U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2018, 03:32 PM

926 posts, read 314,919 times

Advertisements

I live in different cities in the US but what I consider my home or "my where my heart is",is in Atlanta GA.
Every time I come back,I wonder how anybody could dislike Atlanta who has really spent any real time here.

Its modern,vibrant and many things to do all year long but I thought to myself:"everybody says the same thing about there city"
So how does one really convey how they feel?
Here are my answers:

I love the mix of urban and suburban.I appreciate density but when i comes to actually living,I like the space Atlanta provides me.
In older cities many times you are confined to tiny studio apartments paying astronomical prices.
Atlanta is not cheap but you get more for your money,

Also its been said a thousands times about how green Atlanta is.Its one the most often things I hear from my visitors of my Airbnb properties.
Along with the hilly terrain people really find it very noticeable and different than many places.

People are surprised by Atlanta.This always fascinates me.These are things people always mention:
"i didn't realize this city was as big as it its"
"I didn;t know there was so much interesting things about the city"
I did'nt know there was so much to do"or "or its so much fun things to do"

All these statements are resons why I chose to be here,Im always puzzled why people are surprise anyone would CHOSE to live in Atlanta or is happy to want to be here.
Its from mostly people who have never really spent considerable time in the city.Its not like Miami where you go there for South Beach,or NYC you go for its massive vibrant streets,or LA where you go for the LA lifestyle of celebrities and sun.
Its Atlanta so you have to find the things that make the people who live here like it so much.
Its got great museums but not the traditional classical art museums found in every city,but pop culture ones like Coca Cola,College Football Hall of Fame and my favorite,The Atlanta History Museum which has one of the finest Civil War exhibits in the country as well as one that really shows the history and civic pride of how Atlanta is today and where it started,

I also like Atlanta because the BeltLine is one of my favorite pastimes even though I live now in the suburbs,Im there a couple of time a week at least biking or riding scooters with friends.

People speak of Atlanta's "sprawl" but its great in some repects because these areas around Atlanta have their own history that in may cases like in cities like Roswell that are older than Atlanta with its own quaint downtown .
Also new urbanest communities like Serenbe.This place is fantastic!its a unique self sustainable community in the Chattahoochee Hills area in beautiful horse riding country-side.
they have their own cultural programs where they put on theatrical shows year long.Artist in residence who also do music.Just a very unique place.

All over the metro so much diversity in towns and communities.Many in beautiful locations as Atlanta sits in the foothills of the Appalachian mountains.

I also like the mix of "New South and International" culture.You can find Korean and Southern fusion foods,as well as Vietnamese- Cajun.
Even Mexican and Chinese fusion.

The many conventions that come to Atlanta can be very interesting.Like Dragon Con.A huge Cos Play festival that has drawn as much as 70,000 people every year.
Also music huge festival all year long like Music Midtown,Imagine,Shaky Knees,AC3 Hip Hop.and the largest Black Gay PRIDE Festival in the world as well as one of the nations largest PRIDE Festivals.
The Atlanta Jazz Festival is the largest of its kind in the world and it draws people from all over.
My favorite is HOUSE IN THE PARK!If you love to dance and like house music,THIS is the event and its FREE

Atlanta also is close to the mountains with its hiking options both in the city and further..Waterfalls are amazing

Id be remiss not have mentioned Atlanta's interesting history from Civil War to Civil Rights and in between as its more interesting than people know or realize.
Atlanta is not as new as some might think.It has some very old streetcar neighborhoods that date back to the late 1880s

Atlanta is always in a constant state of change.Its usually change for the better.
Well in a nutshell,thats why I love Atlanta and think you should to but why do you love your city and why should I love it also.

On another note,I really liked Richmond when I had a short brief visit there.Love to hear from people who love Richmond
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2018, 04:48 PM

17,698 posts, read 4,083,765 times
I love the fact that Midland, Texas is home to a booming oil and gas industry,really friendly people,the Friday Nights Lights,close to whitetail deer hunting and its my hometown that i grew up in.I also love that its close to New Mexico,Southwest Airlines serves the airport and the church of Christ is pretty strong here.

Old 10-04-2018, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
I love the fact that Midland, Texas is home to a booming oil and gas industry,really friendly people,the Friday Nights Lights,close to whitetail deer hunting and its my hometown that i grew up in.I also love that its close to New Mexico,Southwest Airlines serves the airport and the church of Christ is pretty strong here.
Friday Night Lights you mean High School football right?

