U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-13-2018, 09:46 AM
 
9,383 posts, read 9,529,334 times
Reputation: 5786

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
So please show me the area where our local media is saying downtown DC and isnít talking about all the areas I mentioned? Youíre actually proving my boundaries.
I'm confused? I thought you were arguing nobody called anywhere Downtown DC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-13-2018, 10:29 AM
 
9,838 posts, read 11,426,863 times
Reputation: 2353
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I'm confused? I thought you were arguing nobody called anywhere Downtown DC?
Nobody does. What the news calls Downtown DC is all the neighborhoods all over DC that people in this thread have been trying to say arenít DC. The news doesnít really use local neighborhood names so your point about the news labeling things was pointless. They generalize areas. You mentioned curbed and our local media and both of those outlets labeled Logan Circle and NOMA downtown which most people have argued is not apart of downtown DC all throughout this website.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2018, 10:42 AM
 
9,383 posts, read 9,529,334 times
Reputation: 5786
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Nobody does. What the news calls Downtown DC is all the neighborhoods all over DC that people in this thread have been trying to say arenít DC. The news doesnít really use local neighborhood names so your point about the news labeling things was pointless. They generalize areas. You mentioned curbed and our local media and both of those outlets labeled Logan Circle and NOMA downtown which most people have argued is not apart of downtown DC all throughout this website.
It isn't pointless because the news tries to communicate information to people. If nobody had any idea what constituted Downtown DC was they wouldn't use the term. but they do. Just because there are subsections doesn't mean the whole thing doesn't exist.


The fact that Telegraph Hill, City Point, Fort Point, Andrews Square, and the Seaport District all exist doesn't negate the fact that South Boston very much is a thing that exists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2018, 10:50 AM
 
9,838 posts, read 11,426,863 times
Reputation: 2353
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
It isn't pointless because the news tries to communicate information to people. If nobody had any idea what constituted Downtown DC was they wouldn't use the term. but they do. Just because there are subsections doesn't mean the whole thing doesn't exist.


The fact that Telegraph Hill, City Point, Fort Point, Andrews Square, and the Seaport District all exist doesn't negate the fact that South Boston very much is a thing that exists.
So then you agree that Downtown DC is larger in land area than every city except NYC because the DC media told you so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2018, 10:52 AM
 
9,383 posts, read 9,529,334 times
Reputation: 5786
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
So then you agree that Downtown DC is larger in land area than every city except NYC because the DC media told you so?
Sure, the borders of what is considered Downtown is pretty arbitrary.

doesn't mean its the largest urban core.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2018, 10:55 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
2,918 posts, read 3,631,613 times
Reputation: 2141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
To the bolded, of course you can. I shop there. Fail.



Based on this flawed logic, the Boqueria in Barcelona, Camden Market in London, Markthalle Neun in Berlin, Torvehallerne in Copenhaven, Marchť des Enfants Rouges in Paris and Foodhallen in Amsterdam don't serve as grocery vendors either. Nice, albeit provincial, try.
I was in Camden market literally just last week. It is definitely not a grocery store and literally no one in the world besides you considers it to be one. To be a grocery store fundamentally it has to be a store that sells groceries. None of these places are a single store much less a grocery store. Camden Market also sells clothing. Does that make it a department store? I donít argue your point that you can buy groceries in downtown Atlanta although your choices appear to be very limited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2018, 11:55 AM
 
4,477 posts, read 2,659,202 times
Reputation: 4083
Downtown DC apparently includes a lot of single-family townhouses. I love these areas but it's not what I'd call downtown.

Residential density is an interesting topic. Seattle is lacking compared to some of the top cities but not others. Based on various definitions of "downtown," we probably beat LA and DC.

DC relies on the area north of Massachusetts and the District Commons area, and looking at a 2016 ACS map I'd guess the downtown/government core would be in the 20-30k/sm range even with some of those farther areas.

LA's density is mostly well west of Downtown despite recent additions. Much of greater Downtown isn't very residential. If you go basically on row of census tracts beyond the Harbor Freeway the average will be ok, but again, it's probably somewhere in the 20s.

Downtown Seattle was 31,909/sm for a 2.7 square mile area on 7/1/18 using Washington State Office of Financial Management. It was 27,919/sm using a 4.5 square mile area. That's 86,378 or 126,305 residents. State estimates by tract are here.
--The first uses King County tracts 71 (007100), 72, 73, 7401, 7402, 8001, 8002, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 91, 92.
--The second adds 66, 67, 70, 75, 86.

We're well below B, P, C, SF, NY in this regard. I can't wait for 40,000/sm and I'm hoping for 50,000. That's the sort of city I want us to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2018, 12:41 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
2,918 posts, read 3,631,613 times
Reputation: 2141
Downtown Seattle density is very impressive. How many square miles is that over?

For LA, I disagree with the common definition of downtown. Itís an auto centric definition defined by freeway locations. What I see happening in the future is the areas to the west (MacArthur Park and Westlake) will be squeezed by gentrification from the west (Koreatown) and east (downtown) and will be considered part of greater downtown once they arenít slums.

I already consider them part of downtown. I can walk there in 15 minutes while the Arts District which is supposedly part of downtown is a 10-20 minute Uber ride depending on traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2018, 12:58 PM
 
Location: Madison, Alabama
3,570 posts, read 1,697,637 times
Reputation: 2796
I grew up in a small city, about 50,000, and it had a fully functional downtown at the time. There were no shopping centers at the time so all retail was downtown. Now, it's almost a ghost town in the downtown area. And it's like that in most towns except the very largest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2018, 12:59 PM
 
9,838 posts, read 11,426,863 times
Reputation: 2353
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Downtown DC apparently includes a lot of single-family townhouses. I love these areas but it's not what I'd call downtown.

Residential density is an interesting topic. Seattle is lacking compared to some of the top cities but not others. Based on various definitions of "downtown," we probably beat LA and DC.

DC relies on the area north of Massachusetts and the District Commons area, and looking at a 2016 ACS map I'd guess the downtown/government core would be in the 20-30k/sm range even with some of those farther areas.

LA's density is mostly well west of Downtown despite recent additions. Much of greater Downtown isn't very residential. If you go basically on row of census tracts beyond the Harbor Freeway the average will be ok, but again, it's probably somewhere in the 20s.

Downtown Seattle was 31,909/sm for a 2.7 square mile area on 7/1/18 using Washington State Office of Financial Management. It was 27,919/sm using a 4.5 square mile area. That's 86,378 or 126,305 residents. State estimates by tract are here.
--The first uses King County tracts 71 (007100), 72, 73, 7401, 7402, 8001, 8002, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 91, 92.
--The second adds 66, 67, 70, 75, 86.

We're well below B, P, C, SF, NY in this regard. I can't wait for 40,000/sm and I'm hoping for 50,000. That's the sort of city I want us to be.
DCís downtown is twice the size of Seattle. Which area are you referring to? The residential areas of DCís downtown are in Mt. Vernon Triangle, NOMA, Union Market, Capital Riverfront, Dupont, Logan Circle, and SW Wharf. The financial district in Golden Triangle and the Government complex on the national mall donít have much residential development like most areas of their kind across the nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top