Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 11:15 PM

31 posts, read 23,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Boise.

If that isn't green or mild enough, Medford OR.

Or Fort Collins or Colorado Springs CO.
I do like Boise! However, I have more family and friends on the East coast so would probably prefer to go out that way. Boise is a great little city and I love the greenbelt. I have never been to Fort Collins and last went to Colorado Springs like 15 years ago. Probably out of my budget!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2018, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
Austins average highs are under 95 in the fall.However i think it may be too hot for you.Austin does not have a super big airport i dont think.
Yes, I think it fits what I am looking for in just about everything besides the heat. Looking at the averages for last year, it seems that most days are in the 80's until at least November. Coming from Phoenix that would be brutal - I need to at least feel like I am getting a break in the extreme heat! Otherwise, it's a great city - I love the bike path and all the eclectic restaurants and overall vibe.

Old 09-14-2018, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Don't pick the southeast if you dislike humid heat in summer or have never experienced enough to know how you handle it.

2 weeks? Rushing a move can backfire.

I lived in Florida and tolerated the heat quite well especially with the hefty tree coverage and mostly cloudy skies. Just got a bit boring day after day of the same weather.

Yeah, it's a quick move. I was set on going to either Charlotte, Austin, or Greenville but changed my mind due to the many negative things I've read on each and also the current temperatures which are still in the 90's for each. Looks like all 3 will be quite hot in the fall.

Old 09-14-2018, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Take a look at Asheville NC. I can't swear to how easy it is to bike there because the region is relatively hilly. But it meets all you other criteria easy--good food and drink, an hour from Charlotte for the airport, arts-oriented, liberal to counter-cultural vibe and health-conscious populace, moderate four seasons and moderate rent, a lively downtown, and nature, forests, lakes, and trails all around. The usual knock against Asheville is that there are few good-paying jobs there (it's got a big tourist economy), but that doesn't apply, obviously, if you work from home. So check it out.
It looks like a gorgeous area with lots of nice hiking trails and great restaurants. Not sure if it would get a bit boring after a while as I am originally from a big city. I lived in Flagstaff for a while which I hear has a similar vibe and recreational opportunities. Flagstaff was a decent place to live asides from being way too far from a major city (2.5hrs) and overall feeling a bit limited in amenities and cultural events.Wish I had time to check it out - it's so hard to figure things out searching online!

Old 09-14-2018, 11:36 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,260,875 times
Richmond Virginia checks everything on your list except location. Richmond’s airport sucks but we are 2 hours from DC which has 2 nice airports. You’re not going to get to any major cities from here in 45 minutes even if you were the only car on the road as Virginia Beach and DC are 2 hours away. Other than that I believe y’all would enjoy Richmond city.

Old 09-15-2018, 12:37 AM

2,503 posts, read 3,541,008 times
Richmond does seem to fit the bill, although it was a tobacco town and probably has more smokers than average. Maybe Pittsburgh?

Minneapolis-Saint Paul definitely fits, but it's large and probably too cold for Arizonans. Smaller but not much warmer: Madison, Burlington, maybe Grand Rapids. All have surprisingly outdoorsy cultures.

Mid-sized metros generally don't have great air service, if you need to travel for work.

Old 09-15-2018, 06:25 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,073,305 times
I'm guessing that Ann Arbor would meet most of these qualifications.

Old 09-15-2018, 07:03 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
Richmond does seem to fit the bill, although it was a tobacco town and probably has more smokers than average.
Actually former tobacco towns often have far fewer smokers given many are (or have) been booming with new development/revitalization which typically brings in a healthier demographic. Virginia has also just enacted a smoking ban for all restaurants and bars, a huge step from one of the two primary tobacco states.

Old 09-15-2018, 10:51 AM

8,495 posts, read 8,783,634 times
Might consider Charlottesville and Roanoke VA.

Pittsburgh might do, especially if your definition of mid-size metro is that size. My personal definition of mid-sized is much smaller. What about Morgantown WV? 30k in city but 140k in metro. That is probably too small for you, but it is an interesting place with a university and closer access to outdoor sites.

Knoxville hasn't been mentioned yet. Live in Farragut, Marysville, one of the lake areas... Or Chattanooga. Or Athens GA. Lexington KY.

Is Fall to you September? In the South it is October and November. Nashville's average high in Sept. is 82. Oct., 72. Nov., 60. Places mentioned further south, a bit higher. Charlottesville about 3 degrees cooler.

Last edited by NW Crow; 09-15-2018 at 11:26 AM..

Old 09-16-2018, 10:23 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,399,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEPatriotsfan82 View Post
I lived in Florida and tolerated the heat quite well especially with the hefty tree coverage and mostly cloudy skies. Just got a bit boring day after day of the same weather.

Yeah, it's a quick move. I was set on going to either Charlotte, Austin, or Greenville but changed my mind due to the many negative things I've read on each and also the current temperatures which are still in the 90's for each. Looks like all 3 will be quite hot in the fall.
What negative things did you hear about Charlotte and Greenville?

I think the weather is fantastic in the fall in Greenville and it is typically cooler than most of the southeast being close to 1000 feet above sea level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.