U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-09-2018, 03:28 PM
 
105 posts, read 37,713 times
Reputation: 193

Advertisements

I thought the recent poll from Conde Nast '15 Best Big Cities' was pretty interesting. Notably Los Angeles was missing from the list entirely!? Chicago made number one again. How did anyone else feel about this poll? Not sure if I can paste the link here so you may have to check for yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-09-2018, 04:37 PM
 
Location: San Diego, CA
1,229 posts, read 505,896 times
Reputation: 1770
I wasnít aware Condť Nast still existed, lol. I read the survey from its readers and it had all the usual suspects you see in these polls. Indianapolis at 15 was a surprise. Whether you love it, hate it, or youíre indifferent, you canít leave Los Angeles off, thereís just too much going on for that. The readers participating, or possibly the editors for purposely leaving it out, lose some credibility for this. I canít wait for people to chime in on this thread when Indianapolis, Nashville and Minneapolis made it, but places like Atlanta and Houston didnít. Should be entertaining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2018, 04:56 PM
 
3,212 posts, read 1,546,799 times
Reputation: 2338
It should not surprise C-D travelers .... who voted Chicago in poll threads. The city has 55-million tourist in the city alone. They all head to the core and don't see a city in decline by far.

It doesn't mean it has the most things over like NYC. But what it has attained is a QUALITY Level these visitors notice. Over 400,000 votes were cast. A new record for them. So to think the publication is insignificant or surprised it still exist was way off to assume.

The city shows as clean with prime viewing vistas and sights. It pays attention to details we notice as tourist.

From Conde' and short comment on Chicago's second win again ....

Second City? Not by our count. Chicago is world-class in so many categoriesómagnificent architecture, stunning museums, brilliant chefs, a massive brewing scene, and so much to do that youíll never see it all. Scratch the surface in the Loop and on the Gold Coast, then go deeper into the cityís 77 neighborhoods, where youíll find cutting-edge restaurants (like Parachute), chilled out corner bars (Sportsmanís Club), and some of the most pleasant people youíll find anywhere. Itís no wonder Chicago tops this list again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
I wasnít aware Condť Nast still existed, lol. I read the survey from its readers and it had all the usual suspects you see in these polls. Indianapolis at 15 was a surprise. Whether you love it, hate it, or youíre indifferent, you canít leave Los Angeles off, thereís just too much going on for that. The readers participating, or possibly the editors for purposely leaving it out, lose some credibility for this. I canít wait for people to chime in on this thread when Indianapolis, Nashville and Minneapolis made it, but places like Atlanta and Houston didnít. Should be entertaining.
Perhaps because so much is outside of LA. Yes in the metro. Houstonians acknowledge that there city is NOT a big tourist destination. Now giving the many Atlanta posters on C-D.... they feel there city has arrived in all things. They may see it as ridicules they got left out.

Again, I don't see any warrant to denounce the sight as biased or credibility .... since it is suppose to be the readers voting.

Last edited by DavePa; 10-09-2018 at 05:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2018, 05:44 PM
 
Location: San Diego, CA
1,229 posts, read 505,896 times
Reputation: 1770
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Over 400,000 votes were cast. A new record for them. So to think the publication is insignificant or surprised it still exist was way off to assume.
Of the top 100 circulated magazines in the US itís #98. It didnít crack Amazonís top 100 for best selling subscriptions either. It looks like I wasnít too far off.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...by_circulation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2018, 06:03 PM
 
Location: Washington State desert
5,534 posts, read 3,686,922 times
Reputation: 4115
Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentIpromise View Post
I thought the recent poll from Conde Nast '15 Best Big Cities' was pretty interesting. Notably Los Angeles was missing from the list entirely!? Chicago made number one again. How did anyone else feel about this poll? Not sure if I can paste the link here so you may have to check for yourself.
Yes, links that describe your post are generally allowed. But this one doesn't appear to work.

CNTraveler 15 Best Big Cities

Here is the reader ranking:

15. Indianapolis
14. Minneapolis
13. Nashville
12. Denver
11. Washington
10. Boston
9. Portland
8. Seattle
7. San Diego
6. San Antonio
5. Honolulu
4. San Francisco
3. New Orleans
2. New York
1. Chicago

Since the magazine is more for travelers than people looking for a new place to move, I think this is pretty accurate. Most of the cities that show up here are tourist destinations. But, agreed, LA not making the list is a bit puzzling.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 10-09-2018 at 06:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2018, 07:09 PM
 
105 posts, read 37,713 times
Reputation: 193
Please don't turn this into a battle ground folks, don't want the moderators to shut it down. Respectful opinions on the poll and its' rankings are welcomed. I figured this would be the best place to engage in a discussion about this poll.

With that being said... Although I'm not a fan of Nashville, I was still surprised to see it ranked #13? The way people rave about it, I was surely expecting to see it within the top 10.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2018, 07:17 PM
 
4,480 posts, read 2,663,831 times
Reputation: 4085
This sort of thing probably only counts voters who've actually been to these cities (an easier crowd in many cases), and it's probably as much about experience vs. expectations as it is experience vs. other places. Also it's probably a mix of business and pleasure travel. And it's probably juuuust a bit unscientific in the sample. Without bothering to click, I'm guessing it's typical clickbait.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2018, 07:22 PM
 
3,212 posts, read 1,546,799 times
Reputation: 2338
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
This sort of thing probably only counts voters who've actually been to these cities (an easier crowd in many cases), and it's probably as much about experience vs. expectations as it is experience vs. other places. Also it's probably a mix of business and pleasure travel. And it's probably juuuust a bit unscientific in the sample. Without bothering to click, I'm guessing it's typical clickbait.
How can readership of a travel magazine .... aimed at higher-end travelers that travel the world even. Be scientific? Seems if people had a good experience in a city? They are more likely to desire to vote for it to tell others.
Even Chicago does well on TripAdvisor too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2018, 07:30 PM
 
5,271 posts, read 3,313,639 times
Reputation: 6434
Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentIpromise View Post
I thought the recent poll from Conde Nast '15 Best Big Cities' was pretty interesting. Notably Los Angeles was missing from the list entirely!? Chicago made number one again. How did anyone else feel about this poll? Not sure if I can paste the link here so you may have to check for yourself.
I'm sure if you search, you would be able to find a poll of best cities in the US with LA on it and Chicago not being #1. And if you somehow can't, I can probably make a poll up for you!

These types of polls, for the most part, are made for clicks. I really wouldn't put too much into them except for entertainment purposes only, and making people argue with one another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2018, 07:41 PM
 
3,212 posts, read 1,546,799 times
Reputation: 2338
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I'm sure if you search, you would be able to find a poll of best cities in the US with LA on it and Chicago not being #1. And if you somehow can't, I can probably make a poll up for you!

These types of polls, for the most part, are made for clicks. I really wouldn't put too much into them except for entertainment purposes only, and making people argue with one another.
Apparently, Chicago has had a string of clickbait links and in threads on C-D it has won.

Despite its issues..... it has a Top tier Core and clearly made great choices to make it so with Corporate America seeing it as a top tier location for locating. They after all .... made much of its skyline what it is today. It's not merely just a collection of shiny glass boxes to work in a office in. It never will be accused of being generic or ordinary.

To some politically, it is just a liberal xxxxx. Just read the political forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top