U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 06:47 PM

8,604 posts, read 3,032,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Denver does have pretty bad air quality. It's partially due to the geography, the lack of rain, and the refineries / factories. The town will also smell like dog food / pee quite often as well.
Not over here - another reason not to live right in the metro area.

Quote:
Colorado Springs has the same geography and environment, yet the air quality is pretty good due to the lack of an O&G industry, factories, and lower congestion.
CS is 2500 feet higher than Denver and has only vaguely similar geography.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2018, 07:44 AM

3,192 posts, read 2,643,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Not over here - another reason not to live right in the metro area.
But then I'd be contributing to the ozone cloud to get to work instead of merely experiencing it .

CS is 2500 feet higher than Denver and has only vaguely similar geography.
Elevation wouldn't really matter, they both have mountains to the west and a bowl shaped geography, which can trap air in. That's why the air is better outside the city, because wind blows through without getting trapped.

Old 10-10-2018, 07:51 AM

887 posts, read 440,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevor0101 View Post
Interesting. Is it just Denver that has crappy air quality, or that whole area? What about Ft. Collins / Loveland? Boulder? Colorado Springs?
I remember the whole front range being sort of bad with Denver being the worse. The uptick in population (and cars) has only made matters worse. It has been a couple of years since I have been back, but I can only imagine.

Greeley has the boiled blood and cow poop smell occasionally to add insult to injury. I remember finding in interesting that Colorado required Greeleyites to do emissions testing on cars despite the relative car pollution being negligible compared to the Denver metro area. Also, what are the odds that Weld County's car pollution is that much higher than the other surrounding counties not needing emission testing. We all called it a money grab (and it really was).

Old 10-10-2018, 07:55 AM

3,192 posts, read 2,643,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsnicker3 View Post
I remember the whole front range being sort of bad with Denver being the worse. The uptick in population (and cars) has only made matters worse. It has been a couple of years since I have been back, but I can only imagine.

Greeley has the boiled blood and cow poop smell occasionally to add insult to injury. I remember finding in interesting that Colorado required Greeleyites to do emissions testing on cars despite the relative car pollution being negligible compared to the Denver metro area. Also, what are the odds that Weld County's car pollution is that much higher than the other surrounding counties not needing emission testing. We all called it a money grab (and it really was).
CO Springs doesn't require emissions (unless it changed recently) either. It doesn't have a haze layer that Denver often has, except for wildfires or dust or something like that.

Old 10-10-2018, 08:01 AM

887 posts, read 440,935 times
Quote:
CO Springs doesn't require emissions (unless it changed recently) either. It doesn't have a haze layer that Denver often has, except for wildfires or dust or something like that.
That doesn't make sense that a much larger metro of Colorado Springs requires no emission testing, but Greeley does. If the state is going to require emissions testing, it ought to be mandated either entirely across the state or only in the metro areas where accumulation of pollution is significant.

Old 10-10-2018, 08:12 AM

988 posts, read 491,613 times
Quote:
Elevation wouldn't really matter, they both have mountains to the west and a bowl shaped geography, which can trap air in. That's why the air is better outside the city, because wind blows through without getting trapped.
That's also why Florida cities have good air. Wind from the ocean, no topography to trap air. But there are hurricanes.

Old 10-10-2018, 09:28 AM

616 posts, read 176,094 times
I'd say anywhere in Florida and the SE/Gulf Coast.

Old 10-10-2018, 12:22 PM

17 posts, read 10,980 times
I moved to Denver from Charlotte, NC (2011-2016), but am originally from Houston, TX. I lived 2 years in Nacogdoches, TX (dinky college down in east Texas half-way between Houston and Texarkana).

My experience so far in Colorado is that cars appear to have emissions almost as bad as back in Charlotte, where half of the cars have ZERO emissions testing b/c they are registered in South Carolina. That + the surprisingly large petro-chemical industry presence right in the middle of the Denver Metro Bowl means that there is a ridiculous amount of smog. The dust and smoke from fires etc out west have made this past year even worse.

Part of why I started this thread was because in my travels I've been surprised at just how bad some cities are, specifically the ones which have a generally "green" and nature-focused public image / culture. Similar to how, when I traveled to the Pacific NW, cities like Portland and Seattle shocked me with the fact that I could never escape the smell of smoke / weed because, despite them having such a health-conscious image, turns out the whole region is filled with chain smokers of every variety.

One place I was actually quite surprised by in a positive way was Spartanburg, SC. Not a huge town, but the air out there was remarkably fresh and clear.

Old 10-10-2018, 09:35 PM

146 posts, read 119,661 times
I've read that SLC has pretty terrible air. Whether or not that's true, I'm not sure.

Old 10-10-2018, 09:38 PM

6,560 posts, read 10,268,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevor0101 View Post
I've read that SLC has pretty terrible air. Whether or not that's true, I'm not sure.
It's true. Salt Lake gets terrible inversions in the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or