U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 12:16 PM

5 posts, read 1,932 times

Advertisements

I'm 23 years old with a high school diploma and currently live in Los Angeles and work as a bartender. I also do some gigs in Vegas in some clubs/hotels seasonally for some extra money. I made around $52k last year, and will make a but more this year

I love Los Angeles for the outdoors activities and all the varied nightlife and recreation it offers in the area but I feel like it's overpriced here. I'm getting by since I have roommates and I have solid savings at over $40 thousand and no debt

I have some job offers in Las Vegas and Atlanta but i'm also considering Louisiana (my home state), Texas, Tennessee and Florida. I'm very social so I really can fit in almost anywhere I move to so culture isn't a huge concern

Last edited by Liam12345; 10-07-2018 at 12:53 PM.. Reason: Unnecessarily long
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2018, 12:57 PM

I shortened the post a bit as it felt long and boring, but basically I want to move somewhere affordable (roommates are fine), has a strong arts and music and live performances scene (comedy shows, etc.) , good nightlife especially clubs, and a ton of outdoor activities (within several hour drives is fine)

I'm really glad I found this forum, thanks for what you do everyone

Old 10-07-2018, 03:26 PM

496 posts, read 146,231 times
Virtually anywhere will be more affordable than LA, but *most* cities will also be quieter and more introverted. I'd say Vegas is a good choice, as can be some Florida cities - Miami comes to mind. From your description I doubt you'd be as happy in Louisiana.

Old 10-07-2018, 04:20 PM

3,883 posts, read 4,043,121 times
In addition to the places identified above, you might consider Nashville, maybe Colorado Springs, Boise, Reno, Scottsdale AZ, Austin...

Old 10-07-2018, 06:23 PM

17,662 posts, read 4,058,482 times
Austin, Texas could work.Texas does not have the best outdoors stuff but it works for me.A lot of it depends on what kind of outdoors things you like to do.

Old 10-07-2018, 10:24 PM

6,554 posts, read 10,257,939 times
For outdoors Austin's the "best" choice in the Texas Triangle, but it's a few rungs lower than LA/Denver/Seattle/Portland etc.

I wouldn't move to DFW unless you're ok with grimy lakes and/or driving 3-5 hours to get to outdoor recreation that's average at best.

Last edited by bluescreen73; 10-07-2018 at 10:34 PM..

Old 10-08-2018, 02:32 AM

13,571 posts, read 22,018,249 times
I highly recommend Atlanta based on your criteria.

Old 10-08-2018, 09:09 AM

@EckyX

Honestly i'd be fine with any mid to large cities with good nightlife options because I work in that industry, and i also love nature in general and i go to weekend trips for mountain or water activities often with friends

@NW Crow

Nashville is also up there in my preferred cities, as is Austin. Colorado Springs, Boise, Reno and Scottsdale don't seem to have as much things going on, I can't find much job listings online for my job unfortunately

@C24L

Really weekend getaways mostly like skiing, some mountain climbing, beaches, hiking and rarely things like mountain biking and kayaking. In the day to day it's going to be my morning run & gym and some biking in the city

@bluescreen73

I like Denver and Portland too, i'll look into them

@aries4118

Thanks for the recommendation, it's hard to decide haha

Old 10-08-2018, 09:25 AM

6,554 posts, read 10,257,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam12345 View Post
@bluescreen73

I like Denver and Portland too, i'll look into them
If you're looking into the Front Range, don't overlook Colorado Springs. It's considerably smaller than Denver, but the cost of living is a little lower.

Old 10-08-2018, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
If you're looking into the Front Range, don't overlook Colorado Springs. It's considerably smaller than Denver, but the cost of living is a little lower.
My issue is with Colorado Springs is with job opportunities i'm sure it's a lovely city but i'm in a situation where i'm trapped in nightlife destinations because bartender salaries are quite low, so a significant sum of my yearly salary is from seasonal gigs which I do on my free days which are usually only available at large cities

I have also been looking at a possible career change, but i'm not sure what yet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or