U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 01:29 PM

21,697 posts, read 23,672,920 times

Advertisements

I believe it all depends upon what industry one is in. When I lived in Portland, OR. I worked in insurance. We worked long hours in companies that were pretty stingy with vacation and sick time. Lots of overtime too. The Chicago office from which I transferred originally was even more laid back. Friends in other fields didn't have as strict schedules.

But then, the insurance industry is not known for its laid-backness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2018, 04:32 PM

1,016 posts, read 642,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
My male cousin from the Bay Area is the typical laid back Californian. He has his hair long like a hippy. He values skateboarding outside and enjoying the weather. He graduated high school two school years ago, and has never proceeded to find a real job and never bothered with college. He just works at an ice cream store chain.
Guess what? There are people like your cousin in every state across America - North, South, East, West. California certainly does not have a monopoly on that type of person.

Old 10-14-2018, 08:23 PM

356 posts, read 109,282 times
I never been to the west coast so my experience is only with people I know from there and they seem pretty chill overall. People in the East Coast are more hustle and Bustle but the pace does slower down once you get to Virginia and downward till about Orlando.

Old 10-15-2018, 12:15 PM

943 posts, read 415,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
Guess what? There are people like your cousin in every state across America - North, South, East, West. California certainly does not have a monopoly on that type of person.
That's common in California in my opinion. Hippy lifestyle doesn't exist in NJ here. Marijuana is not legal in NJ and plus the weather is not good enough to support the hippy/skateboarding lifestyle. You will barely find people like that in NJ. I think the West more suits that lifestyle. Maybe even Florida with their nice weather.

Old 10-15-2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
I never been to the west coast so my experience is only with people I know from there and they seem pretty chill overall. People in the East Coast are more hustle and Bustle but the pace does slower down once you get to Virginia and downward till about Orlando.
I visited northern Virginia and people do seem a bit more laid back there, but I've heard from people who moved to northern Virginia. They said it's very materialistic, boring, and has some similarities to NJ there. It is not much better than NJ. I think Florida is where life probably seems less work oriented especially with all the retirees there.

Old 10-15-2018, 01:14 PM

1,591 posts, read 2,019,784 times
No. Itís a lie that people in the East have created. People here in the West work just as hard to put food on the table for their families. Rush hour here in Phoenix starts at 5 AM and wraps up at 7:30 PM.

People tend to be more entrepreneurial in the West, but there are plenty of people who still work traditional jobs with standard Monday-Friday schedules.

Old 10-15-2018, 05:25 PM

356 posts, read 109,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
No. It’s a lie that people in the East have created. People here in the West work just as hard to put food on the table for their families. Rush hour here in Phoenix starts at 5 AM and wraps up at 7:30 PM.

People tend to be more entrepreneurial in the West, but there are plenty of people who still work traditional jobs with standard Monday-Friday schedules.
I don't think anyone was saying West Coast people are lazy it's just there not as stressed out as people in the Northeast. You can be hard-working but still have a sense of joy about when you're doing something you love for a living. Being entrepreneural plays a huge factor in the enjoyment factor which is why West Coast people appear more laid-back because there work is there fun.

Old 10-16-2018, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
I don't think anyone was saying West Coast people are lazy it's just there not as stressed out as people in the Northeast. You can be hard-working but still have a sense of joy about when you're doing something you love for a living. Being entrepreneural plays a huge factor in the enjoyment factor which is why West Coast people appear more laid-back because there work is there fun.
There are a lot more lazy people in the West Coast. I see tons of Californians who probably don't have jobs and then they do marijuana all day long. When I visited Seattle, there are more hippies than the amount of bums you see in NYC. The hippies in Seattle bother you while the bums/panhandlers don't bother you at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.