Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 03:28 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,916,100 times

Advertisements

I realize that I'm new in this forum, but I really wanted to find out about something that I have been dealing with for nearly all of my life. Just to address it, yes, I am black, but many of my characteristics (The way I talk, the music I listen to, the clothes I wear, etc.) are usually deemed as white. However, the people (blacks, whites, and every other race) of where I live and attend college (DC Suburban Maryland) has shown for the most part disdain for the way I carry myself. The blacks here usually see me as a "betrayer;" and as for many whites, Asians, and Eastern Indians, I'm usually just ostracized because of me being black. Also, I really have a real attraction for girls outside my race (white, Asian, etc.), but apparently, black girls are the ones who are able to date outside their race easier. I just wanted to know what cities, or areas within a city, would be best for a black person who doesn't resemble the stereotypical "black man" would live after graduating from college (racial acceptance; interracial dating, marriage, and families, etc.)? I’ve heard most of the West Coast is a good environment, but what specific areas anywhere would do well for a person of my classification?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2006, 03:32 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,084,252 times
Well I live in the Trenton/Princeton area of NJ and interracial couples are fairly common. It's certainly nothing that raises any eyebrows. I would NOT recommend living in Trenton, but Princeton is nice enough. What line of work will you be in?

Old 12-14-2006, 03:47 PM

741 posts, read 2,922,209 times
Question More info?

There are probably many places that would fit your description, but perhaps you could give the forum a little more to go on? Likes/dislikes regarding climate, city size, amenities, activities and such.

But to try and answer your question, the Albuquerque/Rio Rancho/Santa Fe could be a place to consider. Generally speaking, your race (and that of your friends or significant others) is not really an issue. The area is home to or very accepting of White, Black, Hispanic, Native American, and Asian cultures.

But your other interests may play a bigger role in your liking ABQ or any other place for that matter...

Chap

Old 12-14-2006, 04:19 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,916,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaparral View Post
There are probably many places that would fit your description, but perhaps you could give the forum a little more to go on? Likes/dislikes regarding climate, city size, amenities, activities and such.

But to try and answer your question, the Albuquerque/Rio Rancho/Santa Fe could be a place to consider. Generally speaking, your race (and that of your friends or significant others) is not really an issue. The area is home to or very accepting of White, Black, Hispanic, Native American, and Asian cultures.

But your other interests may play a bigger role in your liking ABQ or any other place for that matter...

Chap
To make it specific, I'm a politically moderate-liberal person. My major is currently Journalism. I can stand medium to huge mtropolitan areas that are very culturaly open and cosmopolitan. I couldn't care less about the weather. And racial make-up doesn't matter to me - just as long as I'm accepted for being a "non-stereotypical" black dude.

The thing about my experience is that even though I live in an area (and in fact, a particular predominant black county - Prince Georges County) that claims to be a great place to be for blacks, but it's mostly for those who are dogged to preserve "black" values to the extent of shunning out anything and "anyone" who's racailly open to all things. It's pretty much the black version of a Consrvative Racist White community.

I'm loking for a place after graduating from college that I can settle in that doesn't have as much racial strife towards blacks who are opened-minded.

Old 12-14-2006, 04:43 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,725,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
To make it specific, I'm a politically moderate-liberal person. My major is currently Journalism. I can stand medium to huge mtropolitan areas that are very culturaly open and cosmopolitan. I couldn't care less about the weather. And racial make-up doesn't matter to me - just as long as I'm accepted for being a "non-stereotypical" black dude.

The thing about my experience is that even though I live in an area (and in fact, a particular predominant black county - Prince Georges County) that claims to be a great place to be for blacks, but it's mostly for those who are dogged to preserve "black" values to the extent of shunning out anything and "anyone" who's racailly open to all things. It's pretty much the black version of a Consrvative Racist White community.

I'm loking for a place after graduating from college that I can settle in that doesn't have as much racial strife towards blacks who are opened-minded.
I don't know, it sort of sounds like you are in that bind many more militant Blacks like to call being an Uncle Tom. You aren't accepted as a real Black. What they might term "Get'n above your raising".

A lot of that went on in various neighborhoods of Boston. It was difficult to know what a real Black was. So many Black non-native born types. Many of those also preferred to live among and be buddies with other races. Many did not like native born black locals who had been long term residents. Seemed to be a culture thing, mostly relating to crime and money issues. Many Haitians like that. The other problem was putting up with the native born White Trash, the grass is not always greener. Difficult to put people in pigeon holes any more. Lot of Hispanic nobody wanted to be around.

Yeah, I might try a place like Cambridge MA. The basic problem may not be race related as much as you believe. The race game as changed a lot. Maybe even Washington DC which is a lot closer to you. Or just move to some city of the proper size that is all some other race than black. Maybe it is more finding a place of a particular policital / social viewpoint than of some racial make up. Again Cambridge is about as liberal as it is going to get. Be left wing or be an outsider.

