Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 10:56 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,887,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Absolutely. As an example, my Cleveland suburb of Lakewood, Ohio has vegan restaraunts, grocery stores leaning towards organic and vegetarian items and will soon be one of Ohio's medical marijuana dispensary locations. There's the music scene, outdoor activities, etc.

There is also a very large population of LGBTQ people here and a large Cleveland Clinic Health Center that has a special medical department to address their specific needs.

We are a more diverse population than Portland, OR were I used to live and Seattle in terms of ethnicity and color.

Yet I find my friends in the PNW as well as the West Coast haven't a clue as to the fact that there are actuality communities like mine in the Midwest and beyond
That looks like a great area! And with Transit right into the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2018, 11:21 AM

389 posts, read 329,998 times
The residents of rust belt cities most certainly benefit in the form of a higher QOL due to the affordable cost than they would otherwise experience in a more pricey location.

Otherwise people move to (a) retire - typically a hot weather location (b) a specific job worth moving for (c) chasing a rainbow which probably does not exist. A & C are definitely out for the rust belt. B is slowly returning.

Old 09-08-2018, 11:49 AM

3,573 posts, read 3,070,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms12345 View Post
The residents of rust belt cities most certainly benefit in the form of a higher QOL due to the affordable cost than they would otherwise experience in a more pricey location.

Otherwise people move to (a) retire - typically a hot weather location (b) a specific job worth moving for (c) chasing a rainbow which probably does not exist. A & C are definitely out for the rust belt. B is slowly returning.
A is definitely happening for former expats due to higher QOL and lower COL, although many may keep a winter retreat in the south. NY also does not tax government pensions, and excludes the first 20k of all others, which levels the playing field for some. I also have other family members who have become re-pats in the last couple of years. Not sure how large a group constitute re-pats, but I do know several besides only family members.

Old 09-08-2018, 01:43 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms12345 View Post

Really? I moved to the Cleveland area to retire. I know others who have as well in order to save money. And for those who like hot weather, Florida is not that far for snowbirds.

Old 09-08-2018, 03:34 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,893,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
People with options don't want to live in the rust belt. The large and growing homeless in the expensive, trendy coastal cities might have an easier life in the rust belt, maybe they could even afford housing. Then again they prefer warmer weather.
Believe or not, people do choose to live here.

I have been offered jobs in the larger cities in different areas of the country but purposely stay in the Rust Belt.

Not everyone who lives here hates it. In fact, most of the people I know enjoy living here

Old 09-08-2018, 03:38 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,887,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sad_hotline View Post
Is Mount Lebanon one of those desired neighborhoods? It's absolutely beautiful.
Mt. Lebo has one of the best school districts in the state.

Old 09-08-2018, 03:42 PM

755 posts, read 471,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
There are a limited number of great neighborhoods in Pittsburgh to choose from. Those neighborhoods are in the news, make the top ten lists, and are the ones everyone visits. The housing costs are astronomical and they keep increasing because the entire population wants to live in those 5 or so small neighborhoods and suburbs. The only affordable options are the slums which nobody wants and are partially to blame for the yearly population losses. The average housing cost makes Pittsburgh look affordable but the reality is much different. The poorer dilapidated neighborhoods bring down the average.
I have noticed since moving to Pittsburgh that is not the whole picture. Geographically the city is tiny at 56 sq mi. There are nearby burbs that in most cities would be in the city proper that have good public transp access, good schools and public services with many 3BR homes in good condition in the $150-250 range: Dormont, Greentree, Shaler, Ross, Baldwin, Whitehall and Bethel Park come to mind. Career progression seems to be the biggest limiting factor for more in-migration. The QOL is quite high here though.

Old 09-08-2018, 05:59 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,580,635 times
At the time of my visit to Pgh (10 yrs ago) I found the West side/Elliot overlook neighborhood on the hill to look pleasant but not overly gentrified. That was one of several. So I am confused by the statements that areas in Pgh are either trendy and expensive or battle zone ghettos.

Old 09-09-2018, 04:17 AM

2,385 posts, read 2,338,616 times
Another issue that hasn't been brought up is there are states in the Rust Belt that have a local income tax, and sometimes a school district tax(on TOP of the state income tax). To some of these people the added costs/annoyance ain't worth it and they might be better off where they at.

It's a factor for me as I live in one of those states. Despite that, I'm still considering moving west. For someone in my situation(working class not even making 35K) the rent/cost of groceries/job opportunities might be enough to make up for it. In parts of Milwaukee, Indy & upstate NY I might be paying $50-100 less than what I'm paying for a 1BR apt in a similar or nicer hood, with utilities included. And don't get me started on the rents in St. Louis, Toledo or Dayton.

Old 09-09-2018, 06:05 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,887,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley Barker View Post
I have noticed since moving to Pittsburgh that is not the whole picture. Geographically the city is tiny at 56 sq mi. There are nearby burbs that in most cities would be in the city proper that have good public transp access, good schools and public services with many 3BR homes in good condition in the $150-250 range: Dormont, Greentree, Shaler, Ross, Baldwin, Whitehall and Bethel Park come to mind. Career progression seems to be the biggest limiting factor for more in-migration. The QOL is quite high here though.
Your opinion of those suburbs is not the norm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.