U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 10:11 PM

3,222 posts, read 1,548,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Yes, that was it. I HAVE been to Chicago, but not since the mid-1990s. I never heard of Cloud Gate.
Cloud Gate is the Artist official name of the sculpture that became a instant Hit..... and the new Millennium Park (well 2000s new) it is in. Now the biggest draw in the Midwest and a top 10 in the Nation. In the sphere of Central Park NYC and the DC Independence Mall grounds by visitors levels.

Like this loooong video of someone running thru part of Millennium Park to Cloud Gate "The Bean" then south thru Grant Park where barriers were readied for a festival and "Buckingham Fountain" of "Married with Children" intro seen. Then the lakefront and back to north along the lakefront and skyline. All while running

*** Bean is early in the video to view it ..... from Probably recorded in
late June 2018 just before the 4th of July festivities were fully set up.
A PERFECT June day and how BLUE Lake Michigan showcases the city's front lawn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvR4qQJzelY

Last edited by DavePa; 10-04-2018 at 10:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2018, 08:58 AM

21,959 posts, read 22,113,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
10. Maybe in top 200, but maybe not.
Actually, according to Forbes Traveler, Temple Square is the 16th most visited site in the United States, bringing in 3- to 5-million visitors a year. (The study I saw was about nine years old, but I'm sure things haven't changed all that much. Even if it had dropped to 25th, that's far from 200.)

Old 10-05-2018, 10:59 AM

105 posts, read 38,412 times
I consider myself a big geography buff, but I have honestly never heard of Faneuil Hall, This could be because I was born and raised in the Western US? Maybe people from the East Coast have a different perspective about this? I did look it up though and found it to be interesting and historic. Built in 1742, it is far older than anything in my home city ( Denver) ,where the oldest structure still standing was built in 1859. Learned something new, fun thread for sure!

Last edited by Bellside High; 10-05-2018 at 11:01 AM.. Reason: Added content

Old 10-05-2018, 11:10 AM

2,153 posts, read 2,662,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellside High View Post
I consider myself a big geography buff, but I have honestly never heard of Faneuil Hall, This could be because I was born and raised in the Western US? Maybe people from the East Coast have a different perspective about this? I did look it up though and found it to be interesting and historic. Built in 1742, it is far older than anything in my home city ( Denver) ,where the oldest structure still standing was built in 1859. Learned something new, fun thread for sure!

Faneuil Hall should not be on there. It's much less prominent than Ellis Island, and I would not even include Ellis Island in the top 20.

Old 10-05-2018, 11:21 AM

1,229 posts, read 506,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
Faneuil Hall should not be on there. It's much less prominent than Ellis Island, and I would not even include Ellis Island in the top 20.
I agree on both. While “everyone” knows Ellis Island and it’s significance, I doubt they could pick it out unless it was a wide shot of the island and they took an educated guess. I know I probably couldn’t pick out a close up shot, and I’ve seen it.

Someone made casual reference to the Pentagon. I think that has to be one because the building is, a pentagon. After the Hollywood sign that seems about as obvious as it gets.

Old 10-05-2018, 11:34 AM

5,662 posts, read 3,643,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Someone made casual reference to the Pentagon. I think that has to be one because the building is, a pentagon. After the Hollywood sign that seems about as obvious as it gets.

I would guess that pretty much every adult American has heard of the Pentagon. Obviously, this is in connection with its being the headquarters of our military, and thus the name "Pentagon" can be a shorthand for military leadership or strategy-making. As for the building itself, if you look at it from above, it's immediately obvious what it is. But if you look at it at street level, especially if you're close enough that you don't notice how large it is (horizontally speaking), it could easily be confused for any number of other low-rise office buildings.

Old 10-05-2018, 11:36 AM

5,662 posts, read 3,643,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellside High View Post
I consider myself a big geography buff, but I have honestly never heard of Faneuil Hall,

Not only have I heard of Faneuil Hall, I've been inside of it. It's undoubtedly historic, but there's no way I would consider it to be among America's most iconic landmarks.

Old 10-05-2018, 10:23 PM

4,484 posts, read 2,666,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Actually, according to Forbes Traveler, Temple Square is the 16th most visited site in the United States, bringing in 3- to 5-million visitors a year. (The study I saw was about nine years old, but I'm sure things haven't changed all that much. Even if it had dropped to 25th, that's far from 200.)
I'll respond to your post but this is really about several of them. Visitor counts are done by a million methods, and generally put forward by PR groups behind the attractions. To say I don't trust these comparisons is too much of an understatement. I believe most are BS, basically the largest numbers they think they can guess based on guesses and optimism. Forbes has no credibility on this sort of thing...they probably have a junior reporter find non-parallel PR stats from local organizations.

But let's say they're accurate. A shopping mall, park, church, major avenue, or whatever that claims x million visitors is often counting the same people 52 times per year, or 200 times, or 500 (commute twice per day).

Temple Square contains multiple large gathering venues that seat up to 21,000. Between weekly church visitors and attendees at those events, I bet locals account for the majority of those 3-5 million visitors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or