U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 06:56 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,138,333 times

Advertisements

Do you ever daydream about living in a certain place and think about how you can make it happen?

I do all the time. I feel like my career dictates where I live all these years and it simply isn't fulfilling in terms of satisfaction with where I live. Right now I live in Jacksonville, FL. It's alright. But there are places I would rather live, such as Maine, upstate NY or Florida's panhandle. I like peaceful, quiet, remote places. But there are no real lucrative jobs there! I really don't care too much about career development (I think it's overrated). I suppose I could get a lower paying job, but then I wouldn't be able to save for retirement, would have to live with roommates, or live a subpar standard of living somehow, live paycheck to paycheck or something.

What about you? Where do you live now and where do you dream of living? What would it take for you to be able to live there? Do you think it's likely to ever happen? What's preventing you from making it happen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2018, 07:29 PM

17,718 posts, read 4,091,837 times
I live in Midland,Texas.There are lots of places i dream about living....mainly in Texas but also in Arizona and New Mexico.I dream about living in Roswell,Albuquerque,Carlsbad and Alamogordo and Las Cruces.Yuma and possibly Phoenix appeal to me in Arizona.I am still stuck here in Midland because my oil company has not gotten off the ground yet.I want to move to a small metro or small town that has colleges like Abilene,Lubbock,Angelo,Waco or Belton or maybe Brownwood in Texas so i can find a wife.I doubt i will get to live in all of these places.I doubt i ever will leave Texas

Id say i have a better shot at living in New Mexico than Arizona because of family and it would be hard to find a church family in Arizona except maybe in Yuma.The biggest thing that would keep me in the Lone Star State would be the lack of a state tax here and that is not the case in the Grand Canyon State and America's Land of Enchantment.i may live out of state in retirement if my company never takes off and i have to work in the oil industry as a employee.

I would prolly move back to Midland after my wedding if thats the case due to higher wages here than Houston.Also the real wildcard that could quite possibly change all these places for me is where my future wife wants to live.Also, i anticipate raising kids a long time before im a empty nester so i may die before i get a shot at all my dream locales.I would want to move back to Texas if i ever did live elsewhere in retirement and settle down in my last place hopefully in the Hill Country before i die.I want to retire when im 70 to 80 or possibly never.I also daydream about towns a lot.We call it "town talk" at my house lol.I think this was a wonderful thread idea,OP.Thanks very much.Sorry for the novel haha

Last edited by C24L; 10-07-2018 at 08:12 PM..

Old 10-08-2018, 03:43 AM

825 posts, read 1,299,868 times
To live and retire in SW Florida--Napes area--I would need to win a lottery.

Honorable mentions would be northern Nevada, northern Arizona, outside of Denver proper(due to jobs) and Maine(not Portland).

Old 10-08-2018, 05:44 AM

4,257 posts, read 2,522,601 times
The kids to be grown and out of the house. Our dream is to live on a boat in no particular area for long. We know we're not cut out for homeschooling so we'll remain here where our kids go to an excellent school until they're out on their own. Then it's bye-bye mom and dad.

Old 10-08-2018, 06:30 AM

23,633 posts, read 17,606,575 times
I've been a lot of places.

I love coastal Maine and the Great Lakes shorelines of the upper Midwest in the summer. I'm not a snow person at all. I can't imagine what it would be like living along the Lake Michigan shoreline in western MI with all the lake effect snow. Coastal Maine would probably have less snow, but it's even cooler in the summer. To me, I wouldn't want to live anywhere without at least a solid three month swimming season.

I lived in Des Moines, IA for awhile. I'll probably never live west of the MS River again. I also lived in Indianapolis for three years. It was better than Iowa, but there are better places to live than central Indiana IMO.

My goal is to get to the Carolinas by 1/2020. Charlotte, Raleigh, or Greenville, SC (ideally). I could take $60k in Greenville. I'd probably need a little more in Charlotte or Raleigh. At this point, I doubt I'll choose anywhere other than the Carolinas, Virginia, Nashville/Knoxville TN, or possibly parts of Georgia or Florida.

Old 10-08-2018, 10:00 AM

656 posts, read 316,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
What about you? Where do you live now and where do you dream of living? What would it take for you to be able to live there? Do you think it's likely to ever happen? What's preventing you from making it happen?
After backpacking around Europe for 3 months right after University, I wanted to live there. So, thanks to International Experience Canada, I was able to move to London! After 5 years of living there, I had to move back to Canada due to paperwork issues. I'm now thinking of my next destination, which is still undecided.

Old 10-08-2018, 10:16 AM

5,907 posts, read 6,335,997 times
I would need to save a lot of money but I plan on retiring to downeast Maine as soon as possible. It’s a lot further out than most tourists are willing to venture but it’s also an impoverished area with few jobs although I could find something in my line of work if I was willing to start at the bottom all over again.

Old 10-08-2018, 10:16 AM

5,091 posts, read 2,150,950 times
A decent paying job that I like, with benefits. Some outdoor/scenic activities, and community events (festivals). I don't think that's asking for too much.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 10-08-2018 at 10:37 AM..

Old 10-08-2018, 10:29 AM

4,860 posts, read 2,995,112 times
400k?

Old 10-08-2018, 10:35 AM

5,091 posts, read 2,150,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
400k?
Thankfully not that much. I'll never live in one of those areas again. That's the best sign that one is in an inefficient and bloated location (spend-hungry, tax-hungry, no one minding the bank/budget), with runaway real estate costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or