Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 02:32 PM

1,907 posts, read 3,227,961 times

Advertisements

Greenville, SC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2018, 04:22 PM

6,787 posts, read 4,227,308 times
If you're used to Southern Cal, think very carefully before moving east of the Rockies. The type of day that is common in SoCal - temps in 70s, sunny, little humidity - is very rare in many of the locations mentioned in this thread i.e. Atlanta, NC, Nashville, Tampa.

The climate tends to go from 'three showers a day' sticky hot weather between April and October to possibly quite chilly and often gloomy between November and March. There are transitional seasons but they tend to be marked more by up and down weather (i.e. periods of quite warm weather ended by thunderstorms and followed by a chill) rather than any consistently nice, mild weather (and it's always humid anyway, so 75 in the Carolinas or Georgia will feel very different to 75 in L.A. or San Diego). Of course the further south you go the longer that sticky hot-humid season lasts to the point where in South Florida it's practically all year long.

The locals and other East Coast/Midwest folks generally will be used to it and make the best of it, but if SoCal is what you're familiar with..it will be a shock to the system and it's something that feels much worse in reality than it looks on paper. Sweating, even without engaging in much physical activity, is simply a fact of life. People call it the Sun Belt, but they may as well call it the A/C belt.

Being able to sleep with open windows is one of my favorite things about California..it's just not going to be a very good option many nights in any of those places (consider that nighttime temperatures in the mid to high 70s are common in the Southeast in summer and humidity tends to go up into the 90% range as the evening advances).

I don't think it has to be a deal breaker as it depends on your personal lifestyle and priorities, but I feel like everyone from California should at least consider the reality of it before moving to avoid a potentially costly mistake.

Old 10-17-2018, 11:58 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,957,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
If you're used to Southern Cal, think very carefully before moving east of the Rockies. The type of day that is common in SoCal - temps in 70s, sunny, little humidity - is very rare in many of the locations mentioned in this thread i.e. Atlanta, NC, Nashville, Tampa.

The climate tends to go from 'three showers a day' sticky hot weather between April and October to possibly quite chilly and often gloomy between November and March. There are transitional seasons but they tend to be marked more by up and down weather (i.e. periods of quite warm weather ended by thunderstorms and followed by a chill) rather than any consistently nice, mild weather (and it's always humid anyway, so 75 in the Carolinas or Georgia will feel very different to 75 in L.A. or San Diego). Of course the further south you go the longer that sticky hot-humid season lasts to the point where in South Florida it's practically all year long.

The locals and other East Coast/Midwest folks generally will be used to it and make the best of it, but if SoCal is what you're familiar with..it will be a shock to the system and it's something that feels much worse in reality than it looks on paper. Sweating, even without engaging in much physical activity, is simply a fact of life. People call it the Sun Belt, but they may as well call it the A/C belt.

Being able to sleep with open windows is one of my favorite things about California..it's just not going to be a very good option many nights in any of those places (consider that nighttime temperatures in the mid to high 70s are common in the Southeast in summer and humidity tends to go up into the 90% range as the evening advances).

I don't think it has to be a deal breaker as it depends on your personal lifestyle and priorities, but I feel like everyone from California should at least consider the reality of it before moving to avoid a potentially costly mistake.
Actually, I as a SoCal native, I was well able to bear the humidity of a Gulf Coast summer, no problem. The muggy weather actually felt better than the dry, skin-cracking heat of inland California. Also, the greenery of the Gulf and the summer thunderstorms are unforgettable vs. SoCal's bone dry, rainless, brown summers.

I could never get over how wonderfully warm it was every night--80 degrees even at sunrise! Ah...imagine watching 4th of July fireworks or concerts in the park, on an 85 degree evening, sitting in nothing but shorts, t-shirt, and sandals. That's the Deep South. Can't do that in SoCal, with the marine layer. Every 4th of July night, I'm watching fireworks with a hoodie and jeans, and maybe even a blanket over that.

If it's too warm for you at night in the Southeast, just sleep without a blanket.

Old 10-18-2018, 12:01 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,957,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityandcities View Post
I've lived in So Cal all of my life and don't want to anymore. Why? Housing costs, traffic, materialism, and the general sense of closing upward mobility.

