U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 12:13 PM

17 posts, read 11,009 times

Advertisements

So I moved to Denver, CO almost 2 years ago. One thing which has continued to astound me is just how bad the air quality is out here. The mountains are right at the western edge of the city, but on most days they can't be seen from the eastern suburbs. Heck, during fire season, you're lucky to even see down town, a mere 10-15 miles away.

This got me thinking about what metro areas have exceptionally good or exceptionally bad air quality, both from a pollution / health perspective and from an aesthetic / visual perspective.

What are your opinions? What cities / metros have you found to have remarkably good or remarkably bad air quality? What cities / metros SHOULD be beautiful, but are ruined by smog / smoke more days than not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2018, 01:29 PM

2 posts, read 2,030 times
I've always thought Honolulu, Albuquerque & Miami have pretty good air quality for cities of their size. Though that's mainly judging by my nose than anything scientific haha

Old 10-05-2018, 08:26 PM

1,571 posts, read 750,454 times
Florida cities in general tend to have good air quality, despite a large population and huge amount of traffic on the roads. This is certainly influenced by the state's flat terrain, abundance of water, and lack of heavy industry.

Much of the western US has below average air quality in areas where the population is concentrated. There are long periods with little or no precipitation to clean the air (the coastal Northwest certainly being an exception), frequent wildfires, and mountainous nearby terrain that traps and concentrates pollution. The Salt Lake City area is one example where the impressive scenery is often obscured by smog, and it will be challenging to resolve this as the population is growing relentlessly in a narrow, busy corridor.

Old 10-05-2018, 08:50 PM

3,777 posts, read 2,566,285 times
All of the Florida metros have superb air quality, while most California cities have pretty bad air quality. It really makes you realize just how beautiful LA is when it's actually a clear day and you can see the San Gabriel mountains the distance, the Hollywood sign, and downtown from most parts of town. Since fall began the weather has been fantastic, and i'm in awh everytime I leave the house.

Apparently Fairbanks has terrible air quality as well.

Old 10-07-2018, 05:39 PM

1,639 posts, read 1,567,864 times
Pound for pound, Miami msa has the best air quality. Google 'Miami smog' photos and you'll just get other cities that are extremely polluted that cant measure up to MIA's air quality.

Old 10-08-2018, 10:04 AM

11,177 posts, read 22,391,357 times
I've had multiple visitors comment on how clear the skies are in Chicago, I think partially because they look back at the historical factories and plants and they're always belching smoke.

Most of the industry is centered to the south and east in the city, and due to wind patters much of the time any air pollution quickly leaves the city and heads out over the lake or southeast into Indiana.

Old 10-08-2018, 06:12 PM

3,195 posts, read 2,648,634 times
Denver does have pretty bad air quality. It's partially due to the geography, the lack of rain, and the refineries / factories. The town will also smell like dog food / pee quite often as well. Occasionally it stinks real bad by RINO and going north of there, to the point where it's unpleasant to be outside. I didn't know it moving here and it bothers me, partially because of concerns for health, and partially because it just looks polluted and dirty.

Colorado Springs has the same geography and environment, yet the air quality is pretty good due to the lack of an O&G industry, factories, and lower congestion. Hopefully they will be able to keep that as the area grows. It would really hamper the front range view experience that is so phenomenal to the area if it did get real hazy.

Old 10-09-2018, 03:09 PM

1,591 posts, read 2,021,814 times
Phoenix has terrible air quality, especially during the summer. We had high pollution advisories in effect almost daily for much of late June and July. Coupled with frequent dust storms, where particles of dust keep floating around for a day or two after a dust storm, you have a recipe for disaster.

Old 10-09-2018, 06:35 PM

262 posts, read 132,163 times
Curious, where did you move from, OP?

Salt Lake City IS beautiful when it's not ruined by smog and smoke.

Old 10-09-2018, 06:43 PM

146 posts, read 120,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithrane View Post
So I moved to Denver, CO almost 2 years ago. One thing which has continued to astound me is just how bad the air quality is out here. The mountains are right at the western edge of the city, but on most days they can't be seen from the eastern suburbs. Heck, during fire season, you're lucky to even see down town, a mere 10-15 miles away.

This got me thinking about what metro areas have exceptionally good or exceptionally bad air quality, both from a pollution / health perspective and from an aesthetic / visual perspective.

What are your opinions? What cities / metros have you found to have remarkably good or remarkably bad air quality? What cities / metros SHOULD be beautiful, but are ruined by smog / smoke more days than not?
Interesting. Is it just Denver that has crappy air quality, or that whole area? What about Ft. Collins / Loveland? Boulder? Colorado Springs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or