U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 05:26 PM

2,393 posts, read 912,016 times

Advertisements

Agree on the water issues. As we went to Hoover Dam during our honeymoon excursions. Went back with our girls 20 years later and viewing pictures of the water lines it's obvious how bad the running out of water reality actually is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2018, 05:44 PM

2,987 posts, read 2,143,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juxtaposition109 View Post
Hello,

I hope all of you are doing well.

My fam and I are going to have to move eventually as the city we live in will eventually run out of water. It is not a debate about whether we will or won't run out of water, the only question is where to go to get the best match for the following criteria. We realize we may not be able to get all of the following criteria in a city. We also realize we can live w/o everything listed, except of course water. With that in mind, I will list what we are looking for in order of importance w/ one being the most important. Please let me know what cities you would suggest. We were thinking Albuquerque, but I haven't done an extensive amount of research yet on their water supply. Thank you

1. A steady supply of water into the foreseeable future
2. 300 plus days of sunshine a year
3. West of I-35 or at least on the border
4. Mild to non-existent winter
5. Mountains or at least hills
I think you might be pushing the panic button a little too soon.

I bet money that before Las Vegas runs out of water scientists and other smart people will find a solution that will prevent Las Vegas from going completely dry.

Where there's a will, there's a way.
Necesity is the mother of invention.

There is too much money in Las Vegas to allow it to simply dry up and blow away.

Old 10-10-2018, 06:42 PM

2,677 posts, read 1,071,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juxtaposition109 View Post
Hello,

I hope all of you are doing well.

My fam and I are going to have to move eventually as the city we live in will eventually run out of water. It is not a debate about whether we will or won't run out of water, the only question is where to go to get the best match for the following criteria. We realize we may not be able to get all of the following criteria in a city. We also realize we can live w/o everything listed, except of course water. With that in mind, I will list what we are looking for in order of importance w/ one being the most important. Please let me know what cities you would suggest. We were thinking Albuquerque, but I haven't done an extensive amount of research yet on their water supply. Thank you

1. A steady supply of water into the foreseeable future
2. 300 plus days of sunshine a year
3. West of I-35 or at least on the border
4. Mild to non-existent winter
5. Mountains or at least hills

I highly recommend the Pacific Northwest.

Old 10-11-2018, 01:39 AM

4,403 posts, read 4,608,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
I highly recommend the Pacific Northwest.
One of the criteria is 300+ days of sunshine a year so that rules out places like Seattle and Portland. Maybe Eastern WA, Eastern OR or Idaho would work but another criteria is mild or non-existent winters. Although it's not the harshest winters in the country...winters definitely exist in the inland NW. Someone mentioned the Tri-Cities or Walla Walla...the OP should look up weather data and see if the winters there are acceptable or not.

Old 10-11-2018, 02:39 PM

262 posts, read 131,749 times
Carson City?

Old 10-11-2018, 03:12 PM

3,908 posts, read 4,054,709 times
According to government weather data, Las Vegas has 294 days that are mostly sunny. Tucson 284. Almost no one or no one (?) in US has 300 plus "mostly sunny" days. Death Valley gets 291. It is easier to get 300 plus days that are sunny for at least part of day.

Bend OR is among the biggest habitual fibbers about amount of sunshine.

Hours of sun per year can be found a few places and is more precise.

If you are very worried about water supply, Alburquerque is probably not enough of a change. 280 mostly sunny days though. Amarillo TX probably gets just enough rain to not worry about it. 259 mostly sunny. Oklahoma City gets plenty of rain. "Just" 230 mostly sunny days. Pick your priority. If sunny is a strong priority, zero rationale going north of I-40. But if you want water you should look at TX and Oklahoma and not further west. Some hills. Drive to bigger.

Among small cities, Ruidoso NM gets plenty of rain and has mountains. Buy property on a stream / river or with ponds or build one. Some winter depending on elevation / exact location. Or look at Raton (274) or possibly Abiquiu NM (281) if you buy property with water rights. Or Santa Rosa NM.

Carson City could work if 253 most sunny days is enough and you don't go into the mountains in winter.

Twin Falls ID might work for some but at only 210 mostly sunny days because of winter clouds I'd guess not for you.

South Texas was already mentioned but you could check water capacity in San Antonio, Austin, San Marcos or the hill country west of these places.

The Tri-Cities WA are modestly sun is than very un-sunny western Washington but actually have less than 200 most sunny days. People have to count & enjoy partly sunny days to satisfy their sun fix sometimes especially in winter.

Sedona AZ? Maybe. Check water situation if interested. Maybe with a well and / or cisterns.

Last edited by NW Crow; 10-11-2018 at 04:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or