I MUST live somewhere that has mild winters... as in nights over freezing temps, extremely rare to see snow, and basically a life that is unaffected by winter.

I also WANT to live somewhere that is in between urban and suburban, like a dense sprawl. A diverse economy, academic institutions, medical resources, some things to do. I don't need the greatest museums or sports options... If it's there, great, if not, great. Some scenery would be good. Too hot over too cold.

MUST be the sort of place that never requires leaving to find what you need... relatively speaking. I will further complicate this by eliminating Texas.

Thank you for your help.
Why not Texas? They have In-N-Out and plenty of Chinese, Vietnamese, and Indian food. Also, surprise surprise, parts of Texas have a balmy, Florida-like climate (yes, it's humid, but as a lifelong Californian, I prefer the humidity of the Gulf over the dry heat of inland California).

Old 10-18-2018, 09:10 AM

6,787 posts, read 4,227,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Actually, I as a SoCal native, I was well able to bear the humidity of a Gulf Coast summer, no problem. The muggy weather actually felt better than the dry, skin-cracking heat of inland California. Also, the greenery of the Gulf and the summer thunderstorms are unforgettable vs. SoCal's bone dry, rainless, brown summers.

I could never get over how wonderfully warm it was every night--80 degrees even at sunrise! Ah...imagine watching 4th of July fireworks or concerts in the park, on an 85 degree evening, sitting in nothing but shorts, t-shirt, and sandals. That's the Deep South. Can't do that in SoCal, with the marine layer. Every 4th of July night, I'm watching fireworks with a hoodie and jeans, and maybe even a blanket over that.

If it's too warm for you at night in the Southeast, just sleep without a blanket.

That's your personal preference, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that preference. It's just important to acknowledge that it feels *very* differently from California. It's very warm at night, yes, but also very, very humid. The air is heavy.

I will also say that in the summer I sleep without a blanket and without a shirt on - here in Virginia - and yet I still have to have the A/C running for it to be acceptable. And of course that applies even more so in the Deep South.

I'm not saying any of that to say that it's terrible out East, I'm just saying that you need to be aware of the difference. It's quite common among Western transplants out here to lament the climate.

Old 10-20-2018, 11:47 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,648,992 times
Greenville, SC, Charlotte, NC or Nashville, TN. Lexington or Louisville, KY. Richmond, VA. Tucson, AZ.

Old 10-25-2018, 02:10 AM

4 posts, read 4,968 times
Other thoughts/ideas?

Old 10-25-2018, 06:56 AM

405 posts, read 475,874 times
Definitely either Atlanta, Greenville SC, Phoenix, or Charlotte

Old 10-29-2018, 09:26 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,455,989 times
It depends upon some other needs that you have in a city, but I'd say that Tampa is probably the best. Orlando could work. Fort Lauderdale might be on the list. I'd only try Miami if you were fluent in Spanish.

Phoenix and Tucson in Arizona are close matches, but not as good as the Florida matches. The nights can get into the 30s/low 40s regularly there, and Arizona's ecology is concerning. Where is the water going to come from? I think sustainability should be a major concern there and both Phoenix and Tucson have been overdeveloped relative to what the ecosystem should be able to handle sustainably.

Old 11-04-2018, 10:37 PM

6,885 posts, read 8,263,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Tri-Cities, WA. It feels more like California than anywhere else in the Pacific Northwest. Dry desert climate, relatively low real estate prices, sunshine most of the year, little snow (most years!), and except for a short winter, a mild to hot climate from March to October, with no humidity. Growing economy, construction everywhere. No state income tax. Good family area, emphasis on new schools. Relatively close (3 hrs) to Seattle and Portland. Regional medical center. Some nearby low mountains, some nearby high mountains. Has just about everything a major city has except for major league sports and great cultural attractions. Columbia River is a beautiful recreational attribute.

Tri Cities Washington - Visit TriCities WA - Kennewick - Pasco - Richland - West Richland
This is not urban nor really suburban and certainly not a dense sprawl. Not really that diverse economically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.