Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 01:38 PM

1,574 posts, read 5,116,314 times

Advertisements

I am originally from California, Asian-American- not black- but have a perspective on racial issues. I second the recommendations about California- in the vein of racial diversity..however agree racial diversity has nothing to do with people mixing together, as that is not necessarily the case in California- although more likely than in the East.

I was surprised with Dallas. I think it is much more diverse than I ever imagined, and it seemed pretty integrated. Of course you'll still be exposed to all types of subcultures there.

I think there are more and more African-Americans settling in Seattle, though it is true that is one of the parts of the US with less presence of the stereotypical "African-American" subculture. However, Pacific NWsters are among the most tolerant racially, in my opinion. They are less likely to bring in any form of the "race card" as in other parts of the US. Regarding the Blacks, Id say those in the Pacific NW seem to be less likely to fall into the "Stereotypical Black" dimensions which you raised a point about.

Also, as I am now in Vancouver 2.5 hrs north of Seattle, people will love you here- infact you will not at all be judged but in many cases likely have alot of interest directed towards you (if you know what i mean)! But the culture is different and may be an adjustment for an African-American who chooses to settle here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 03:17 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,704,308 times
I am also from VA, I'm from Richmond and it is A LOT more "southern" compared to DC so I fully know what you mean beaing in your situation. I too am looking for what you are looking for. I liked what I saw in Orlando, Florida and it is DEFINITELY worth the trip if you've never been there and you are from VA area. I would move there but it is way too hot for me sadly.

This brings me to CA.. I've read many things on CA. From the state being bankrupt to the drug issues. Is it really as bad as it is being reported? What are areas that are not so expensive or hot yet safe and a good place to live for a college student?

And OP if you find some place let me know!

Old 12-23-2009, 08:16 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,201,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
I am originally from California, Asian-American- not black- but have a perspective on racial issues. I second the recommendations about California- in the vein of racial diversity..however agree racial diversity has nothing to do with people mixing together, as that is not necessarily the case in California- although more likely than in the East.

I was surprised with Dallas. I think it is much more diverse than I ever imagined, and it seemed pretty integrated. Of course you'll still be exposed to all types of subcultures there.

I think there are more and more African-Americans settling in Seattle, though it is true that is one of the parts of the US with less presence of the stereotypical "African-American" subculture. However, Pacific NWsters are among the most tolerant racially, in my opinion. They are less likely to bring in any form of the "race card" as in other parts of the US. Regarding the Blacks, Id say those in the Pacific NW seem to be less likely to fall into the "Stereotypical Black" dimensions which you raised a point about.

Also, as I am now in Vancouver 2.5 hrs north of Seattle, people will love you here- infact you will not at all be judged but in many cases likely have alot of interest directed towards you (if you know what i mean)! But the culture is different and may be an adjustment for an African-American who chooses to settle here.
So out of curiosity, how did you end up in BC?

Old 12-24-2009, 05:08 AM

1,111 posts, read 2,332,010 times
Yes, much of the West Coast is tolerant of races but the OP wouldn't be welcomed everywhere exactly. If I were him, I'd stay out of the mostly Asian neighborhoods as a general rule of thumb. I am Asian-American myself, and I've seen the tremendous amount of racism other Asians exhibit towards black people. Yes, there are exceptions but seeing as the OP is mostly going off generalizations and stereotypes here anyway, he'd be better off avoiding mostly Asian areas.

So other than the really liberal areas of California, I would suggest some semi-hippy areas like Vermont. It's mostly white people but they are pretty welcoming of minorities.

Old 12-24-2009, 01:07 PM

251 posts, read 1,034,452 times
Anders15,

It is expensive to live in California...that is hardest things for people who are
not originally from CA moving here....

It also depends on where you move in California...

Northern California, Southern California---Central California

Old 12-24-2009, 01:09 PM

f100,

I have heard Vancouver is nice...I worked with a Japanese Man from there....he likes
SF better...but he always talked about Canada.....

I would love to check it out...I want to check out Canada..Toronto, Montreal...

Old 12-24-2009, 10:58 PM

185 posts, read 734,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
First thing I want to say is wow, how did this get revived after two years. Not that I'm upset about it.

Second, you may have lived in the ghettos of Chicago but from what it sounds like, you weren't too dissed for having a "whitewashed personality." For me in the DC area, it's a different story. For the most part, it's the militant and ghetto blacks who would have their own ways of "snubbing their noses" at me.

