U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 06:38 AM

1,157 posts, read 653,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Northern Jersey looks affordable.
Meh, no thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2018, 10:27 AM

4,843 posts, read 2,973,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
Meh, no thanks.
If you don't have to commute into the city is it that bad?

Old 10-14-2018, 05:17 PM

44 posts, read 31,130 times
We’re in so cal and I passionately hate it. My dream is the up in Michigan, but my husband would never go for it, we’re compromising on south east Michigan. But I’m really scared he’ll chicken out again. I can’t do another year here. So I guess it will take my husband making a decision. Either that or a divorce.

Old 10-14-2018, 10:46 PM

6,053 posts, read 3,377,056 times
I already live in Minnesota. It took a major sacrifice but I did it. Wouldn't wanna live anywhere else in this big green and blue ball in the starry sky.

Old 10-15-2018, 06:22 AM

4,342 posts, read 7,418,374 times
For us to continue to pay our property taxes and utility bills.

Seriously. I have lived within an hour of my native small town for my entire 53 years with the exception of one brief, unhappy stint in the Phoenix area. I used to think that I would want to live elsewhere. When I was a younger adult I would go on vacation and dream of living wherever it was that we went and find endless fault with where we live. However, as the years have passed and our roots here have only grown deeper which would make a major move even more traumatic, our adult kids have happily settled here and have no desire to leave, and our elderly parents whom we are devoted to remain here, I have had a complete change in attitude, a reality check if you will.

Now when I visit those places that I used to pine for, I can see them for what they are, still beautiful and fun to visit but way overcrowded (all), far too hot and humid (Southeast), far too expensive (San Diego, NYC), or with the potential for catastrophic weather (coastal Southeast, SoCal) and I can see that being somewhere less crowded, less expensive, devoid of hurricanes, earthquakes and forest fires, and filled with people who I can relate to in the sense that we grew up in the same area and share a lot of the same perspectives and attitudes, is exactly where I am the happiest. I didn't have to convince DH, he was already there, I'm the stubborn one.

So I guess it becomes sort of a "bloom where you are planted" thing and to some extent we can all find the good in wherever we are if we look for it. I'm not saying that everyone should have this attitude or stay put if they have their hearts set on somewhere else because everyone needs to do what is best for them, just saying that I have finally found that I am in my dream place and I didn't even have to leave my house!

Old 10-15-2018, 06:26 AM

3,539 posts, read 1,513,328 times
I love where I live in the Charlotte area. Don't plan to leave, We love it that much. There area really only 2 other areas my wife and I would ever consider. #1 would be Carolina Beach, NC (just outside of Wilmington). It's just awesome. Pretty affordable for a beach community. Ft. Fisher SP (just south of town) is on the ocean and is my favorite beach on planet Earth! Stunningly beautiful! #2 would be somewhere in the Tamp/St. Petersburg/Orlando region. We've been/stayed/lived (for a short time) there enough over the decades to know we could live there and be happy........Having said all of that, I do think many people do have "the grass is greener" syndrome these days. Too many unrealistic expectations about the "perfect" place. No perfect place exists. But one can come close. Great thread!

Old 10-15-2018, 06:31 AM

5,261 posts, read 3,311,295 times
My dream place is to live on Mars, not sure what the cost would be, $100 billion, $500 billion, $1 trillion?

Old 10-15-2018, 06:46 PM

13,236 posts, read 24,407,950 times
Sucking it up, selling my house, and going.

Old 10-19-2018, 12:45 PM

8,946 posts, read 4,095,428 times
$15,000 cash and my car paid off.

Currently live in Oklahoma City and absolutely hate it. This place is way too conservative and overall feels like it's stuck in time. Weather is the worst in the US and it's a day trip minimum to get to any kind of natural scenery or even a real city like Dallas/Ft Worth. Religion runs everything and is inescapable. Almost any of the top 50 cities in the US would be an upgrade and there's only a few I would refuse to relocate to. If I could move anywhere though, it would probably be Denver, Seattle, or Portland.

Old 10-19-2018, 06:40 PM

5,684 posts, read 5,929,554 times
I live in my ideal location. I focused on what was important and pulled the place out of thin air. It is not perfect but it hit all of the major points. My pay is terrible but I am home. It will work out.

I stll have my issues. A place will not change that. When I want to dream, I go on vacation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or