Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 12:27 AM

195 posts, read 328,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Ok.

Georgia
Overview:
"The Empire State of the South"...so grand and so good.

I think it is looking like Georgia is the big dog in the South, and by big dog I mean most desirable. Well Virginia and North Carolina might be able to state a claim. I don't feel too confident about the rest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2018, 12:32 AM

195 posts, read 328,783 times
[quote=Mutiny77;53294971]"Best" in what sense? So far you haven't given us much criteria to work with as you seem to only be concerned with the size and geography of a potential new city that's clean with happy people. If you can find a city that suits your needs as far as that goes, why does it matter if it's in the "best" state or not?[/quote

I don't know why you have to make it so difficult. Jeez. Best in what sense? Best in every sense. If there isn't a state that seems to be overall better run, better quality of life, better infrastructure, better reputation, then so be it. Please feel free not to comment if this question bugs you.

Last edited by edujop; 10-07-2018 at 12:54 AM..

Old 10-07-2018, 09:12 AM

67,666 posts, read 60,218,081 times
[quote=edujop;53295759]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
"Best" in what sense? So far you haven't given us much criteria to work with as you seem to only be concerned with the size and geography of a potential new city that's clean with happy people. If you can find a city that suits your needs as far as that goes, why does it matter if it's in the "best" state or not?[/quote

I don't know why you have to make it so difficult. Jeez. Best in what sense? Best in every sense. If there isn't a state that seems to be overall better run, better quality of life, better infrastructure, better reputation, then so be it. Please feel free not to comment if this question bugs you.
"Best" is relative. What's "best" for one person won't be "best" for another person. I think that's what's creating some issue. For instance, my very favorite state in the US is Virginia - and yet i doubt i will ever move there, I'll probably just visit, due to the very high cost of living, state income tax, and the fact that NOVA alone pushes so much of both the economy and the political vibe, when there's so much more to the state.

That's just one example. Different things are more important to different people.

Old 10-07-2018, 09:41 AM

1,002 posts, read 899,999 times
How about some stats?

Violent crime (lower is better):
Virginia - #7
Kentucky - #12
North Carolina - #31
Georgia - #38
Alabama - #43
South Carolina - #44
Tennessee - #46

(#1, 2 and 3 are Vermont, Maine and New Hampshire)

Unemployment (can be indicative of other things):
Virginia - 3% (low)
South Carolina - 3.4% (low)
Tennessee - 3.6% (moderate)
Georgia - 3.8% (moderate)
North Carolina - 3.9% (moderate)
Alabama - 4.1% (high)
Kentucky - 4.4% (high)

(#1, 2 and 3 are Hawaii, Iowa and North Dakota)

Cost of living (lower is better):
Alabama - #5
Tennessee - #7
Georgia - #9
Kentucky - #14
North Carolina - #20
South Carolina - #26
Virginia - #32

(#1, 2 and 3 are Mississippi, Oklahoma and Michigan)

Tolerance (religious, ethnic, orientation):
Virginia - #11
North Carolina - #13
Georgia - #32
Tennessee - #34
South Carolina - #36
Alabama - #40
Kentucky - #41

(#1, 2 and 3 are Wisconsin, Maryland, Illinois)

Quality of healthcare:
Virginia - #29
North Carolina - #37
South Carolina - #41
Georgia - #42
Tennessee - #43
Kentucky - #45
Alabama - #46

(#1, 2 and 3 are Hawaii, Washington and Iowa)

Subjectively, from me? I find the entire Blue Ridge mountain area to be beautiful. Northern Georgia and western NC and Virginia in particular. Plus, living up in the mountains, especially at higher elevations, cuts back on humidity and makes the summers much more pleasant. I think in terms of moderate and pleasant weather year-round, you can't do much better than living pretty far south at high elevation. Asheville NC for example is known for its good weather, which it has largely because of its elevation and latitude.

Old 10-07-2018, 10:07 AM

9,866 posts, read 14,195,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edujop View Post
I am just looking for an overview of states, if you don't mind. It could be based on personal opinion, political impressions, cultural, fiscal, etc. I am looking hard at TN right now. But I hear things about meth and crazy moon-shining hillbillies, and it kind of scares me.
That's not an accurate portrayal at all. You'll find those same aspects in all southeastern states. Meth is a nationwide issue.

I live in TN now, and what you describe you are looking for, you'll find in abundance in Tennessee. What sets TN apart in my experiences, is the friendliness and small town charm of the state. Not to mention the absolute stunning geographical beauty in this state. If you want growing medium-sized cities, Knoxville and Chattanooga fit that and have universities, great dining/bars and good nightlife. Nashville is the booming capital and is growing like wildfire in a good way. Memphis is a bit more rough around the edges, but is gentrifying and offers super low cost of living and a great nightlife scene as well.