Granted all blacks aren't guilty of this and there are quite a few blacks I could relate to. However, most other non ghetto blacks tend to be easier found in places that don't have a huge amount of ghetto blacks along with areas that are racially integrated. This is part of the reason why I started this thread to begin with.
Well, I'm glad your thread got revived because I've only now just noticed it. I don't think any place is much better than the other in this regard except all the major metropolitan areas. I'm quite comfortable here in South Florida where there is quite a mixed of people. I lived on South Beach for 15 years, and now I live in Miami. I guess I could be considered one of those non-stereotypical black dudes you've described, and it hasn't been an easy life for me as well. I like listening to classic rock and classical music, and few people would ever guess I was black if they spoke to be over the phone. I feel sometimes this isn't even my world and that I live in some kind of twilight future world in between worlds where people are more advanced and evolved, but that world isn't here yet. People such as, I guess, you and myself I see as links between different kinds of people and different kinds of worlds, and a link has to be strong. There is really no answer. It's not easy being you when so many people around aren't saying you can't be you, and that you have to be this way or that way. I've lived with it all myself which is why I've been pretty much a loner. I've decided to just be me and to hell with everybody else if you can't deal with it. It can be a lonely road, but that is what you have to deal with. Direct message me if you want to talk further about this.

Old 12-25-2009, 12:35 AM

Quantumx,

I have heard Miami is a Nice Multi-Cultural Area to live in....I would imagine it helps to speak
Spanish living there....

Old 12-25-2009, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naomisday View Post
Quantumx,

I have heard Miami is a Nice Multi-Cultural Area to live in....I would imagine it helps to speak
Spanish living there....
Yes, speaking Spanish does help if you live here, but I've lived here for 25 years without ever learning Spanish, and the city has become much more cosmopolitan in the 21st century. It's sort of like the San Francisco of the South now where just about any body from any where in the world can come to live and feel at home because there are now so many different types of people here from so many other different places. As a result, everybody sort of fits in here. You don't get stared at for having a different skin tone or speaking a different language because there are just so many different types of people here now. I see a lot of interracial couples vacationing in South Beach because they feel comfortable vacationing there.

Last edited by quantumx; 12-25-2009 at 04:43 AM..

Old 12-25-2009, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TellTheTruthPlease View Post
The Fairfaxian...

I'm a black woman who lives in Chicago (was born here too). I listen to rock and classical music (have my whole entire life). I live in the Lincoln Park area of Chicago which is known for being populated by caucasian yuppies (look it up on Google). I have had other blacks snub me for my taste (and for where i live). So, you may think that I'd be sympathetic to your post. However, I'm not. I find your post a little disturbing...lol! I think you can find black people who share your same interests, likes, dislikes, what have you, where you are now! You don't have to run to another town to get away from critics. I think that you may be snubbing your own kind because they MAY be 'too ghetto' for you. If you're walking around with your nose down to blacks who have not then what will you get in return??? I mean, let's be honest here. I grew up in the bad part of Chicago but went on to college moved to 'Lincoln Park' and eventhough I've moved on big time, my old highschool friends (who are still in the hood), are still my friends today. I will not DARE go to their homes in the hood and I've told them just that. However, they understand where I'm coming from. I don't 'diss' my own people just because they don't have those interest that I have or live the life I live. Get it???? I find it hard to believe that there are no other blacks in Fairfax that you can relate to.
But it is different in different parts of the country and the experience of people is different. I grew up in Jacksonville, Florida and I don't have a southern accent. I haven't had one since junior high which was a long time ago, but I wanted to show the white kids that I was just as bright as they were and could speak just as well or better than they could. But with black males, it's different because of the whole macho thing. Intelligent black females, who spoke well with nearly perfect grammar and diction, might have been accused of trying to be white and had to deal with being called Oreos and Uncle Toms, but us guys had to deal with being called **** and sissies as well even though we weren't "gay" just because we talked so funny to the young, not as intelligent, macho "ghetto" black "thugs". It was an extremely difficult period in my life. And if Fairfaxian has had similar experiences to what I had growing up, I can understand him wanting to live somewhere where there is less of a chance of him being called a *** or a sissy just because of the way he talks even though he may not be "gay." This is what the intelligent black males had to deal with and some of us have scars even to this day that have just never healed from that. So excuse us if we want to live somewhere where we are less likely to be persecuted even to this day because we want to show the world that not all black males are these ghetto thug types. This is part of what perpetuates the "ghetto mentality" and that is the fact that a lot of the young bright black kids in the "ghetto" simply don't have a peer group and don't fit in, but want to fit in because of the loneliness and isolation they experience being different from their peer group. They don't want to be ostracized and as a result, we lose them. They end up being shallowed back into the "ghetto" if not completely destroyed by it the way I almost was. I don't want to hear anybody dissing me about dissing my own kind when I was almost destroyed by my own kind. You have to have walked in my shoes, and I have a higher level of consciousness and awareness than most people realize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.