U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 07:23 PM

6,015 posts, read 6,380,569 times

Advertisements

It would take me landing a remote position at my job. I can afford my dream place, but all of our offices are in larger cities (think Omaha and bigger), and it is too far from the closest metro area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2018, 07:25 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,143,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I live in my ideal location. I focused on what was important and pulled the place out of thin air. It is not perfect but it hit all of the major points. My pay is terrible but I am home. It will work out.

I stll have my issues. A place will not change that. When I want to dream, I go on vacation.
See, that's the issue I have. I need to earn at least $50K to live comfortably alone, save some money and save for retirement, but it's very hard to find $50K+ jobs that I'm qualified for and interested in, in rural areas. Changing careers is extremely difficult, too, and some require going back to college, which I'm not willing to do.

Old 10-20-2018, 07:48 PM

3,067 posts, read 2,111,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
$15,000 cash and my car paid off.

Currently live in Oklahoma City and absolutely hate it. This place is way too conservative and overall feels like it's stuck in time. Weather is the worst in the US and it's a day trip minimum to get to any kind of natural scenery or even a real city like Dallas/Ft Worth. Religion runs everything and is inescapable. Almost any of the top 50 cities in the US would be an upgrade and there's only a few I would refuse to relocate to. If I could move anywhere though, it would probably be Denver, Seattle, or Portland.
Although a much more sympathetic take on OKC than yours, you might want to check this book out...author's got a pretty entertaining style. As of now, I've only read about 50 pages or so, granted. Amazon categorizes it as 'sports journalism', and while there is a decent amount of Thunder-related material, that's not even close to the majority, from what I can tell. I first read an excerpt from the book on Politico, a speculative section linking McVeigh's Buffalo Bills fandom to the eventual OKC bombing, and given that McVeigh grew up in my territory (Western New York), I read with some interest. He took a lot of criticism for that (hypo)thesis in the comments section of that Politico article, but...I defended him mostly on the basis of style, lol. Then I saw the book at B&N a few weeks ago and read some more--I do think that the author writes very engagingly, and given your extended purgatory-like stay in OKC, it might be worth a look, even if the author ultimately takes a favorable, romanticized view of the place.

https://www.amazon.com/Boom-Town-Fan...JOGfNE994aUBVk

Old 10-21-2018, 04:41 PM

431 posts, read 189,731 times
I used to obsessively dream about moving west, but I am not as sure as I once was. Now I am considering the East Coast a lot more. It does not have the raw beauty of the west, but I like the highly compact and walkable structure. Who knows though- I'm still on the fence about it all. Tomorrow I might be surefire about going west.

One reason I decided to pursue my current studies is that this field would allow me to find a job and live virtually anywhere in the world.

All I know is that I want to live in a community I care for and want to improve, one that celebrates indie/underground art, one that has many people that care for the community as much as I do.

Not to get soppy and metaphysical, but I'd love to 'feel' this song whenever I walk outside and see the city

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5KV1Lf2NkY

Old 10-21-2018, 04:55 PM

403 posts, read 101,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Do you ever daydream about living in a certain place and think about how you can make it happen?

I do all the time. I feel like my career dictates where I live all these years and it simply isn't fulfilling in terms of satisfaction with where I live. Right now I live in Jacksonville, FL. It's alright. But there are places I would rather live, such as Maine, upstate NY or Florida's panhandle. I like peaceful, quiet, remote places. But there are no real lucrative jobs there! I really don't care too much about career development (I think it's overrated). I suppose I could get a lower paying job, but then I wouldn't be able to save for retirement, would have to live with roommates, or live a subpar standard of living somehow, live paycheck to paycheck or something.

What about you? Where do you live now and where do you dream of living? What would it take for you to be able to live there? Do you think it's likely to ever happen? What's preventing you from making it happen?
I live in Georgia right now and I like my town but WAY to many liberals from Atlanta flooding here raising prices...where would I want to live? Either a town I can cut off from ANYONE I don't want living there or an Island like that. A community that's private and invitation only to live there...I actually made a post on FB about what I would do if I hit the lottery with that money....my community would have its own school,church,homes etc...maybe even businesses eventually.

Old 10-22-2018, 07:11 PM

5,685 posts, read 5,943,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
See, that's the issue I have. I need to earn at least $50K to live comfortably alone, save some money and save for retirement, but it's very hard to find $50K+ jobs that I'm qualified for and interested in, in rural areas. Changing careers is extremely difficult, too, and some require going back to college, which I'm not willing to do.
Yes, it is extremely difficult. I am adjusting and I am getting what is most important to me. I want to live, work and play in my area. I will have to make concessions but that is the way it is.

I do not believe a place can make you happy but it can significantly improve your quality of life.

Old 10-23-2018, 09:45 AM

1,255 posts, read 723,958 times
Having millions of dollars to live off would be a start.

Old 10-25-2018, 10:10 PM

1,220 posts, read 603,887 times
I dream of this all the time. At the moment the destination is New Orleans. I currently live in Richmond Virginia. I love everything about NOLA EXCEPT the crime the education system and the fact that if I wanted to get away from the city there are no other cities within 2 -4 hours I’d like to go to. So I guess my main obstacle is waiting for the kid to grow up and making up my mind.

Old 10-27-2018, 01:22 PM

20,861 posts, read 35,992,597 times
What would it take to be able to afford to live in my preferred location? Lots of investing and saving at a younger age, and living well below my means. Therefore, I will have flexibility to pay cash for a smaller property that needs less expensive to maintain and heat. I will spare no cost for construction at around 1,000 sqft with a partially finished walkout basement. That means R-60 insulation, a backup generator, and two separate heat sources. Air conditioning will not be installed unless I decide on a window unit. An out building and garage is a requirement. Acreage that would be preferred would be at least five, all wooded, and no neighbors visible at all. Proximity to trails and lakes is a given, but prefer not to be on top of any snowmobile trails.

Old 10-27-2018, 09:52 PM

4,948 posts, read 7,610,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odium14 View Post
I live in Georgia right now and I like my town but WAY to many liberals from Atlanta flooding here raising prices...where would I want to live? Either a town I can cut off from ANYONE I don't want living there or an Island like that. A community that's private and invitation only to live there...I actually made a post on FB about what I would do if I hit the lottery with that money....my community would have its own school,church,homes etc...maybe even businesses eventually.
Wow, that is more than a little bit tribal.

When if ever I find myself surrounded only by those who think, look and come from a background essentially the same as I is the time I need to high tail it out of there! A life never challenged, inspired and educated by others different than you is a life not worth living to me.

I am glad to live in an area where that is a daily reality for us and honestly couldn’t think of a better place to be with a dynamic city, diverse and friendly neighborhood and great physical attributes to explore outside all right out the front door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or