U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Least religious region
North East 22 27.85%
Mid-Atlantic 1 1.27%
Upper Midwest 0 0%
Inner Mountain West 4 5.06%
Desert South West 2 2.53%
Pacific North West 36 45.57%
California 12 15.19%
Other 2 2.53%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 03:54 AM

3,067 posts, read 2,108,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
Has to be California- with all the wackos living there.
Funny you should say that--I consider religious people to be wackos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2018, 08:36 AM

5,091 posts, read 2,143,556 times
Painting with wide brush - attacking Californians and religious/spiritual people - goes against American values of freedom of difference, liberty, and diversity. You're either on the side of progress and moving us forward, or going backwards and promoting the worst in American behavior. Guess which side you're on?

You naysayers are just like the idiots in England that drove off people to leave that land, to travel here - in all its uncertainty and hazards - to start a new world, free of the garbage. You rotten apples should go back to your kind, overseas.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 10-11-2018 at 08:57 AM..

Old 10-11-2018, 09:57 AM

8,114 posts, read 17,327,090 times
I think we need to distinguish between non-religious, versus religious but privately so. For instance, in New Jersey, there are many churches everywhere, and many people in my former neighborhood practiced. However, my neighbors would never discuss religion at work. It was never promoted on a billboard. In contrast, in the Pacific Northwest, I have seen far fewer churches, and more folks there are openly agnostic. That is why I cast my vote for the Pacific Northwest. That being said, once you go over the Cascades into Eastern Washington and Oregon, that, to me, is the end of the Pacific Northwest, at least culturally.

Old 10-11-2018, 09:42 PM

7,738 posts, read 9,030,452 times
Not a region, but Montana is surprisingly non religious. I find it a bit shocking just due to how conservative it is.

Old 10-11-2018, 10:43 PM

18,094 posts, read 22,960,701 times
It's not that easy. Every region has it's religious areas or towns. In CA, for instance, every single area has lots of religion and some areas have more people in the population who aren't in religion - but it's always there. And there are vast swaths in CA that are very religious. It seems to go hand-in-hand with whatever city or county votes red - they will usually also be more religious overall than blue areas/towns.

So, in CA, that usually is the more rural areas and smaller towns. But, the whole state is not Los Angeles or San Francisco. People who haven't researched or toured this huge state don't realize that.

I also lived in the PNW for many, many years, and it's the same thing there. Tons of churches everywhere - in rural areas and in cities. As far as the majority of any of these sub-populations being religious - again - just look at how they voted. If they voted Republican, they will usually be more religious.

Also, look at the population - if an area has a large percentage of hispanics, for instance, there will be a higher number of Catholics.

At any rate, it's just not simple enough to cast a vote for an entire state or region as being more religious than another. Too many factors to consider, in my opinion.

Old 10-12-2018, 12:13 AM

1,152 posts, read 1,474,881 times
People look at Los Angeles and might think people are not religious but actually is very religious but different religions.
The large hispanic community is primarily Catholic, other other Christian sects. A lot of Koreans are Christian/Catholic, too. Filipinos, Armenians are other large ethnic communities in Christian faith.
A lot of Jews, Muslims, Buddhists and other non-christians practicing. Esp with the immigrant groups.

Overall in LA you dont find too many people in your face about religion, too often. I think it is because there are so many types and also a sizable agnostic and atheist people. People tend to follow their own path in life and dont like it when a particular faith or sect tries to dominate over people. I feel this is repeating over most of the counties/cities in California.

Old 10-12-2018, 01:03 AM

5,551 posts, read 3,697,368 times
Is there a difference between "religious" and "spiritual"...I know that is a loaded question, but I have always found my home area of the Northwest to be quite "spiritual", but not very "religious".

Old 10-12-2018, 06:33 AM

664 posts, read 582,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Is there a difference between "religious" and "spiritual"...I know that is a loaded question, but I have always found my home area of the Northwest to be quite "spiritual", but not very "religious".
I agree. That's why it's hard for me to answer the OP's question. You can be religious and spiritual and that can mean a lot of things. It does not necessary have to have anything to do with God or a god. So for me, when the question is not clear every section of the country is equally religious.

Old 10-12-2018, 08:29 AM

5,091 posts, read 2,143,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Is there a difference between "religious" and "spiritual"...I know that is a loaded question...
They can be related, and worth combining together at times; expressing a common connection with what is beyond the material and the seen, and having an openness and appreciation of that possible 6th sense of a higher power or powers.

But yes, they are also quite different too. Religious equating to heavily-dependent of structures, rules, formalities, and often the opinions of others. Spiritual dispensing of all of that, for a lean and simple approach that is usually highly personal and unique.

I still stand by my view that many in the PNW seem to think they are above anything spiritual, anything beyond the material and tangible world we see. I.e. that they are so intelligent, and that it's foolish to "waste" time with anything that science doesn't glorify and approve of.

Old 10-12-2018, 07:31 PM

5,551 posts, read 3,697,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
They can be related, and worth combining together at times; expressing a common connection with what is beyond the material and the seen, and having an openness and appreciation of that possible 6th sense of a higher power or powers.

But yes, they are also quite different too. Religious equating to heavily-dependent of structures, rules, formalities, and often the opinions of others. Spiritual dispensing of all of that, for a lean and simple approach that is usually highly personal and unique.

I still stand by my view that many in the PNW seem to think they are above anything spiritual, anything beyond the material and tangible world we see. I.e. that they are so intelligent, and that it's foolish to "waste" time with anything that science doesn't glorify and approve of.
I believe you may be correct with "some" in the PNW, but not "most". The Seattle metro church attendance is below the national average, that is factual. However, there are plenty in the area who attend and are believers. The area is not completely agnostic and/or atheist as some outsiders believe.

Interesting to note that Washington State has a higher percentage of LDS than both Oregon and California. Also higher than Colorado, Utah's eastern neighbor. And higher than most of anywhere east of the Mississippi. Yes, this is just one religious sect, (I know some don't like the "sect" word, but it does apply IMO.)

My main point is it is difficult to paint with a broad brush religious attitudes in specific areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or