U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 08:28 PM

1,255 posts, read 723,958 times

Advertisements

North Carolina, Virginia, FL, Tennessee and Texas. Maybe Georgia too with Atlanta.

FL's downsides are persistent heat and mostly flat landscape. Lots of Northerners move down here because we have no state income tax and for weather. But many of them eventually get sick of FL and move to TN or NC and are known as half backs. Since FL is so long, the more north you go, the more southern the area becomes. Panhandle and north FL is entirely different than south or urban central FL.

Georgia is a pretty state but it is pretty economically depressed outside of Atlanta metro area. No other major cities like Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2018, 09:33 PM

3,692 posts, read 8,784,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edujop View Post
Thank you for your thoughtful reply. I will be going through it again more thoroughly. i just did a quick once-through, and it has much good information. Where I got the meth idea about Tennessee, namely, Eastern TN, is something I heard or a read about venturing outside of Knoxville. It was like an NPR program or something, and apparently once you get outside of Knoxville it the people get sketchy. Now I will probably get angry replies from people who live in the Knoxville area, and no doubt "sketchy" will be put in quotation marks.
Sure thing, happy to provide info. My advice is narrow down the towns you are interested in viewing, and pay them a visit. An image in your head and a stereotyped piece of bad advice from somewhere can tarnish even amazing cities and states overall.

For example, before I visited Charleston, SC, a few people told me it was "too expensive," "had higher crime than reported" and "too hot." I visited and fell in love with the place and realized those complaints were only personal opinions and bad experiences those people had. Charleston is an amazing, historic and beautiful city.

My advice is see for yourself. As I mentioned in another post, meth is huge everywhere, not just in Tennessee. When I lived in CT, it was a major problem there, as well as New York state and Jersey, as well as Vermont and Maine. Some small towns have been overtaken by addiction and crime. It's a national issue, and worse in some economicaly depressed areas.

Couple of informative articles:
Drug use by state:
https://wallethub.com/edu/drug-use-by-state/35150/
Top 15 states with worst drug problems:
https://www.cheatsheet.com/health-fi...-america.html/

Old 10-07-2018, 09:57 PM

170 posts, read 160,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
That's not an accurate portrayal at all. You'll find those same aspects in all southeastern states. Meth is a nationwide issue.

I live in TN now, and what you describe you are looking for, you'll find in abundance in Tennessee. What sets TN apart in my experiences, is the friendliness and small town charm of the state. Not to mention the absolute stunning geographical beauty in this state. If you want growing medium-sized cities, Knoxville and Chattanooga fit that and have universities, great dining/bars and good nightlife. Nashville is the booming capital and is growing like wildfire in a good way. Memphis is a bit more rough around the edges, but is gentrifying and offers super low cost of living and a great nightlife scene as well.

Try the Cumberland Plateau area, the Smoky Mountain foothills area or northeastern tri-cities area. I feel like the tri-cities might be a solid choice for you. Johnson City is low-cost, has great smaller city amenities (67,000 people), has a mid sized university in East Tennessee, and the downtown is growing and currently experiencing a booming beer brewing influx, as well as a number of great restaurants opening up.

As for other states in the southeast, North Carolina ranks high, as well as South Carolina, Georgia and Virginia, along with Tennessee. Can't go wrong with any of those states, really, based on what you need.

I travel often for work, and all over the southeast. With higher-populated states with 1 or 2 major cities, there are more tax dollars for community infrastructure, state infrastructure, and roadways, utilities, etc., so this allows for major investment to pour into the state in the form of residential, commercial, and industrial.
As-a-result, these states typically have more modernized small and mid-sized towns and cities, with more "latest and greatest everything"--from big chain restaurants, to better known stores, to better bars/entertainment, jobs, and an influx of different types of folks--both residents and tourists.

Based off of this, in my experience, I'd rank the states this way, from best to worst, based on above criteria:
(2017 estimated populations)
1) Georgia (population 10.4 million)
2) Florida (population 21 million--although I just don't particularly like FL to live as an option at all, myself. Too flat and muggy)
2) North Carolina (population 10.2 million)
3) Virginia (population 8.1 million)
4) Tennessee (population 6.8 million)
5) South Carolina (population 5.2 million)

6) Alabama (population 4.9 million)
7) Louisiana (population 4.6 million)
8) Kentucky (population 4.5 million)
9) Arkansas (population 3 million)
10) Mississippi (population 3 million)
11) West Virginia (population 1.8 million)

Good stuff. I think your theory about larger populations with 1 or 2 (preferably 2) holds water.

Old 10-07-2018, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
City is more defining than state. Within each state there is quite a range in city quality. If you haven't yet, look at a Money magazine or U.S. News & Report city ranking.

But at state level, many would put GA, NC and VA in top 5 in state. After that it varies more. TN and / or KY. Some like AR. Why? Jobs, growth. Colleges. Somewhat milder / more four season. Mountains. Perhaps less deep south history / legacy. Or maybe just less obvious.

US News ranked states recently and in south they had Florida "best" followed by VA, NC, TN, GA. A 10 category ranking. On "quality of life", none of these southern states ranked above average. Tended to do better on "opportunity", infrastructure and "fiscal stability".

