U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 11:16 AM

5,091 posts, read 2,149,484 times

Advertisements

"Upbeat" posts do not necessarily reflect a healthy of perfect spot to live or be.

I see lots of shiny happy posts and sentiments in the area where I live, but there is also a lot of fakeness and superficiality that drives the machines and fuels the PR.

I'd rather go with reality in all its bluntness, than fake utopias and yes-people living with delusions.

Negatives are just as important as the positives, and help towards balance and completeness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2018, 02:19 PM

7,748 posts, read 6,154,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
"Upbeat" posts do not necessarily reflect a healthy of perfect spot to live or be.

I see lots of shiny happy posts and sentiments in the area where I live, but there is also a lot of fakeness and superficiality that drives the machines and fuels the PR.

I'd rather go with reality in all its bluntness, than fake utopias and yes-people living with delusions.

Negatives are just as important as the positives, and help towards balance and completeness.
There's no balance concerning Baltimore. 90% of the posts about Baltimore are negative.

Old 10-14-2018, 10:29 PM

154 posts, read 91,967 times
Boston by far with the upbeat posts.

Higher than I would expect.

Old 10-14-2018, 10:49 PM

2,990 posts, read 2,148,258 times
It does seem like high numbers of violent crimes in Baltimore and Chicago gets more national media attention than any other large city in the country.

Old 10-15-2018, 12:52 PM

7,138 posts, read 9,915,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Baltimore is BY FAR the most negatively spoken about in City Data history. Even cities with high crime/murder rates than Baltimore aren't as glommy.

The Baltimore sub-forum is even worse.
On the general forums at least, I suspect Detroit may disagree with you.

Just about the only times I have seen Detroit mentioned in a positive light, and I have been on CD for ten years, is a few posts about music and maybe one or two about Detroit architecture. Otherwise, Detroit is almost mentioned in a negative fashion. At least Baltimore gets mentioned in a neutral fashion sometimes.

Old 10-15-2018, 12:57 PM

503 posts, read 332,526 times
Raleigh seems to have a number of upbeat posters. Richmond is a mixed bag. We mostly have helpful, informative posters but we also have a few local posters who hate the city but won't move to greener pastures.

Old 10-15-2018, 02:24 PM

7,748 posts, read 6,154,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
On the general forums at least, I suspect Detroit may disagree with you.

Just about the only times I have seen Detroit mentioned in a positive light, and I have been on CD for ten years, is a few posts about music and maybe one or two about Detroit architecture. Otherwise, Detroit is almost mentioned in a negative fashion. At least Baltimore gets mentioned in a neutral fashion sometimes.
It's rare that Baltimore is mentioned in a neutral fashion. Most of the times that it mentioned positively, it is due it its proximity to other cities.

Old 10-15-2018, 06:31 PM

3,776 posts, read 2,564,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Boston
Minneapolis
Salt Lake City

Any city that has its share of boosters is going to get pushback, though. A lot of people on here simply can't tolerate success outside their own city.
Very true, but most of us tend to have a general idea of how the nation really sees different cities. Portland, Denver, San Diego, Austin, Nashville all come to mind.

Old 10-16-2018, 04:59 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,825 posts, read 33,233,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Texas cities, minus Austin.
In San Antonio, that's not happening because all of the news is positive. It's happening because that forum has many boosters who will pounce on negative posts and question the poster's standing to make negative comments. People who make those posts know this and even comment on it.

Other forums may have the same issue, so I question the value of drawing conclusions from the thread. "Where seldom is heard a discouraging word" doesn't mean there aren't things to be discouraged about.

Old 10-16-2018, 07:55 AM

4,857 posts, read 2,993,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
In San Antonio, that's not happening because all of the news is positive. It's happening because that forum has many boosters who will pounce on negative posts and question the poster's standing to make negative comments. People who make those posts know this and even comment on it.

Other forums may have the same issue, so I question the value of drawing conclusions from the thread. "Where seldom is heard a discouraging word" doesn't mean there aren't things to be discouraged about.
I think in general Texans have the most pride in their cities, except Austin. That's a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or