U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 10:14 PM

33 posts, read 178,001 times

Advertisements

My family is looking to relocate from Pittsburgh, and we would love to live down South. I spent some time living in Louisiana and loved the slower pace, interesting people and the charm of place. I would love to raise my 2 boys in the South. The only problem is we are short on the time and money needed to scout out the 'perfect' place. Any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

I like cities and walking and public transportation. I like mountains and water and friendly people who talk to each other. I do not like sprawl, stripmalls, crime or closed-mindedness. I also need good public schools and moderate home prices. I have no preference for the size of the city, but I am looking for something with a special kind of charm.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 06:15 PM

7,947 posts, read 9,503,907 times
Well here in Arkansas, Hot Springs, Fayetteville, and the Little Rock metro would fit your desires.

Hot Springs probably has the most charm. Its historic and its a tourist town, but its going to have the least job opportunities. Fayetteville is a nice city and a college town with BEAUTIFUL scenery, but most of the jobs are 30 miles north in Bentonville and Rogers (home of Wal-Mart) and the area is fast growing with miles and miles of strip malls and McMansion subdivisions. If you stay in south Fayetteville near the university you should find it pretty charming and thats where the natural beauty is. NW Arkansas as a whole has great schools and relatively low crime but as I said its very cookie cutter outside of Fayetteville. Little Rock is by far the most urban city in Arkansas, but there is also a high crime rate depending on which area of town you live. There are some good schools in LR but the district as a whole leaves much to be desired. You would probably like the Hillcrest/Heights areas of LR. They are historic, have low crime, and it has great natural beauty. It is also a very "liberal" area. WLR is also nice with low crime and an easy commute to downtown, but like Rogers/Bentonville and most suburban areas, its conservative and you're in cookie cutter central. LR has plenty of suburbs to choose from as well and they all have excellent schools comparable to those in NW Arkansas.

The truth is if you want to live in an urban setting in the South, you are most likely going to have less than stellar school districts and higher crime. There are trade-offs and thats why most people perfer to live in the suburbs.

Also look at places like Knoxville and Chatanooga, TN, Asheville, NC, and the Raleigh-Durham area.

Last edited by bchris02; 04-03-2008 at 06:48 PM..

Old 04-03-2008, 06:43 PM

5,846 posts, read 13,040,556 times
You should defiantly consider Louisville, KY- unless you want really mild winters

L'ville has a very laid back vibe, lots of nice historic neighborhoods, pedestrian friendly shopping districts, and is among the safest cities in the US (8th safest over 500K, 22nd safest over 250K)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/de/WaterfrontPkDwnt.jpg/800px-WaterfrontPkDwnt.jpg (broken link)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/74/4th_and_hill.jpg/800px-4th_and_hill.jpg (broken link)

Old 04-03-2008, 10:21 PM

Louisville looks nice - love those brownstones. I should have specified in my original posting that I want a place with a fair amount of sunshine. We are moving from Pittsburgh and I don't think I can take any more gloomy. What do you think of Louisville weather?

Also, thanks for the Arkansas info. Little Rock would definately be out based on the crime, but Hot Springs may be nice.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:03 PM

Do you know what area of town the brownstones are in - they sure are pretty. Also, can you tell me a little more about Louisville's funky neighborhoods. I saw quite a few nice, cheap, historic houses in Southern IN - know anything about it?

How about cities in the Georgia/South Carolina area? Spanish moss would be a definate plus.

Old 04-05-2008, 01:00 PM

114 posts, read 314,047 times
Memphis is the greatest city in the South. Just steer clear of North Memphis...East Memphis is very safe, though.

Old 04-05-2008, 01:26 PM

29,910 posts, read 5,537,507 times
though i'm not a big fan of big cities, i would say the "best" southern city has to be either Atlanta, Birmingham, or Nashville.

my favorite city in the south is probably Boone, NC. but i dont think it's the "best" city in the south.

Old 04-05-2008, 02:40 PM

8,524 posts, read 8,317,300 times
What you want is a town not a city. You have listed so many things it's hard to narrow it down. I would go back and pick only a few items and go from there. I don't think you are going to find ALL of what you're looking for in any "city". Also the south is the "new north", meaning thousands of Northerners are moving down south so therefore the down south of yester year( charm,southern hospitality,etc...) is slowing fading away. I go down south often and it feels like I am still in the midwest or up north. It feels nothing like how it did when I was a kid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnini View Post
My family is looking to relocate from Pittsburgh, and we would love to live down South. I spent some time living in Louisiana and loved the slower pace, interesting people and the charm of place. I would love to raise my 2 boys in the South. The only problem is we are short on the time and money needed to scout out the 'perfect' place. Any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

I like cities and walking and public transportation. I like mountains and water and friendly people who talk to each other. I do not like sprawl, stripmalls, crime or closed-mindedness. I also need good public schools and moderate home prices. I have no preference for the size of the city, but I am looking for something with a special kind of charm.

Thanks for your help!

Old 04-06-2008, 07:54 PM

Chicago,

I hope you are wrong. I have my mind wrapped around this place, but sometimes I feel I was born in the wrong time.

Old 04-06-2008, 11:33 PM

97 posts, read 542,275 times
The best Southern city in my opinion is 230 miles south of Pittsburgh. It's none other than Charleston, West Virginia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.