Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2018, 01:51 AM

1 posts, read 1,501 times

Advertisements

For better or worse, I've lived in LA/OC suburbs all my life.
I can't handle the traffic and superficiality anymore.

I don't care about culture, museums, or sports. But I do need to live somewhere that has GOOOD resources, like top notch medical, academic institutions, and career opportunities. So, bland and sprawl is fine, but it's got to have everything one could need to survive close by.

A place to hit milestones in life, like marriage, family, career, etc...not just retire.

I also can't handle snow/ice in the winter. A million degree summer is fine with me. So where is best? Phoenix, Dallas, Austin, Seattle, Raleigh, Tampa, or WHERE? I know everywhere has its pros and cons, but any input is helpful and appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2018, 06:03 AM

1,083 posts, read 1,035,611 times
Expect to get a LOT of posts defending their particular city. If you can't do cold, the southern part of the country is a must.

Phoenix is really nice and I consider it one of my favorite cities despite my obvious preference for cold weather. I would visit there for a week and see if you like it.

Old 10-12-2018, 06:56 AM

8,604 posts, read 14,885,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincitygialampark View Post
For better or worse, I've lived in LA/OC suburbs all my life.
I can't handle the traffic and superficiality anymore.

I don't care about culture, museums, or sports. But I do need to live somewhere that has GOOOD resources, like top notch medical, academic institutions, and career opportunities. So, bland and sprawl is fine, but it's got to have everything one could need to survive close by.

A place to hit milestones in life, like marriage, family, career, etc...not just retire.

I also can't handle snow/ice in the winter. A million degree summer is fine with me. So where is best? Phoenix, Dallas, Austin, Seattle, Raleigh, Tampa, or WHERE? I know everywhere has its pros and cons, but any input is helpful and appreciated.
I would drop Dallas off your list, then. Traffic has gotten better, but DFW (especially Dallas and its northern burbs) has a reputation for being fake and pretentious.

Old 10-12-2018, 07:55 AM

12,835 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
I would drop Dallas off your list, then. Traffic has gotten better, but DFW (especially Dallas and its northern burbs) has a reputation for being fake and pretentious.
Home of the 30k millionaires.

Old 10-12-2018, 07:58 AM

5,294 posts, read 6,060,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Home of the 30k millionaires.
30k millionaires are a hallmark of the Sunbelt in general. I'm not even sure I'd consider Dallas the foremost city for them.

I think Phoenix likely hit's most of the OP's needs. Really I think any Sunbelt city would work. Just look at the I-10 corridor on a map and throw a dart lol.

Old 10-12-2018, 08:24 AM

12,835 posts, read 9,552,972 times
To Op, wherever you go, there you are. I think everyone of your cities is viable. I'm familiar with Dallas, everything you need is right there. It's just hot.

Old 10-12-2018, 10:46 AM

8,495 posts, read 8,783,634 times
"Top notch" and traffic tend to go together. The places you mentioned won't be LA level traffic but they may still have traffic as an issue. Depends what level you can tolerate and what bugs you. Can't guess on that.

Every place you mention is a metro of 2-6 million.
A lot of people go for that. Would you consider a place of 250k - 1 million people? I'll assume not unless you say yes. If you (or any other readers) would, consider Boise ID, Colorado Springs CO, College Station or Tyler TX, Tucson AZ, Reno NV, Fayetteville AR...

Old 10-12-2018, 02:16 PM

1,543 posts, read 1,532,299 times
Northern California
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.