Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2019, 07:26 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Precisely! I think economics is the big draw for Texas cities, while, say Georgia, draws blacks for economics and cultural reasons.
I'll get more specific and say the Atlanta area. I say because I'm not sure as to how substantial growth is for other areas in the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2019, 07:39 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,391,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I think he may be referring to the Black cultural infrastructure of DFW vs Houston and Charlotte. Certainly that plays a role but it's definitely not the end-all, be-all. Obviously DFW's is sufficient for a good number of Blacks and when you add its booming economy, low cost of living, and central location, the numbers would indicate that DFW is more attractive for a wider swath of Black folks than Charlotte and is very comparable to Houston.
That's basically what I was saying but I wouldn't say it's more attractive to blacks than Charlotte. Charlotte is a much smaller city so statistically the raw numbers are going to be lower. Charlotte's percentage is still higher. We had this discussion / argument on the Dallas forum multiple times over the last couple of years (it gets closed every time) about the lack of a dominant black culture in Dallas compared to other metros in the southeast and even cities in the midwest and northeast that have a more dominant black culture. The reasons for this have been discussed extensively. Ultimately though economics play a greater role in the reason for people being relocating which is why DFW is so attractive, and it has developed or is developing a prominent black professional culture that it didn't really have 10 years ago.

Old 04-02-2019, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I'll get more specific and say the Atlanta area. I say because I'm not sure as to how substantial growth is for other areas in the state.
Blacks aren't moving to anywhere else in Georgia in significant numbers.

Old 04-02-2019, 07:43 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post

You are right. I wanted to say Georgia and the Carolina's big cities juxtaposed with Texas big cities....but then I just said Georgia for brevity.....really meaning Atlanta.

Old 04-02-2019, 07:46 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsville_secede View Post
That's basically what I was saying but I wouldn't say it's more attractive to blacks than Charlotte. Charlotte is a much smaller city so statistically the raw numbers are going to be lower. Charlotte's percentage is still higher. We had this discussion / argument on the Dallas forum multiple times over the last couple of years (it gets closed every time) about the lack of a dominant black culture in Dallas compared to other metros in the southeast and even cities in the midwest and northeast that have a more dominant black culture. The reasons for this have been discussed extensively. Ultimately though economics play a greater role in the reason for people being relocating which is why DFW is so attractive, and it has developed or is developing a prominent black professional culture that it didn't really have 10 years ago.
It's kind of hard to say that Charlotte is more attractive to Blacks than DFW based on the Black growth figures over the past decade. That's really the only objective criterion that we can use to assess 'attractiveness' which is otherwise a bit nebulous and subjective.

Old 04-02-2019, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
The thing about Texas large cities is that while they do have a significant and growing black populations, the cities don't have a "black city" feel. Texas cities have a "minority feel", with the Latino population likely being larger than the black population. The same is true for California large cities. These cities/metros feel "Hispanic", while cities/Metros like Atlanta, Memphis, Detroit.....feel much blacker, even if they have less blacks than Dallas or LA.

In Texas (and the southwest in general) Hispanics are the dominant minority group. In the Southeast, African Americans are the dominant minority group. This is why, to me, Texas does not feel as culturally black as Georgia or Mississippi, regardless of the growth of its black population because blacks in Texas play third string behind whites and Hispanics, overall.
This is true, to me Texas doesn't really have the dominant black culture feel that the Southeast has. Texas as a state in the 2010 census was only 11% black. Compare that to states in the southeast that are in the upper 20-30% range. Houston though demographically similar to Dallas does feel like it has a more dominant black culture though that's why I said Houston and Charlotte are probably still more favorable from a cultural aspect. When it comes down to the economy though, there's no doubt that Dallas is the clearly in an league of it's own as far as growth when it comes to the large cities so it will continue to attract huge number of black in search of better opportunities.

Old 04-02-2019, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It's kind of hard to say that Charlotte is more attractive to Blacks than DFW based on the Black growth figures over the past decade. That's really the only objective criterion that we can use to assess 'attractiveness' which is otherwise a bit nebulous and subjective.
But it didn't really. Charlotte attracted a higher percentage. DFW is almost 3 times the size of Charlotte, and Charlotte attracted more than half of the total number that Dallas did. I'd say relative to it's size Charlotte is more attractive to blacks, and certainly culturally. But I agree it's somewhat subjective and the total number for Dallas is still high regardless.

Last edited by Huntsville_secede; 04-02-2019 at 08:06 AM..

Old 04-02-2019, 08:15 AM

1,168 posts, read 777,404 times
If blacks are "playing third string" in Texas than what are blacks in all of the U.S. doing? Considering we're only like 13% of the population of the entire country (behind Hispanics)

Old 04-02-2019, 08:24 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsville_secede View Post
But it didn't really. Charlotte attracted a higher percentage. DFW is almost 3 times the size of Charlotte, and Charlotte attracted more than half of the total number that Dallas did. I'd say relative to it's size Charlotte is more attractive to blacks, and certainly culturally. But I agree it's somewhat subjective and the total number for Dallas is still high regardless.
Of course, it's going to be easier for a smaller city to register a higher growth percentage, either overall or for any particular group, than a larger city but your point is taken. Although I've not lived in Dallas, I'm still not sure I'd say Charlotte is more attractive for Blacks at least based on Black cultural infrastructure which is strong for its size but not really outstanding. I actually think the Triangle has the best Black cultural infrastructure in NC and its economy is just as strong but I think Charlotte posts bigger Black migration numbers because it's seen as an 'alternative' to Atlanta and has similar big city aspirations whereas that's not really true for the Triangle.

Old 04-02-2019, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
If blacks are "playing third string" in Texas than what are blacks in all of the U.S. doing? Considering we're only like 13% of the population of the entire country (behind Hispanics)

In the country yeah we make up 13%, but most of the blacks are pretty much concentrated in a few areas of the country Northeast / Midwest larger cities, and the southeast. In most of those places we have a much higher presence than the national average, especially in the cities. Texas cities are demographically different from the major Northeast, Southeast and Midwest cities. That's changing though as Texas continues to see a huge influx of blacks domestically and abroad. A lot of Hispanics are concentrated in California,Texas, and other western states for the most part. It's not as much concentration of them in the southeast areas and Midwest cities that have high concentrations of blacks.

Last edited by Huntsville_secede; 04-02-2019 at 08:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.