Try the Cumberland Plateau area, the Smoky Mountain foothills area or northeastern tri-cities area. I feel like the tri-cities might be a solid choice for you. Johnson City is low-cost, has great smaller city amenities (67,000 people), has a mid sized university in East Tennessee, and the downtown is growing and currently experiencing a booming beer brewing influx, as well as a number of great restaurants opening up.

As for other states in the southeast, North Carolina ranks high, as well as South Carolina, Georgia and Virginia, along with Tennessee. Can't go wrong with any of those states, really, based on what you need.

I travel often for work, and all over the southeast. With higher-populated states with 1 or 2 major cities, there are more tax dollars for community infrastructure, state infrastructure, and roadways, utilities, etc., so this allows for major investment to pour into the state in the form of residential, commercial, and industrial.
As-a-result, these states typically have more modernized small and mid-sized towns and cities, with more "latest and greatest everything"--from big chain restaurants, to better known stores, to better bars/entertainment, jobs, and an influx of different types of folks--both residents and tourists.

Based off of this, in my experience, I'd rank the states this way, from best to worst, based on above criteria:
(2017 estimated populations)
1) Georgia (population 10.4 million)
2) Florida (population 21 million--although I just don't particularly like FL to live as an option at all, myself. Too flat and muggy)
2) North Carolina (population 10.2 million)
3) Virginia (population 8.1 million)
4) Tennessee (population 6.8 million)
5) South Carolina (population 5.2 million)

6) Alabama (population 4.9 million)
7) Louisiana (population 4.6 million)
8) Kentucky (population 4.5 million)
9) Arkansas (population 3 million)
10) Mississippi (population 3 million)
11) West Virginia (population 1.8 million)

Last edited by jjbradleynyc; 10-07-2018 at 10:25 AM..

Old 10-07-2018, 11:16 AM

38 posts, read 22,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edujop View Post
I discovered VA last night, the Roanoke area. I was looking at the recreation in the area and it looked quite nice.
Good choice, overall it is a very diverse state with culturally distinct regions.

Old 10-07-2018, 11:36 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,216,774 times
What kind of weather are you looking for? There can be a pretty big difference between upper south states with 4 seasons, and deep southern states without 4 seasons. Coming from Idaho (I'm also from Idaho) all of them are going to seem very humid and hot by comparison with alot of bugs. That's something I would keep in mind.

Old 10-07-2018, 12:01 PM

8,389 posts, read 8,602,374 times
City is more defining than state. Within each state there is quite a range in city quality. If you haven't yet, look at a Money magazine or U.S. News & Report city ranking.

But at state level, many would put GA, NC and VA in top 5 in state. After that it varies more. TN and / or KY. Some like AR. Why? Jobs, growth. Colleges. Somewhat milder / more four season. Mountains. Perhaps less deep south history / legacy. Or maybe just less obvious.

US News ranked states recently and in south they had Florida "best" followed by VA, NC, TN, GA. A 10 category ranking. On "quality of life", none of these southern states ranked above average. Tended to do better on "opportunity", infrastructure and "fiscal stability".

Roanoke is a good choice. Boone NC. Cookeville TN. Bowling Green KY.

Last edited by NW Crow; 10-07-2018 at 12:42 PM..

Old 10-07-2018, 02:17 PM

155 posts, read 285,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
If you are looking for mountains & woods, then your best bets are Virginia, West Virginia and parts of North Carolina.

Eastern Kentucky and E. Tennessee are also possibilities for you.

Asheville, NC is a nice location in the mountainous areas and is right by two forested areas (Cherokee & Nantahala).

Roanoake, VA is also a possibility for outdoors recreation.

West Virginia is pretty much mountainous/wooded throughout so you have your choice of areas to live. Morgantown is surrounded by great scenery and is only about an hour from Pittsburgh. Elkins is a smaller town but is in the hills/mountains and is an outdoors lover's paradise.

None of these places are particularly high COL but Roanoake would probably be the more expensive to live in.

TN does not have an income tax but the state sales tax is 9% and many cities tack on an additional 1 or 2%. Groceries and food are also taxed here!

Kentucky is pretty low COL throughout the state unless of course you are looking to live in an estate in one of the larger cities (Lexington or Lousiville).

Availability of housing and costs of course will vary depending on where you live in which particular state.

Any other particular needs/wants that you have? Want to be near water? Certain climate? Need an airport?
Which cities/towns are you comparing Roanoke to when you say "Roanoke would probably be the more expensive to live in." Roanoke is a very affordable city. You mentioned Asheville and Roanoke's COL is certainly more affordable than Asheville.

Old 10-07-2018, 02:29 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,377,000 times
OP wants a place that is "accepting of outsiders" yet calls people "hillbillies" (I know rocket scientists who make moonshine), in addition to stating that Georgia, WV, and NC are the "most desirable" Southern States. As far as I can tell, this is not based on actually having experienced any of the Southern States, but based on Internet "research" with who knows what criteria.

Your attitude will not lead to acceptance in any Southern State.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.