Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 11:07 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,542,705 times

Advertisements

The American south in modern times is, in perhaps a bout of historic irony, more proud of being American than any other region overall.

Here in the northeast there exists a lot more nihilism, shame, misanthropy, and pessimism. I think a lot of it comes from excessivley-liberal politics and the Catholic religion, honestly. Both seem to embrace a culture of shame and guilt.

Please note the difference between liberal and excessively-liberal before any perturbed leftist tears my throat out.

Old 09-04-2018, 11:47 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,925,047 times
Its seen among SOME in the black community, like those who support Colin Kaepernick, and among some embattled liberals in bubbles like Asheville, Austin, Chapel Hill, and the immediate city of New Orleans. Most of the black community isn't radicalized though despite efforts by Obama and the liberal media to create divisions.

And among the liberal Yankee transplants in South Florida of course.

Old 09-05-2018, 07:32 AM

6,808 posts, read 6,043,031 times
I always found it a bit ironic that the people most likely to fly a confederate flag in their backyard are also the most likely to get mad when someone kneels for the national anthem.

Sometimes people are just weird like that. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Old 09-05-2018, 07:40 AM

12,837 posts, read 9,562,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
There is this bizarre extreme in Texas among certain groups of people. On one hand, you have the secessionists. On the other hand, this immense American patriotism to the point of fascism. Both are literally on two opposite ends of the spectrum. You really can't be both.
Can't be both for sure, but they both tend to be conservative right?

Old 09-05-2018, 07:45 AM

724 posts, read 503,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
I'm from the "true South" as you called it, though I moved away 14 years ago.

Pro-Confederate sentiment, in a literal sense, cannot be anything but anti-American, or at least anti-United States. The Confederacy was a separatist movement in rebellion against the United States. You cannot be pro-Confederacy and pro-America, because the objective of the Confederacy was to break America apart.

Now, Confederate symbols are used for purposes other than representing or supporting the actual historic Confederacy. People who use them claim various reasons or messages, and people who see them being used interpret the messages in various ways. The pro or anti Americanness of those alternative uses is often debated. And I'll just leave it at that.

Yeah I definitely agree that pro Confederate sentiment is ( in a sense at least ) definitely anti United States , though that begs the question of does being anti United States constitute being anti American , which is beyond the scope of this thread .

And yeah people obviously use the symbol for a variety of different reasons , many of them utterly non political in nature .

Anyways thanks for your input man .

Old 09-05-2018, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You do realize that the band is part of Civil War reenactments? They're not going to play The Battle Hymn of the Republic.

The song itself was first noticed in 1864 and formalized in the late 1890s.

Yup I know that the band is a group of reenactors , that said this thread concerns the sentiment behind the song and not the group itself ...

I'm not sure what you were trying to state with this message by the way , so I'd appreciate if you'd elaborate if'n you don't mind that is .

Old 09-05-2018, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
The American south in modern times is, in perhaps a bout of historic irony, more proud of being American than any other region overall.

Here in the northeast there exists a lot more nihilism, shame, misanthropy, and pessimism. I think a lot of it comes from excessivley-liberal politics and the Catholic religion, honestly. Both seem to embrace a culture of shame and guilt.

Please note the difference between liberal and excessively-liberal before any perturbed leftist tears my throat out.

Yup I must say it's rather interesting that so many people from a region which seceded from the USA are now very much pro USA . It's a topic that deserves a thread of its own I suppose .

Old 09-05-2018, 07:55 AM

As many others have already posted , anti American sentiment of the disaffected Black American and radical left/right wing variety is definitely present throughout the country . The purpose of this thread on the other hand is to discuss how prevalent the pro Confederate variety is in the contemporary former Confederate States .

I guess I wasn't specific enough in my OP , which is why I'm typing this post . That said old Lionel Fauquier ain't gonna get mad ( ) if anyone goes off topic , however he is primarily interested in this rather unnoticed form of anti American sentiment .

And here's another positive smiley just so nobody gets their feathers ruffled .

Old 09-05-2018, 01:50 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,542,705 times
Oh, well, in my experience truly pro-Confederate cultures were tightly knitted pockets of people who met in the woods for BBQ's where they talked about the Jews ruining America, Yankees ruining the south, and whatnot. A serious minority.

However, respect for the history of the south is prevalent all over, and many were actively trying to re-define the Confederate battle flag as a symbol heritage, not hatred.

Most people who fly the flag are not personally racist or whatever else the whiners accuse them of. They simply wear their history on their sleeve.

Old 09-06-2018, 02:32 AM

10,214 posts, read 15,925,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel Fauquier View Post
As many others have already posted , anti American sentiment of the disaffected Black American and radical left/right wing variety is definitely present throughout the country . The purpose of this thread on the other hand is to discuss how prevalent the pro Confederate variety is in the contemporary former Confederate States .

I guess I wasn't specific enough in my OP , which is why I'm typing this post . That said old Lionel Fauquier ain't gonna get mad ( ) if anyone goes off topic , however he is primarily interested in this rather unnoticed form of anti American sentiment .

And here's another positive smiley just so nobody gets their feathers ruffled .
There's no "anti-American" "pro-Confederate" sentiment. I'm from Louisiana and have also lived in West Virginia (in the culturally southern part). There is a clear anti-federal government sentiment both in South Louisiana and southern WV but its not "anti-American". Being against the federal government doesnt make you anti-American.

There's a parallel to the Civil War in that we still suffer from government overreach and there's still the sense that states rights aren't respected, such as the federal level forcing Obamacare, abortion, gay marriage, and economic overregulation on us. In West Virginia there's a LOT of resentment and anger over the War on Coal during the Obama era that has destroyed the livelihoods of entire communities. In Louisiana there's a lot of anger about how FEMA screwed over many people during the 2016 Baton Rouge area floods and during Hurricane Katrina. There's also how the flooding during Katrina happened because of the government in the first place because they're the ones who constructed the levees in such a manner and also failed to maintain them.

Many areas that are "flood areas" now were not flood areas in the 1800s and only became so because of how and where the government built levees in order to protect northern, upriver states. I have MANY friends who were screwed over by FEMA in 2016. Also FEMA failed to help a lot of businesses recover. It seems like though that members of Obama's base and illegal aliens were able to benefit from the disasters and get completely new, larger homes rebuilt and be able to be relocated out of the ghetto, but most middle class people were completly screwed over by FEMA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.