Old 10-04-2018, 05:21 PM

17,698 posts, read 4,083,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Proud View Post
Friday Night Lights you mean High School football right?
Correct.....like the movie.

Old 10-05-2018, 06:12 PM

6,061 posts, read 3,392,125 times
I love St. Paul. I love its unique mix of neighbourhoods, its historic charm, the way the Mississippi River is at the heart of the city, the hilly and wooded bluffs found through the city, the number of historic mansions, the salt of the earth Midwestern friendliness, the local institutions which have been here for decades, the local breweries, the weather, and the fact that we are under the radar, nationally speaking.

Old 10-05-2018, 08:57 PM

2,086 posts, read 1,106,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I love St. Paul. I love its unique mix of neighbourhoods, its historic charm, the way the Mississippi River is at the heart of the city, the hilly and wooded bluffs found through the city, the number of historic mansions, the salt of the earth Midwestern friendliness, the local institutions which have been here for decades, the local breweries, the weather, and the fact that we are under the radar, nationally speaking.
St. Paul is a very nice city. Really, really enjoy the older neighborhoods in grid format. Stucco, brick, gambrel homes with tree lined streets. Truthfully, reminded me very much of the Boston and Chicago suburbs.. places like Winchester, La Grange, Etc. Very nice. MSP is the most underrated MSA in the US, and itís really not close to me.

As for Boston, itís the things people donít know (including myself before living here). The suburbs speckled with lakes and rivers, state parks, and public spaces. The older suburbs with beautiful downtowns, tree lined streets. The pride, the culture, the tradition. Itís the ability to get from the hippest neighborhood in Cambridge to the oldest, wealthiest neighborhoods of Beacon Hill/Back Bay via a foot bridge over the Charles. Itís the bike and run paths that connect the city to suburbs 30 miles out. Itís how active and health conscious the MSA is. Itís the ability to visit friends in Kennebunkport one weekend, and Nantucket the next. The old coastal towns, waterfront bars, sand beaches. How progressive and thoughtful the politics are (though over the top at times). The K-12 education for my little ones has me excited too.

Itís hard not to get romantic when I talk about Boston. It just works for my family on infinite levels. Outside of Chicago, itís the greatest city Iíve ever lived in. And as for the MSA, IMO, it far exceeds the rest including the Bay Area, Chicagoland, Seattle, and OC.

Old 10-05-2018, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
St. Paul is a very nice city. Really, really enjoy the older neighborhoods in grid format. Stucco, brick, gambrel homes with tree lined streets. Truthfully, reminded me very much of the Boston and Chicago suburbs.. places like Winchester, La Grange, Etc. Very nice. MSP is the most underrated MSA in the US, and itís really not close to me.

As for Boston, itís the things people donít know (including myself before living here). The suburbs speckled with lakes and rivers, state parks, and public spaces. The older suburbs with beautiful downtowns, tree lined streets. The pride, the culture, the tradition. Itís the ability to get from the hippest neighborhood in Cambridge to the oldest, wealthiest neighborhoods of Beacon Hill/Back Bay via a foot bridge over the Charles. Itís the bike and run paths that connect the city to suburbs 30 miles out. Itís how active and health conscious the MSA is. Itís the ability to visit friends in Kennebunkport one weekend, and Nantucket the next. The old coastal towns, waterfront bars, sand beaches. How progressive and thoughtful the politics are (though over the top at times). The K-12 education for my little ones has me excited too.

Itís hard not to get romantic when I talk about Boston. It just works for my family on infinite levels. Outside of Chicago, itís the greatest city Iíve ever lived in. And as for the MSA, IMO, it far exceeds the rest including the Bay Area, Chicagoland, Seattle, and OC.
I dont know Boston well at all and it never struck me as a place I would love but because i love hisory and architecture,Its on my list to explore in dept.

I repped because you really made it more personal and made i sound more appealing moreso than any thing Ive read about it in travel brochures

This is why I always find it irritating how some posters just out right hate a place that cant have possibly gotten to know on a 3 day business trip or a layover.

Having an opinion in general is fine but if you dont know a place you can say its terrible or not worth going to if you dont know it like a local.