Roanoke is a good choice. Boone NC. Cookeville TN. Bowling Green KY.

I have never considered Kentucky. I have kin who live in Kentucky. They are from Northern Illinois, but moved to Kentucky. I don't know how to say this without pissing people off, but it seems like there's a lot of low class people in Kentucky. Obviously there are many exceptions. But whatever. It's just my impression that a majority of people who live in Kentucky are similar to my cousins, who, are sadly, low class.

Old 10-07-2018, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EckyX View Post
Having been raised in the southeast, my "oh hell naw" states are West Virginia, Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana (with the exception perhaps of New Orleans). Which is not to say the others don't have their rough areas. Other than cost of living, the region overall doesn't rank super highly in most metrics.

lol thanks much appreciated

Old 10-07-2018, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
North Carolina, Virginia, FL, Tennessee and Texas. Maybe Georgia too with Atlanta.

FL's downsides are persistent heat and mostly flat landscape. Lots of Northerners move down here because we have no state income tax and for weather. But many of them eventually get sick of FL and move to TN or NC and are known as half backs. Since FL is so long, the more north you go, the more southern the area becomes. Panhandle and north FL is entirely different than south or urban central FL.

Georgia is a pretty state but it is pretty economically depressed outside of Atlanta metro area. No other major cities like Atlanta.

Half Backs, that is hilarious. I have family in Fort Meyers. I would NEVER live down there. Yes, flat, and extremely muggy. Plus the feeling of being trapped with no where to escape to, except Northward. I too like Northern Florida, but it's just a tad too far. I am traveling with a bunch of cats, and the sooner i can get there the better. That's why TN is top on my list. It is one of the first Southern States I reach. I am comfortable with the idea of living in TN. I wish I could articulate why I am comfortable with it. I guess because it ISN'T Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, or West Virginia, four states I am not comfortable with.

Old 10-07-2018, 10:14 PM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 26 days ago)

10,511 posts, read 14,346,913 times
As you can see you are getting a lot of answers, with not a lot of agreement as to what's 'best. Unless you are super laid back and accepting I don't think these suggestions are very useful to you right now.

My recommendation at this stage is to put more effort into researching 'what' you want, after you figure that out then try to figure out the 'where' to go to fulfill those wants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
TN does not have an income tax but the state sales tax is 9% and many cities tack on an additional 1 or 2%. Groceries and food are also taxed here!
Nah, not entirely accurate. Food, and food ingredients is 4% base while general sales tax is 7% base, cities and counties can tack on up to an additional 3% total.

PS, have been in the TN foothills for nigh on ten years, still hoping to run across my first real moonshiner, lol.

Last edited by DubbleT; 10-07-2018 at 10:24 PM..

Old 10-07-2018, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Sure thing, happy to provide info. My advice is narrow down the towns you are interested in viewing, and pay them a visit. An image in your head and a stereotyped piece of bad advice from somewhere can tarnish even amazing cities and states overall.

For example, before I visited Charleston, SC, a few people told me it was "too expensive," "had higher crime than reported" and "too hot." I visited and fell in love with the place and realized those complaints were only personal opinions and bad experiences those people had. Charleston is an amazing, historic and beautiful city.

My advice is see for yourself. As I mentioned in another post, meth is huge everywhere, not just in Tennessee. When I lived in CT, it was a major problem there, as well as New York state and Jersey, as well as Vermont and Maine. Some small towns have been overtaken by addiction and crime. It's a national issue, and worse in some economicaly depressed areas.

Couple of informative articles:
Drug use by state:
https://wallethub.com/edu/drug-use-by-state/35150/
Top 15 states with worst drug problems:
https://www.cheatsheet.com/health-fi...-america.html/

I know this all too well. Just one bad review or comment has a tendency to deflate my enthusiasm. This goes for reviews of cities and states, as well as, books. I finally stopped reading book reviews because it some people like the book, some people don't. I have to make my own review. Same goes with cities. It is largely a waste of time getting reviews from people, I fully understand this. I take it all with a grain of salt. Unfortunately, I do have to try and narrow it down. I am only flying out of Boise ONCE to look for a rental property. I will have about a week to do it in. It might just come down to what airport is the cheapest to fly into, and what cities are in that particular region.

Old 10-07-2018, 10:59 PM

29,947 posts, read 27,432,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
As you can see you are getting a lot of answers, with not a lot of agreement as to what's 'best. Unless you are super laid back and accepting I don't think these suggestions are very useful to you right now.

My recommendation at this stage is to put more effort into researching 'what' you want, after you figure that out then try to figure out the 'where' to go to fulfill those wants.
A few of us have already said as much but it appears he's very intent on choosing a random city in whichever state seems to be winning the popularity contest in this thread. *shrugs*

Old 10-08-2018, 06:49 AM

45,027 posts, read 36,268,604 times
You really just need to fly into, say, Tennessee, rent a car, and drive in a huge loop - TN, VA, NC, SC. GA, FL, AL, MS, LA, AR, then back across TN. Take several weeks. Do it in the summer so you get the full effect of a southern summer. Hit the beaches, the mountains, the rivers, the Gulf, the Atlantic, the historical spots, etc.

Don't rely in internet research. Get out and experience it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or