U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2018, 08:12 AM

22,331 posts, read 32,176,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post
I'm just saying I would rather live in a functioning downtown . I believe just because it's old and historical doesn't make it more functioning. Maybe if Philly had a full size Target at least in center city then it would be partial functioning. The Macys downtown has been stripped its only two floors. There is no movie theater complexes not multiple like other cities. The main mall downtown is mostly vacant and being remodeled. It's sad for a city philly's size to have a small downtown I really hope the new mall really takes off and spurs other development. I'm talking not land size but built environment.

wow, so you are suggesting Philly is not a functioning DT? None are then in US, just wow

I can walk to 7 grocery stores including the new sprouts
Movie theaters
3 targets
2 Dept Stores
Philly has a ton of retail, many more interesting than national chains
Ballet
Numerous Theaters (performing arts)
Orchestra
Museums (a ton)
Parks
Subways
Open Air Markets
Farmers markets
bars and restaurants (extremely highly concentrated)
Jobs
Housing

Even Wawas - personally probably no city without a walkable wawa is fully functioning

On department store, I cant remember the last time I bought stuff in a department store (actually take that back I did at Century 21)

the only thing Seattle could possibly claim as better would Department stores I am just completely confused and baffled by your post to be honest

Last edited by kidphilly; 10-25-2018 at 08:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2018, 09:31 AM

4,490 posts, read 2,676,874 times
The main difference appears to be that Seattle has less urban cohesiveness but its pro sports are walkable from the center.

Old 10-25-2018, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
The main difference appears to be that Seattle has less urban cohesiveness but its pro sports are walkable from the center.

It would be a 40 minute walk for me to the stadium complex, walkable but long, the subway only takes ten minutes

another factor DT for Seattle is the steep hills in certain areas, visually interesting but can make some walks for some folks less desirable

I really like Seattle and its DT, but to me it still is not quite in the discussion with DTs like SF/Philly/Boston

Closer to DC but for me DC is still a step above

Another factor where Seattle is a significant laggard is the cohesiveness and density of the next set anf next set of nabes relative to the others, the density drops significantly more quickly in Seattle; that said areas like South Lake union are very appealing albeit not as dense in the classical sense

to me Seattle is pretty clear as number 7, with LA sort of close behind, though at this point I might make a statement that Seattle is pretty much fully functioning, LA maybe not quite but pretty close
So I might suggest there are 7 fully functioning DTs

Old 10-25-2018, 10:05 AM

Walking from work or home to the stadium is very different than having a trip involved.

Hills...you get used to those pretty quickly, though I don't go straight from a hill to a meeting.

The Seattle core's mass, including SLU, is vastly higher today vs. let's say 2016, and like night and day compared to 2011 for example. In an area a little larger than Philly's CC, we've added (or have underway) about 15,000,000 sf of offices, 3,500 hotel rooms, and 31,000 housing units. Plus multiple grade-separated rail spokes, a two-mile freeway tunnel opening this winter that will allow the removal of a viaduct, a second convention center, a rebuilt arena (just starting), hospital expansions...

Old 10-25-2018, 10:17 AM

5,911 posts, read 6,546,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Yes of course you are right. Just noting the store still survived as a retail multi-level one store retail mall. Nothing will replace the original. But the Tiffany dome is still very much intact, the Walnut room. I believe the little ice cream shop on a higher level is still preserved and Macy's i believe did restorations to reopen the levels looking up? I thing tourist still stop to see it and of course Christmas they still do the windows that carries the tradition.

What is really left of the old Lord and Taylor inside ... now a Target? Yes it was a sad day Marshall Fields fell. But could have been worst for the building , that's basically what i meant. Not that Macy's compares today. Water Tower Place Mall on N Michigan Ave. with the former Chi icon now a Macy's too. Has the Mall still a tourist attraction and seems all stores filled on its like 8 levels? Built in the very early 70s it really still looks great as it was built. Clearly played a key in even downtown's true expansion to it today and N Michigan retailing.
Carson Pirie Scott on State: now Target

Lord & Taylor, Water Tower Place: now American Girl

Old 10-25-2018, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Walking from work or home to the stadium is very different than having a trip involved.

Hills...you get used to those pretty quickly, though I don't go straight from a hill to a meeting.

The Seattle core's mass, including SLU, is vastly higher today vs. let's say 2016, and like night and day compared to 2011 for example. In an area a little larger than Philly's CC, we've added (or have underway) about 15,000,000 sf of offices, 3,500 hotel rooms, and 31,000 housing units. Plus multiple grade-separated rail spokes, a two-mile freeway tunnel opening this winter that will allow the removal of a viaduct, a second convention center, a rebuilt arena (just starting), hospital expansions...

I know Seattle pretty well and am there for work 4 or so times a year these days; lots of development agreed but still hasn't closed the gap, and all the others are adding too (maybe not quite as quickly)

And agree I love to be able to walk, why I love a DT like Philly

Seattle doesn't have (to anywhere near the same extent) the next (and next and next) set of dense urban nabes the others do and that really does make a huge difference especially when living in a a place IMHO (as these are walkable into the core or out of)

SLU still drops off in intensity pretty quickly moving away from the DT (while infilling it still doesn't feel all that urban past the first few blocks into SLU), as a next nabe would be significantly less intense than say a U City (or Dupont or Back Bay) as an example but the lake is truly gorgeous and being able to watch sea planes take off and land is quite unique IMHO

Old 10-25-2018, 10:30 AM

9,456 posts, read 5,265,339 times
Quote:

Fyi, Philadelphia's sports complex is east and south of residential neighborhoods in S. Philly and is walkable from those.

Old 10-25-2018, 11:17 AM

22,154 posts, read 23,683,428 times
If Seattle's downtown is part of the cut-off, then LA's and Boston's should be on the original list as well. The only reason why DC might not be on it is because of the large business-only footprint that comes from being the capital city of a massive nation.

Old 10-25-2018, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Fyi, Philadelphia's sports complex is east and south of residential neighborhoods in S. Philly and is walkable from those.

and actually most are over 20K PPSM and some over 40K ppsm that are in the walking distance; though to be fair the stadium complex is sort of in barren industrial area so not always that enticing and pleasant to walk in the area

Old 10-25-2018, 06:28 PM

Philly has great residential density over a large area. But we're talking downtowns or greater-downtowns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or