Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 09:10 PM

6,615 posts, read 16,492,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicist027 View Post
So I'm going to have to largely disagree with people and say that it isn't the Rustbelt, it's the southeast.

Not buying it!

Why?

1. The southeast has multiple decent cities to choose from that are growing. Multiple decent cities in the Rust Belt to choose from too. Some are growing, others still stagnant, but won't be much longer

2. The different cities have their own pitch. You could live in Asheville and enjoy the mountains, you could live in ATL if you want big city, you could live in Myrtle Beach if you just like the beach city. I think it makes it as a region a better bargain. Same with the Rust Belt. Plenty of beaches, mountains, big cities and small towns in and near the Rust Belt.

3. Weather & geography - Beaches mountains and warm weather See above, and most people looking for a solid career or at least a well paying job don't care so much about the weather.

4. Jobs - The types of jobs that are growing are not the crappy bottom of the barrel work. Tech jobs, and other high paying professions are moving to the area. Same with the Rust Belt cities.

5. COL - It would take some time before these cities become prohibitively expensive because they are starting out much cheaper. They have quite the room to grow. Again, same for Rust Belt cities

I think the rust belt is at a large weather & geography disadvantage. It will be ok, but I don't see any major comeback.

For most improved state, I think its a tie between Georgia & North Carolina. Both will change politically (NC is already purple) and we will see how they evolve and deal with their racial history. Since that is the major issue that people associate with the south, I think those places will be a bellwether for what happens to the south. While it is true that the rest of the country associates toxic racial history with the South, they also associate high crime rates, low wages, backward social attitudes and bad schools with it.

For best metro - I can't tell whether it will be the Research Triangle or Atlanta. Both should be very good places in the future. The Triangle will get less boring with more people (I hear that the place is boring). And Atlanta will focus on QOL issues, like fixing traffic etc. The fact that it is in the running pretty heavily in many people's minds for HQ2 is a good look.This is merely speculation. Atlanta's been struggling with traffic and sprawl for many decades, but have yet to put a dent in it. As far as making the Research Triangle less boring by adding population, there is not much correlation between city size and boringness among cities this size (see Wichita, Jacksonville, Naptown, etc.)
b
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2018, 11:51 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,068,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Believe it or not, many have an aversion to Texas and there are a good number of other places in the Sunbelt where COL adjusted income lags behind Midwest locales. So yes, while a city like Houston might work on paper...it is after all in Texas.
There are many people who have aversions to Florida, or Georgia, or anything in the Deep South, Nevada, or Arizona. The vast majority of the Sunbelt, from California to South Carolina, has a bad repuation with a notable chunk of the population. The only exceptions are maybe North Carolina and Tennessee and New Mexico, to a lesser extemt. So, if we are excluding Sunbelt states which a good chunk of the nation's population dislikes, then we are left with those, and I believe wages are also good in most major North Carolina cities.

Old 10-04-2018, 08:58 PM

783 posts, read 687,040 times
Quote:
Multiple decent cities in the Rust Belt to choose from too. Some are growing, others still stagnant, but won't be much longer

Quote:
Same with the Rust Belt. Plenty of beaches, mountains, big cities and small towns in and near the Rust Belt.
Really? Because people really want to hang out on Lake Erie? No one considers the Great Lakes beaches at the same level as the beaches near Charleston or Myrtle Beach. And they don't have the same mountain cities that people want to venture to like Asheville. What great mountain city is considered in the rust-belt?

Quote:
most people looking for a solid career or at least a well paying job don't care so much about the weather.
This is just false. Most people don't like cold weather and it is mentioned over and over again here on this forum and in basic life. When people look for a place to get a job, they also want a good quality of life with it. Weather is an important factor of that. Why else do people retire somewhere in warm weather. People don't retire and move to Cincinnati!

Quote:
While it is true that the rest of the country associates toxic racial history with the South, they also associate high crime rates, low wages, backward social attitudes and bad schools with it.
So Detroit isn't known for crime? People don't associate areas of Chicago for crime? Is Illinois going to go bankrupt? What is the rust belt known for? Rusting! Not the greatest

Quote:
This is merely speculation. Atlanta's been struggling with traffic and sprawl for many decades, but have yet to put a dent in it. As far as making the Research Triangle less boring by adding population, there is not much correlation between city size and boringness among cities this size (see Wichita, Jacksonville, Naptown, etc.)
Your entire argument about the rust belt growing is based upon speculation. Places like Atlanta are in the running for Amazon HQ2. Atlanta has the highest chances according to many people on this very website and other publications. People are moving into Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh & Charleston at high rates. Despite any talk, no area of the rust belt has the rates of growth that are seen in these areas. My position is based upon established trends. Yours is based upon speculation.

Old 10-04-2018, 09:48 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,845,551 times
I definitely believe the Rust Belt will take off, and sooner, rather than later. Water will be an issue in the west and southwest, and it's plentiful in the Rust Belt. Rust Belt cities are reinventing themselves, and they will come back strong.

Old 10-06-2018, 08:43 PM

160 posts, read 102,379 times
Being that the US is an extremely urban and fairly progressive society, I would say that the cities bound to improve the most are the cities with the most room for improvement. Take a San Jose for example, while that city certainly has it's issues, it wouldn't need to do as much as say, Detroit, so Detroit will undoubtedly see more improvemet over the coming decades. As far as the rual areas of the US is concerned, I believe those areas will continue to decline before they get better.

Old 10-06-2018, 09:30 PM

34,822 posts, read 30,876,901 times
The coasts. There is no reason to think their momentum will stop, and the best jobs are increasingly consolidating into fewer coastal metros.

Old 10-07-2018, 04:49 PM

23,690 posts, read 9,247,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
There are many people who have aversions to Florida, or Georgia, or anything in the Deep South, Nevada, or Arizona. The vast majority of the Sunbelt, from California to South Carolina, has a bad repuation with a notable chunk of the population. The only exceptions are maybe North Carolina and Tennessee and New Mexico, to a lesser extemt. So, if we are excluding Sunbelt states which a good chunk of the nation's population dislikes, then we are left with those, and I believe wages are also good in most major North Carolina cities.
Id say New Mexico has a bad reputation for a good portion of the population but maybe i just think that because of experience with people in my Bubble.I love New Mexico myself but i dont think it will improve very much long-term.There's simply not a lot of good jobs there.Thats my two cents.

Old 10-08-2018, 06:49 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,132,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
Id say New Mexico has a bad reputation for a good portion of the population but maybe i just think that because of experience with people in my Bubble.I love New Mexico myself but i dont think it will improve very much long-term.There's simply not a lot of good jobs there.Thats my two cents.
To be honest, the only thoughts that come into my head when I hear New Mexico are vast emptiness yet beautiful landscape and poor performing schools.

Old 10-08-2018, 07:36 AM

1,083 posts, read 1,022,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
To be honest, the only thoughts that come into my head when I hear New Mexico are vast emptiness yet beautiful landscape and poor performing schools.
...don't forget Breaking Bad

Old 10-08-2018, 08:41 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,616,840 times
The only things that come to mind when I think of New Mexico are Aliens / UFOs, and also Bugs Bunny's infamous line: "I knew I should'a made that left turn at Albuquerque!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.