Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2019, 08:27 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
If blacks are "playing third string" in Texas than what are blacks in all of the U.S. doing? Considering we're only like 13% of the population of the entire country (behind Hispanics)
He speaking regionally. Texas borders and used to be part of Mexico so it's understandable why the Hispanic presence there is so strong compared to the rest of the South which doesn't have that longstanding Hispanic presence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2019, 08:43 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times
Its hard to say what city is more attractive, based upon where people are moving. It's not like everyone gets to spend two weeks or more in the top 25 metro areas to test the area as a place to relocate. I would think many people who moved to Dallas have never even been to Charlotte and many people who moved to Charlotte have never even been to Dallas. Thus, its not like people are actually choosing one city over another after having been to all 25 and deciding on the one that they like the best. That is now how people choose where to relocate.

I think often times its just about word of mouth or knowing someone who has moved to a place and says good things about it. Some cities get to be seen as a consequence being located on a major east/west or north/south corridor and hence its location allows it to be seen by many people passing through from one place to another. I image that many people driving from southern California to the deep south may pass through Texas and therefore places like Dallas might get a lot of blacks who leave California because its probable the nearest southern state with opportunity.

I don't think that when people choose a city that they are choosing it over all other cities, as being a better choice. I think they are just choosing it over the place that the left. Thus, its hard to say, simply by where people are moving, whether or not blacks find that place more attractive than another place blacks are moving.

Old 04-02-2019, 08:44 AM

1,168 posts, read 777,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsville_secede View Post
In the country yeah we make up 13%, but most of the blacks are pretty much concentrated in a few areas of the country Northeast / Midwest larger cities, and the southeast. In most of those places we have a much higher presence than the national average, especially in the cities.
The same is true for Texas. Blacks are overwhelmingly concentrated in the eastern third of the state. Houston's black population is more dispersed, but DFW has entire suburbs that are predominantly black.

Old 04-02-2019, 08:44 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
If blacks are "playing third string" in Texas than what are blacks in all of the U.S. doing? Considering we're only like 13% of the population of the entire country (behind Hispanics)
Some of this also depends on the Hispanic/Latino group as well. So, in the Northeast and even parts of the Midwest, many are black or of visible/known African descent(think of those from/with roots in the Caribbean) versus those in TX generally “mestizo”/of Spanish & Native descent(with some with African descent, think Mexico). This is an aspect that people may not think about or consider, given that it is an ethnicity.

Old 04-02-2019, 08:48 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Its hard to say what city is more attractive, based upon where people are moving. It's not like everyone gets to spend two weeks or more in the top 25 metro areas to test the area as a place to relocate. I would think many people who moved to Dallas have never even been to Charlotte and many people who moved to Charlotte have never even been to Dallas. Thus, its not like people are actually choosing one city over another after having been to all 25 and deciding on the one that they like the best. That is now how people choose where to relocate.

I think often times its just about word of mouth or knowing someone who has moved to a place and says good things about it. Some cities get to be seen as a consequence being located on a major east/west or north/south corridor and hence its location allows it to be seen by many people passing through from one place to another. I image that many people driving from southern California to the deep south may pass through Texas and therefore places like Dallas might get a lot of blacks who leave California because its probable the nearest southern state with opportunity.

I don't think that when people choose a city that they are choosing it over all other cities, as being a better choice. I think they are just choosing it over the place that the left.
Basically, as the people are likely just taking a direct path to said areas that others have taken before them. So, those going to Charlotte are likely to be from the Northeast and maybe the eastern portions of the Midwest. Midwestern

Old 04-02-2019, 08:51 AM

Quote:
The same is true for Texas. Blacks are overwhelmingly concentrated in the eastern third of the state. Houston's black population is more dispersed, but DFW has entire suburbs that are predominantly black.

But is that not also true for Hispanics in those metro areas?

Old 04-02-2019, 08:53 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,391,970 times
Quote:
No doubt, but I think the point is the black concentration in Texas is not of the level that it is in the southeast and there's a much higher Hispanic population in Texas cities than there are in these other areas. The Hispanic culture just feels more dominant there, which should be expected considering where its located in the country.

Old 04-02-2019, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Some of this also depends on the Hispanic/Latino group as well. So, in the Northeast and even parts of the Midwest, many are black or of visible/known African descent(think of those from/with roots in the Caribbean) versus those in TX generally “mestizo”/of Spanish & Native descent(with some with African descent, think Mexico). This is an aspect that people may not think about or consider, given that it is an ethnicity.
I get that totally, but as far as I know, even the "black" Hispanics are far more likely to claim their ethnic heritage above their racial identity, and they rarely align themselves with black American culture itself. We've all heard about those Dominicans that refuse to consider themselves black.

Old 04-02-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsville_secede View Post
No doubt, but I think the point is the black concentration in Texas is not of the level that it is in the southeast and there's a much higher Hispanic population in Texas cities than there are in these other areas. The Hispanic culture just feels more dominant there, which should be expected considering where its located in the country.
But how dominant the Hispanic culture feels depends on where you are in Texas (just like the U.S.). It does not feel dominant in Beaumont, Texarkana, Desoto, Missouri City, etc.

It's common knowledge that both Houston and Dallas have more Hispanics, but these are still urban areas with more than 1 million blacks in each. I think it's flawed logic to only look at percentages and ignore raw numbers.

Old 04-02-2019, 09:23 AM

We are kind of seeing an end of an era......akin to the end of areas like Harlem and Watts and what they represented for black people culturally. It was the intense segregation and racism of the era that gave birth to places like Harlem and Watts. Those places are no longer as black as they once were and are likely getting increasingly less black as time goes on.

The era of black dominated major cities is going the same route of the Harlem's and Watt's. The era peaked with major black cities like Washington, DC, Atlanta, Detroit, New Orleans, Baltimore, Memphis, etc. These places represented the apex of black politics as the local level, to run the principle cities in a major metropolitan area. In about 20 years, only one or two of these cities will still be majority black, if gentrification trends continue.

Those cities came about as the corollary of racism and white flight. New cities that are booming in the era of improved racial relationships are not creating those culturally strong black areas like they used to....as there really is no pressure to create such places anymore. There will never be a new Harlem, Watts, DC, Atlanta, Detroit, etc and what they represented for black people and culture. Those realities were born from intense racial oppression.

The new places sprouting up now, like Dallas, for example, just don't have a city with that type of historical legacy or cultural feel. The thing about places like Atlanta and DC, however, is that they have transitioned into being culturally strong metropolitan areas for blacks, if not black dominated major cities any longer. I don't that such can happen in Dallas or Houston because the Hispanic influence and growth is too strong.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 04-02-2019 at 09:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.