U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2019, 03:18 PM

6,968 posts, read 14,095,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
this is fair and in that context has similarities to European cities (albeit not as old or dense as the larger ones) but many large European cities have a dynamic of there is not a defined center per se but a larger footprint. DC has this larger footprint but doesn't have an apex of the other traditional old school us cities

I don't know turin well but rome has a similar dynamic of sorts And not saying DC is rome but on how a city has a spread and no singularly defined center I can see similarities

I like that DC is improving and has more interesting aspects adding some areas that were historically good

I like DC but its hard to totally compare it to a Boston for example

Its almost as though DC has a large spread of lets say a next step down intensity of (will use Philly comparators) say a Rittenhouse but has a larger spread of something above an East Passyunk - almost like DC has a huge expanse of U City (I Know all grossly over simplified)

maybe rome is a better example (though rome doesn't have the office intensity but does even share in the capital aspect)

I have always struggled with the Paris reference though can see some similarities it just doesn't feel nearly the same (maybe because the intensity of energy in Paris on the street level, not sure but Paris is a toucgh comparison for nearly anyplace, as is rome in ways but maybe works better here as rome never feels as intense as paris does to me)
It's hard to compare Paris to most of the US because its streets are not gridded and they're very narrow.

DC definitely lacks the peak density/walkable zones of cities like NYC, Philly, Boston, and Chicago. However, it does have a pretty defined "desirable" area where some of the best restaurants are. Not Georgetown btw...too bougie for me lol. 14th St, U St, Adams Morgan, Logan Circle, etc. That part of DC lacks the density of similar neighborhoods like Rittenhouse/Wash Sq West/Gayborhood/Old City/Grad Hospital. But it provides a similar experience...just with wider streets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2019, 03:28 PM

28,266 posts, read 26,242,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
DC definitely lacks the peak density/walkable zones of cities like NYC, Philly, Boston, and Chicago.
You would put Chicago in the same category as the previous 3 cities? Where in Chicago exists a walkable scale similar to the North End or Mulberry Street?

Old 01-24-2019, 05:49 PM

374 posts, read 146,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
That's my point about LA Live...it's about events, not about tourists showing up just to be there. If it was otherwise, it would be busy all day, every day.
I believe weekday foot traffic at LA Live will pick up once the Oceanwide Plaza complex towers and the 2 Circa residential towers and completed and leased out. The huge LED signage across the front of both projects will be a sight to behold. Right now only the Circa Building LED signage ribbon is viewable.

Old 01-24-2019, 06:45 PM

4,485 posts, read 2,670,613 times
Residents don't do much for peak pedestrian traffic. The world is full of streets lined with 40-story apartments that aren't terribly active.

The visual should be good, and the retail will hopefully be enough to attract decent numbers.

If that's enough to tip the scales to create a tourist crowd even when there are no events, I'll be surprised.

Old 01-24-2019, 07:07 PM

2,923 posts, read 3,635,848 times
Quote:
That's my point about LA Live...it's about events, not about tourists showing up just to be there. If it was otherwise, it would be busy all day, every day.
If you parcel it out "LA Live" is really just a dozen or so restaurants, a couple of performance theaters, some offices, a movie theater and a hotel. And if you discount "events" then it's just the movie theater, restaurants, some office space and a hotel. And mostly chain restaurants at that. So excluding events really takes away why people are there.

And when I think of LA Live I tend to think of the whole area including staples and the convention center. With all of that going on it's a rare day that there's not at least one event and often multiple events. But yeah mid-day on a weekday is probably slow. It's a hike from the office workers and the events are usually in the evening.

And besides lots of tourist destinations don't have people there all day everyday. I'm not really sure what you're comparing it to.

Old 01-24-2019, 07:14 PM

2,923 posts, read 3,635,848 times
Quote:
Residents don't do much for peak pedestrian traffic. The world is full of streets lined with 40-story apartments that aren't terribly active.

The visual should be good, and the retail will hopefully be enough to attract decent numbers.

If that's enough to tip the scales to create a tourist crowd even when there are no events, I'll be surprised.
LA Live is suburb friendly. It's full of mediocre chain restaurants and it's clean and policed. When people from Orange County and other LA suburbs visit downtown they often go to LA Live. But it has zero retail. That's coming in the buildings across the street. It's not going to be a place that interests me or you, but it will attract a crowd. Will it be a destination in and of itself? Not sure. But lots of hotels are being built around it so tourists may use it as a base for exploring LA.

Old 01-24-2019, 07:52 PM

3,220 posts, read 1,553,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
You would put Chicago in the same category as the previous 3 cities? Where in Chicago exists a walkable scale similar to the North End or Mulberry Street?
You're joking right? You must be.

Old 01-24-2019, 11:39 PM

4,485 posts, read 2,670,613 times
We're agreeing on LA Live. I'm saying it's not a tourist attraction.

Old 01-25-2019, 12:10 PM

5,890 posts, read 6,535,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
You're joking right? You must be.
just what I was thinking....scary.

Old 01-25-2019, 08:15 PM

9,382 posts, read 9,541,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
just what I was thinking....scary.
I think he means there isnít a Hanover or Price Street in Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or