-12-2018, 05:29 PM

451 posts, read 364,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Not all of it but a French City at the confluence of two rivers can be surmised by the general Public. The Chicago Flag could just as easily be the flag of OKC or Fresno, St Louis’s flag doesn’t really make sense of any other city.
Maybe Pittsburgh if you want to go back to the Ft Duquesne days but yeah you’re right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.