Old 10-05-2018, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Ive only been briefly to Minneapolis but will be back in the Summer as I dont travel anywhere North in the Winter if possible.
St.Paul has always intrigued me for its poise and perceived sophistication

Old 10-08-2018, 12:54 PM

6,061 posts, read 3,392,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post

Boston is my favourite city that I havent been to. A friend of mine visited in fall 2015 and loved it. I think she did more of the touristy stuff, though. Theres things that locals are familiar with that 99% of tourists wont experience at least on a first trip.

Do you feel the architecture and even vibe of St. Paul is similar to Boston?

Old 10-08-2018, 04:20 PM

5,617 posts, read 6,097,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Proud View Post
I live in different cities in the US but what I consider my home or "my where my heart is",is in Atlanta GA.
Every time I come back,I wonder how anybody could dislike Atlanta who has really spent any real time here.

Its modern,vibrant and many things to do all year long but I thought to myself:"everybody says the same thing about there city"
So how does one really convey how they feel?
Here are my answers:

I love the mix of urban and suburban.I appreciate density but when i comes to actually living,I like the space Atlanta provides me.
In older cities many times you are confined to tiny studio apartments paying astronomical prices.
Atlanta is not cheap but you get more for your money,

Also its been said a thousands times about how green Atlanta is.Its one the most often things I hear from my visitors of my Airbnb properties.
Along with the hilly terrain people really find it very noticeable and different than many places.

People are surprised by Atlanta.This always fascinates me.These are things people always mention:
"i didn't realize this city was as big as it its"
"I didn;t know there was so much interesting things about the city"
I did'nt know there was so much to do"or "or its so much fun things to do"

All these statements are resons why I chose to be here,Im always puzzled why people are surprise anyone would CHOSE to live in Atlanta or is happy to want to be here.
Its from mostly people who have never really spent considerable time in the city.Its not like Miami where you go there for South Beach,or NYC you go for its massive vibrant streets,or LA where you go for the LA lifestyle of celebrities and sun.
Its Atlanta so you have to find the things that make the people who live here like it so much.
Its got great museums but not the traditional classical art museums found in every city,but pop culture ones like Coca Cola,College Football Hall of Fame and my favorite,The Atlanta History Museum which has one of the finest Civil War exhibits in the country as well as one that really shows the history and civic pride of how Atlanta is today and where it started,

I also like Atlanta because the BeltLine is one of my favorite pastimes even though I live now in the suburbs,Im there a couple of time a week at least biking or riding scooters with friends.

People speak of Atlanta's "sprawl" but its great in some repects because these areas around Atlanta have their own history that in may cases like in cities like Roswell that are older than Atlanta with its own quaint downtown .
Also new urbanest communities like Serenbe.This place is fantastic!its a unique self sustainable community in the Chattahoochee Hills area in beautiful horse riding country-side.
they have their own cultural programs where they put on theatrical shows year long.Artist in residence who also do music.Just a very unique place.

All over the metro so much diversity in towns and communities.Many in beautiful locations as Atlanta sits in the foothills of the Appalachian mountains.

I also like the mix of "New South and International" culture.You can find Korean and Southern fusion foods,as well as Vietnamese- Cajun.
Even Mexican and Chinese fusion.

The many conventions that come to Atlanta can be very interesting.Like Dragon Con.A huge Cos Play festival that has drawn as much as 70,000 people every year.
Also music huge festival all year long like Music Midtown,Imagine,Shaky Knees,AC3 Hip Hop.and the largest Black Gay PRIDE Festival in the world as well as one of the nations largest PRIDE Festivals.
The Atlanta Jazz Festival is the largest of its kind in the world and it draws people from all over.
My favorite is HOUSE IN THE PARK!If you love to dance and like house music,THIS is the event and its FREE

Atlanta also is close to the mountains with its hiking options both in the city and further..Waterfalls are amazing

Id be remiss not have mentioned Atlanta's interesting history from Civil War to Civil Rights and in between as its more interesting than people know or realize.
Atlanta is not as new as some might think.It has some very old streetcar neighborhoods that date back to the late 1880s

Atlanta is always in a constant state of change.Its usually change for the better.
Well in a nutshell,thats why I love Atlanta and think you should to but why do you love your city and why should I love it also.

On another note,I really liked Richmond when I had a short brief visit there.Love to hear from people who love Richmond
What a great narrative on Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or