Old 12-14-2006, 05:31 PM

143 posts, read 872,849 times
Quote:
I realize that I'm new in this forum, but I really wanted to find out about something that I have been dealing with for nearly all of my life. Just to address it, yes, I am black, but many of my characteristics (The way I talk, the music I listen to, the clothes I wear, etc.) are usually deemed as white. However, the people (blacks, whites, and every other race) of where I live and attend college (DC Suburban Maryland) has shown for the most part disdain for the way I carry myself. The blacks here usually see me as a "betrayer;" and as for many whites, Asians, and Eastern Indians, I'm usually just ostracized because of me being black. Also, I really have a real attraction for girls outside my race (white, Asian, etc.), but apparently, black girls are the ones who are able to date outside their race easier. I just wanted to know what cities, or areas within a city, would be best for a black person who doesn't resemble the stereotypical "black man" would live after graduating from college (racial acceptance; interracial dating, marriage, and families, etc.)? I’ve heard most of the West Coast is a good environment, but what specific areas anywhere would do well for a person of my classification?
Well, theres a difference between a "non-sterotypical black person" and a complete Oreo. Hopefully you arent the latter. Theres nothing wrong with lilking different things or ethnicties but in the case of Oreos they tend to take a negative attitude against thier own race that are unjustified. Im not saying this is you but just be aware of it.

I think if want to specifically be around black people who "dont follow the crowd" so to speak you may want to check out New York, Chicago or of course LA. Any place with a large amount of foreign born blacks mixed with American Blacks would probably do well for you; Minnieapolis or Columbus, Oh also comes to mind.

Old 12-14-2006, 05:37 PM

741 posts, read 2,922,209 times
Quote:

Well, to me, you pretty much described the Albuquerque/Santa Fe area (and we have great weather as a bonus ). Depending on what you're definition of "cosmopolitan" is, you should be able to find any number of amenities that would suit your taste in this area.

And I understand when you say "non-stereotypical black dude". A couple that are among our closest friends is a mixed-marriage (husband is Black, wife is White). And if you were blind, you would have no indication of what race he belonged to. He is very successful and has never made any mention of fellow Blacks telling him he's "not black enough" or the like.

Chap

Old 12-14-2006, 10:07 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,389,691 times
Quote:

Hey bud. You don't have to go all that far. Cross the Potomac!

I grew up in Fairfax County (which I initially had assumed from your user name, you were from) and while I dislike the area for many other reasons, I will give it credit for being a very diverse and racially harmonious place. People live, work and go to school together. There is high degree of racial mixing and no one bats an eye. On any random night out at Fair Oaks Mall, I would say at least 20% of the couples are interracial, and of every possible mixture, including black men and Asian women and no one stares or cares. It's not uncommon to see black kids with dyed hair and nose rings or dressed preppy and exhibiting other "non-stereotypical" characteristics and it's fine. Do they receive comments from other blacks about selling out and such? I can't say for sure but I'd doubt it just based on the fact that blacks as a whole here are very integrated so you're unlikely to find a large group of black males in a public setting shouting vulgarities at a white guy if they see him walk past with a black girl. I find pretty much all of Northern Virginia to be extremely racially tolerant, integrated, and not so much preoccupied with racial stereotypes. There are Asian hip hop heads, white guys blasting Jay-Z from their car stereos, and black men wearing suits and driving SUVs to their jobs at brokerage firms. It partially goes hand in hand with the area's high income and education levels and you're likely to find similar tolerance in other areas across the country that have similar characteristics (Seattle, San Francisco, Minneapolis, etc.). Cross the river!

Old 12-14-2006, 10:40 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,795,201 times
How about Hawaii, and more specifically Honolulu?

White people are often minorities, especially in smaller surrouning communities and islands. They even have a derogatory/fun (depending on the circumstance) for white people "Haole." It's like Hawaiian for "gringo" but probably most often used for kidding around. Asians predominate but there's also white people, Pacific Islanders and probably black people too. I also hear that there's a lot more people born in Hawaii who are mixed. Among traditional islanders, worst case scenerio, white guys would have a harder time, for a variety of reasons. I know that some of the Pacific islands the natives are black, (from the Melanesian Islands) but I don't know how many have might have moved to Hawaii.

I hope I haven't bored or offended you talking about the demographics, but Hawaii is a fun place to most people. (I've never been, but I read a ton of info on it and met some people from there) Yes it's expensive, but you're one your way to a degree so that might not be too much of an issue.

Anyways, I hope you find a great place to live.

Old 12-14-2006, 10:55 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,725,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
How about Hawaii, and more specifically Honolulu?

White people are often minorities, especially in smaller surrouning communities and islands. They even have a derogatory/fun (depending on the circumstance) for white people "Haole." It's like Hawaiian for "gringo" but probably most often used for kidding around. Asians predominate but there's also white people, Pacific Islanders and probably black people too. I also hear that there's a lot more people born in Hawaii who are mixed. Among traditional islanders, worst case scenerio, white guys would have a harder time, for a variety of reasons. I know that some of the Pacific islands the natives are black, (from the Melanesian Islands) but I don't know how many have might have moved to Hawaii.

I hope I haven't bored or offended you talking about the demographics, but Hawaii is a fun place to most people. (I've never been, but I read a ton of info on it and met some people from there) Yes it's expensive, but you're one your way to a degree so that might not be too much of an issue.

Anyways, I hope you find a great place to live.
Naw in Honolulu he will be seen as a sailor or being in the military. Maybe a tourist. Those big Kanukies will try to mug him, they know he ain't one of them too.

Lots of people don't fit into the general scheme of things in Hawaii. People tend to stay in cliques or grouping they feel comfortable with, including by occuption / age / race / type of general group they fall into / are they a newbie or native born.

Lot of military in Hawaii. Most of the blacks there are probably in the military. They might see him as a draft dodger. Plus he will be barred from some occuptions. Journalism might be one, Hawaii has more people wanting the better jobs than they have jobs. Lots of professional jobs have some type of restrictions to newbies.

He got to learn to dance and talk jive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.