Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 01:48 AM

195 posts, read 328,783 times

Advertisements

I am moving from Idaho, and I am up to my neck in southern state research. There are just so many possibilities that my head is swimming. I do not need to concern myself with work because I plan to day-trade for a living from home. Although currently I am working as a local truck driver (not over-the-road). So initially I may do local trucking just so I can have the credentials needed to find a rental house. I am a 57 year old guy with some cats. Ok, so the point is, I am overwhelmed by how many great places there are in the South. For example, Tennessee seems to have many nice medium sized cities, as does Georgia, Virginia, Alabama, Kentucky, South Carolina, North Carolina, even Missouri and Arkansas. (I am not interested in Texas). I don't have a reason to go to any of them i.e., I don't have family, and I'm not being transferred by an employer. So it's overwhelming the possibilities. I would like to have rivers, and wooded areas. But I think just about any place in the South has these features. Tennessee doesn't have state income tax, but in truth that doesn't really matter to me. What are your thoughts on the most desirable state in the South to live? Basically, I want a place that is clean, and the people are happy (and accepting of outsiders).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2018, 01:53 AM

37,794 posts, read 41,491,884 times
You mentioned medium-sized cities. What's the population range you're looking at? Is COL a factor? Do you prefer areas closer to the coast or the mountains? Any other preferences you can name would be helpful.

Old 10-06-2018, 07:25 AM

26,826 posts, read 43,300,897 times
I would vote for North Carolina as it's a state with a good number of desirable medium-sized cities that are transplant friendly with plenty of tree cover, as well as river/lake recreation options. Winston Salem, Greensboro, Durham and High Point fit within the "medium-sized" criteria and feature bordering towns like Kernersville, Hillsborough, Jamestown and Elon that would also be suitable options.

Old 10-06-2018, 08:35 AM

2,323 posts, read 1,539,474 times
Go with VA. Mountains, cities, country, woods, lakes, rivers, a bay, islands. If you want to travel to a large city, just go north and if you want a Sunbelt city, drive south.

NC is a good second option.

Old 10-06-2018, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I would vote for North Carolina as it's a state with a good number of desirable medium-sized cities that are transplant friendly with plenty of tree cover, as well as river/lake recreation options. Winston Salem, Greensboro, Durham and High Point fit within the "medium-sized" criteria and feature bordering towns like Kernersville, Hillsborough, Jamestown and Elon that would also be suitable options.

Thank you. I haven't hardly researched NC thus far.

Old 10-06-2018, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
Go with VA. Mountains, cities, country, woods, lakes, rivers, a bay, islands. If you want to travel to a large city, just go north and if you want a Sunbelt city, drive south.

NC is a good second option.

I discovered VA last night, the Roanoke area. I was looking at the recreation in the area and it looked quite nice.

Old 10-06-2018, 09:50 AM

451 posts, read 359,206 times
OP, can you explain what you mean by a “medium sized city?”

Old 10-06-2018, 10:00 AM

2,916 posts, read 1,492,983 times
I would say Texas, but you said you were not interested.

I moved from Louisiana to Texas at age 23. Been here 23.5 years now. All that time was in College Station, except for 8 months in Dallas in 2003. I came back to College Station. Love it here.

No Texas is your loss

Old 10-06-2018, 10:37 AM

1,002 posts, read 899,999 times
My vote is NC or Virginia as well, both are very nice in places.

Old 10-06-2018, 01:43 PM

[quote=FalstaffBlues;53289604]OP, can you explain what you mean by a “medium sized city?”[/quote.

actually I should have said small to medium sized city. Raleigh big city, Nashville big city, Tallahassee medium city, Rome, GA small city, Knoxville medium city, Athens, GA small city, Louisville medium sized city, in my opinon. I prefer small cities. Roanoke is an example of a size city I like.

Last edited by edujop; 10-06-2018 at 01:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.