Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 04:44 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,397,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
While Duluth certainly has a strong connection to the Rust Belt (it's where most of the iron ore that went to the furnaces in Rust Belt cities Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Pittsburgh and Buffalo was shipped out of), I agree that Duluth is NOT a Rust Belt city.
Hmm I think the previous poster is actually saying Duluth IS a Rustbelt city (and I agree).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2018, 05:09 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,054,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Hmm I think the previous poster is actually saying Duluth IS a Rustbelt city (and I agree).
Agreed. The original term Rust Belt was coined for industrial/manufacturing centers that had lost a substantial amount of their jobs in those sectors through the 60's, 70's and early 80's. This included most legacy metro's big and small in the Midwest and Northeast. There were also some Rust Belt cities that fell outside of these regions as well.

Somehow on here the meaning of this has evolved to largely only mean Great Lakes cities that haven't started gaining population in the core city again. Duluth has definitely gotten a trendy vibe over the last 20 years or so. It still has stagnant, or slightly declining population, it's still 20% off of it's peak core population. I'm not sure how it wouldn't be a Rust Belt city. I would also assert that Grand Rapids struggled from many of the very same problems Rust Belt cities suffered, including an rapidly declining core and almost abandoned downtown in the 70's and 80's. Is it our collective intention on City-Data is to provide exit criteria for a city to no longer have the Rust Belt designation? A city CAN be considered Rust Belt, AND recovered from the ails that the term was originally coined for. I don't know why so many of us insist on only using it in a negative connotation.

Old 09-21-2018, 05:41 AM

5,509 posts, read 9,486,726 times
Quote:
I don't know why people think Rust Belt cities don't have nice neighborhoods, public institutions, suburbs, parks, beaches, etc. Perhaps they don't understand what a "Rust Belt" city is? Rust belt cities are those which thrived in the old 20th century industrial belt of the US. Before industry left, there were lots of well-paying industrial jobs and strong unions making for a robust economy. The industrialists who came from these cities contributed heavily in the city's culture and public facilities (theaters, libraries, parks, etc.). Well paid management created a demand for good schools and pleasant neighborhoods for themselves. Just because many areas of these cities look like "dumps" doesn't mean these cities were always dumps. Even some of today's "dumpy" areas, the bones are still good.
^This. The rust belt was the silicon valley of the late 19th century and first half of the 20th. The east coast, and maybe some west coast cities--like San Francisco, had old money. But, if you wanted to make money, you went to the rust belt. This is why there are so many great institutions here, and why there are so many quality neighborhoods here. (Even if they have suffered from neglect over the last few decades.)

Old 09-21-2018, 06:10 AM

389 posts, read 329,998 times
Quote:
I don't know why people think Rust Belt cities don't have nice neighborhoods, public institutions, suburbs, parks, beaches, etc.

For the same reason they think a city like LA is completely overran with gangs, crime, and homeless. They have never been there.

Old 09-21-2018, 06:18 AM

389 posts, read 329,998 times

For me that whole maritime vibe is a surprise. The kind of thing I would expect to find in a place like Gloucester MA, but not necessarily in the heartland.

Last edited by ms12345; 09-21-2018 at 06:32 AM..

Old 09-21-2018, 06:20 AM

9,971 posts, read 5,667,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
Starting with Gary Indiana...which has better beaches than most all American cities

https://youtu.be/itgz348Kutw
Maybe that's because most all American cities don't have any beaches. My guess is those that don't aren't very jealous of the industrial smokestack ambiance that's a staple feature of most Indiana beaches.

Old 09-21-2018, 07:46 AM

1,083 posts, read 1,034,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
So Duluth's geographical location? Or that people don't realize it's a rust belt city at all?

For the record, I love Duluth.

The thing I wish people would realize is that "Rust Belt" is a term that describes certain cities in a region. Not every city in a region. Madison, WI is not a Rust Belt city. I wouldn't describe Columbus, OH as one either.
I consider Duluth a Rust Belt city for the following reasons:

1. Great Lakes region
2. Midwest
3. Industrial boom driven by manufacturing, iron, and steel followed by large population decline and economic distress.

It meets practically every definition of rust belt one could have aside from being in OH or PA.

Old 09-21-2018, 07:55 AM

1,083 posts, read 1,034,520 times
Quote:
While Duluth certainly has a strong connection to the Rust Belt (it's where most of the iron ore that went to the furnaces in Rust Belt cities Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Pittsburgh and Buffalo was shipped out of), I agree that Duluth is NOT a Rust Belt city.
What about Duluth doesn't make it a rust belt city? Is it because it is in Minnesota?

I literally can't think of an objective characteristic about Duluth that excludes it from the title of rust belt other than it being as far west as it is in Minnesota.

Old 09-21-2018, 10:12 AM

2,496 posts, read 3,369,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Maybe that's because most all American cities don't have any beaches. My guess is those that don't aren't very jealous of the industrial smokestack ambiance that's a staple feature of most Indiana beaches.

From the westernmost point of the Indiana Dunes to the East there are basically two stretches of beach...one 6 miles long and one 14 miles long with one Steel mill between them.

And from the entire 20 mile stretch you actually see one of the world's greatest skylines across the water. And btw, the mills in NWI are cleaner now than at anytime in history, and US Steel just announced a 750,000,00 investment in their Gary works which includes strengthening environmental protection.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/757artography/22250307355

Old 09-21-2018, 11:11 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,174,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsnicker3 View Post
Duluth, Minnesota is plopped in the midst of a massive pine forest on the shores of Lake Superior. It is (un)surprisingly active and outdoorsy for a rust belt city.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
So Duluth's geographical location? Or that people don't realize it's a rust belt city at all?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsnicker3 View Post
I consider Duluth a Rust Belt city for the following reasons:

1. Great Lakes region
2. Midwest
3. Industrial boom driven by manufacturing, iron, and steel followed by large population decline and economic distress.

It meets practically every definition of rust belt one could have aside from being in OH or PA.
I think there's been a misunderstanding. I agree that Duluth is a Rust Belt city.

My original question was in relation to the thread topic. You described Duluth. I didn't understand what you felt people would be confused by. It's geographic location/climate, the woods and it's outdoorsy vibe or do you feel people would be surprised to learn Duluth is a Rust Belt city? Clearly there are people in this thread that either didn't realize this or don't agree (not me).

Also, another posted alluded to the Rust Belt label being temporary. I disagree. Of course I don't find it an offensive term and one to be shed. It's a way to describe certain cities in a region. The cities may have changed (what city hasn't) but they're still Rust Belt cities. There aren't any new Rust Belt cities. Perhaps one day there will be a similar situation that changes cities in a particular region in a similar manner but they'll be labeled with a new name. The Rust Belt isn't leaving. I grew up in the Rust Belt and I live in a different Rust Belt town now. I love Milwaukee and it's undergoing great changes but it's still part of the Rust Belt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.