U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 11:55 AM

5,694 posts, read 8,762,354 times

Advertisements

It would require the US going bankrupt and selling off the Great Smokies Park. Not pleasant to consider. There are some houses near "bold" streams in the Gatlinburg area but that involves way too much traffic. Or maybe in Cosby but that county has an aura of lawlessness. I can tent camp beside Big Creek for $8.75 a night now that I'm a senior. That's pretty nice but the creek was a little too loud and I didn't sleep as well as I'd like.

I guess the answer is $15K for a reliable economical used car and the freedom to visit my dream place once or twice a week. It is an hour away and free once you get there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2018, 06:46 PM

7,150 posts, read 5,420,672 times
A house on the hills in Malibu. It takes a lot of money. I'll settle for a house by the lake in the Carolinas for now.

Old 10-08-2018, 09:00 PM

31 posts, read 13,703 times
I currently live in my favorite place on earth, Manhattan Beach CA.

I also lived in Sydney AU for a couple of years, and it's a VERY close second.

What did it take? Basically just a solid work-ethic and some intelligence. If you believe it you can achieve it.

I wish all of you nothing but luck, whatever your dream is. I'm a beach bum so this is my dream. Some people love large open spaces, or mountains, or complete isolation.

Keep working and no matter what your dream is I know you will one day reach it.

Good luck.

Old 10-08-2018, 10:12 PM

652 posts, read 312,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovelondon View Post
After backpacking around Europe for 3 months right after University, I wanted to live there. So, thanks to International Experience Canada, I was able to move to London! After 5 years of living there, I had to move back to Canada due to paperwork issues. I'm now thinking of my next destination, which is still undecided.
For those Canadians here dreaming of living and working overseas (except the US), check out the link I posted above.

You love frenetic Asian cities? There's Tokyo, Seoul, Hong Kong, and Taiwan.
Rainforests? Costa Rica is waiting.
Beaches? Australia, Chile, and Croatia are available.
Mountains, fjords, and the great outdoors? Switzerland, Austria, New Zealand, Sweden, and Norway provide endless possibilities.
Interested in pumping European nightlife? You can live in London, Berlin, Barcelona, or Amsterdam.

The world is your oyster! Show the world that Canadian flag on your backpack.

Old 10-08-2018, 10:38 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,642,493 times
I love cities but when I am out in nature I prefer truly quiet areas. I like the extremes of big, dense cities with lots of activities, amenities, and things to do, but nature I don't like jam-packed trails and beaches swarming with screaming children (would prefer a poorer quality beach if it means quieter, etc.)

My dream place doesn't exist. It would be a rust belt city or NE city like Philly in it's urban form and transplanted here to the Desert Southwest. Phoenix comes closest, but doesn't have the urban neighborhoods like NE cities do. Phoenix also gets too hot for too long if we are talking about dream places.

Deserts have the beauty of being lifeless. And I think in that way many people actively hate and dislike them. But those who truly value deserts for what they are--lifeless, quiet, big horizons--can really appreciate them.

Assuming my dream place did exist, I would need whatever it would take to buy a townhouse/rowhouse in a walkable area outright with no mortgage and a good job. Here in Phoenix these incredibly small pockets are close to 400-700k for an average sized space (so the option does exist, just not as many choices). Cities in the DSW with better climates like ABQ and El Paso I'm not sure if they have this option because the cities themselves are mid-sized, but would be cheaper.

Old 10-10-2018, 07:31 AM
sub

789 posts, read 409,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Where do you live now and where do you dream of living? What would it take for you to be able to live there? Do you think it's likely to ever happen? What's preventing you from making it happen?
I live in the Ozarks and have plans to leave in the coming months.
I'd live in a lot of places outside the eastern/southern U.S. I don't have a dream place, but I like the Great Lakes a lot, and some parts of the west.
Wages don't seem to be drastically different from place to place in my line of work, so the more affordable the better.
Dream lifestyle is a much bigger issue for me personally.
As something of a minimalist at heart and just a bit restless, I'd be happiest in an Airstream or something. Tiny house-ish. Even a van down by the river. Monastic community. The more stuff I have the more miserable I am.
My family is a little more conventional than me. It's not really a hurdle or a huge issue, but they keep me from having all my worldly possessions from fitting into a backpack.

Old 10-10-2018, 12:06 PM

1,179 posts, read 659,607 times
To live comfortably in Manhattan, I'd need to about double and a half my salary. Until then, I'd settle for Queens or Brooklyn.

Old 10-10-2018, 12:35 PM

6,574 posts, read 3,664,491 times
I walk out the door -- another day in paradise.

Old 10-10-2018, 12:44 PM

4,857 posts, read 2,984,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
To live comfortably in Manhattan, I'd need to about double and a half my salary. Until then, I'd settle for Queens or Brooklyn.
Northern Jersey looks affordable.

Old 10-10-2018, 05:53 PM

20,849 posts, read 35,958,846 times
Sure do, all the time. Unfortunately, one often has to live in less than desirable locales to be able to save for retirement... I plan on buying a small- almost tiny house in a scenic area in the Northwoods lake country for retirement that is low maintenance, and 20 minutes to a hospital. Cold never bothers me, unlike the majority of Americans. I HATE HATE heat, humidity, and excessive sunlight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or