U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2019, 10:27 AM

11,172 posts, read 22,375,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I think he means there isnít a Hanover or Price Street in Chicago.
In what sense? Every city is different but from being on Hanover many times there are multiple nodes of dense walkable areas and streets with commercial surrounded by low rise residential.

Broadway for example, which is miles away from downtown

https://goo.gl/maps/rZ2VQJACf7K2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2019, 10:45 AM

9,382 posts, read 9,541,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
In what sense? Every city is different but from being on Hanover many times there are multiple nodes of dense walkable areas and streets with commercial surrounded by low rise residential.

Broadway for example, which is miles away from downtown

https://goo.gl/maps/rZ2VQJACf7K2
Nothing in Chicago feels as closed in as the North End you don’t have 18 foot streets bounded by 6 story buildings. Sidewalks only fit 1 person across etc.

I think that’s what he was getting at not that Boston has a bigger urban footprint because it doesn’t.

Old 01-27-2019, 07:03 AM

3,223 posts, read 1,553,831 times
Quote:
Nothing in Chicago feels as closed in as the North End you donít have 18 foot streets bounded by 6 story buildings. Sidewalks only fit 1 person across etc.

I think thatís what he was getting at not that Boston has a bigger urban footprint because it doesnít.
Chicago has sections that work like key intersections. But overall it booted a tenement-style city or predominately row-housing city looooong ago. Even Boston did early in moving to its Triple-Deckers.

Chicago definately has its commercial corridor streets. I like Clark St as a diagonal and not wide example .... running North from the Core.

Chicago never tried to be a Eastern-built city and never will. But does well in diverse architecture in its own making. In density it too maintains a good standard. But the WALL-EFFECT is much more confined to the Core. If you want a wall that is residential today in a downtown.

You can chose this
downtown in Printers-Row //Lincoln Park street not downtown.
Attached Thumbnails
U.S. has 5 fully functioning downtowns-printers-row-chicag-..jpg   U.S. has 5 fully functioning downtowns-lincoln-park-street-chicago.jpg  

Last edited by DavePa; 01-27-2019 at 07:44 AM..

Old 01-27-2019, 07:33 AM

9,382 posts, read 9,541,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Chicago has sections that work like key intersections. But overall it booted a tenement-style city or predominately row-housing city looooong ago. Even Boston did early in moving to its Triple-Deckers.

Chicago definately has its commercial corridor streets. I like Clark St as a diagonal and not wide example .... running North from the Core.

Chicago never tried to be a Eastern-built city and never will. But does well in diverse architecture in its own making. In density it too maintains a good standard. But the WALL-EFFECT is much more confined to the Core. If you want a wall that is residential today in a downtown.

You can chose this downtown in Printers-Row.
Yeah Chicago is much much larger. The place that is geographically equivalent to the North end in Chicago is a bunch of streets lined with 35 floor buildings.

Old 01-30-2019, 03:33 AM

5,370 posts, read 12,979,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Residents don't do much for peak pedestrian traffic. The world is full of streets lined with 40-story apartments that aren't terribly active.

The visual should be good, and the retail will hopefully be enough to attract decent numbers.

If that's enough to tip the scales to create a tourist crowd even when there are no events, I'll be surprised.
First off LA Live is not the center of downtown Los Angeles. For some reason you continue to act like it is. Is it deserted during the day? No but clearly its crowds converge at night.

Old 01-30-2019, 12:04 PM

28,266 posts, read 26,242,183 times
Quote:
Nothing in Chicago feels as closed in as the North End you donít have 18 foot streets bounded by 6 story buildings. Sidewalks only fit 1 person across etc.
That's exactly what I meant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzFCSW3_ZnI

Old 01-30-2019, 01:23 PM

4,486 posts, read 2,670,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
First off LA Live is not the center of downtown Los Angeles. For some reason you continue to act like it is. Is it deserted during the day? No but clearly its crowds converge at night.
I've acted like it's at the center of DTLA? How?

My posts have said it's not a big tourist attraction, using its lack of daytime crowds as evidence.

But since you mention its location, it's easy to get to, which makes the lack of crowds more stark.

Old 01-30-2019, 11:12 PM

652 posts, read 312,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
That's exactly what I meant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzFCSW3_ZnI
Thanks for this! This is the type of neighbourhood that I love -- the narrow streets filled with mom and pop shops, very few cars driving around, very walkable and you are free to cross the street wherever you want, etc.

Old 01-31-2019, 09:40 AM

93 posts, read 67,170 times
North End looks pretty cool. I need to visit Boston. Chicago may not have that, but they have the urban equivalent of the Grand Canyon: being on a river with skyscrapers on either side. Plus as someone above posted, Printer's Row is very dense and closed in for a few streets, at least.

Old 02-01-2019, 05:58 PM

4,852 posts, read 8,994,029 times
Midtown Manhattan isn't the actual downtown--that honor belongs to Lower Manhattan, the origin of NYC. (That's the most frequent mistake!). Not much activity in Downtown compared to Midtown!

S.F. Financial District is pretty dead after 7 PM. Even Union Square and Market Street likes to open late and close early. Seattle is only Pine Street, with the Nordstrom and Macy's as anchors. Philadelphia is pretty moribund, but is making a comeback.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or