U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2018, 10:59 PM

4,812 posts, read 4,997,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityandcities View Post
I've lived in So Cal all of my life and don't want to anymore. Why? Housing costs, traffic, materialism, and the general sense of closing upward mobility.

I MUST live somewhere that has mild winters... as in nights over freezing temps, extremely rare to see snow, and basically a life that is unaffected by winter.

I also WANT to live somewhere that is in between urban and suburban, like a dense sprawl. A diverse economy, academic institutions, medical resources, some things to do. I don't need the greatest museums or sports options... If it's there, great, if not, great. Some scenery would be good. Too hot over too cold.

MUST be the sort of place that never requires leaving to find what you need... relatively speaking. I will further complicate this by eliminating Texas.

Thank you for your help.
Sacramento sounds like a perfect match.

Mild winters - Check.

Sacramento City is urban. The surrounding area is suburban. Some might call it a "dense sprawl", I wouldn't call it that compared to SoCal. Check.

A diverse economy, academic institutions, medical resources, some things to do. Check.

Sacramento has first class museums, lots of concerts, clubs, live music venues, bars and restaurants, top level theatre and Sac is a big sports town with an NBA team, AAA-Baseball, professional Soccer, College sports. Check. Check. Check.

Scenery and things to do. - I just can't get enough of Sacramento's midtown-downtown these days. Pop-up shops, food trucks, live music on the street, farmers markets, murals everywhere, big trees, beautiful Victorians, funky apartments, and modern high-end lofts going up up and up.

The Best way to discover Sacramento is on a bike, and Sacramento makes it very easy for you to ride/use a bike as there are over 1,000 bikes available to the general public for a very affordable rental fee. Sacramento has a lot of parks. Rivers and Lakes within the city and larger area. Big mountains with snow, first class ski resorts, and the Ocean are easy day trips. Check. Check. Check.

Last edited by Chimérique; 11-05-2018 at 12:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2018, 11:13 PM

1,545 posts, read 708,496 times
Vegas, Salt Lake City, New Orleans?

Old 11-05-2018, 09:56 PM

1,505 posts, read 523,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Sacramento sounds like a perfect match.

Mild winters - Check.

Sacramento City is urban. The surrounding area is suburban. Some might call it a "dense sprawl", I wouldn't call it that compared to SoCal. Check.

A diverse economy, academic institutions, medical resources, some things to do. Check.

Sacramento has first class museums, lots of concerts, clubs, live music venues, bars and restaurants, top level theatre and Sac is a big sports town with an NBA team, AAA-Baseball, professional Soccer, College sports. Check. Check. Check.

Scenery and things to do. - I just can't get enough of Sacramento's midtown-downtown these days. Pop-up shops, food trucks, live music on the street, farmers markets, murals everywhere, big trees, beautiful Victorians, funky apartments, and modern high-end lofts going up up and up.

The Best way to discover Sacramento is on a bike, and Sacramento makes it very easy for you to ride/use a bike as there are over 1,000 bikes available to the general public for a very affordable rental fee. Sacramento has a lot of parks. Rivers and Lakes within the city and larger area. Big mountains with snow, first class ski resorts, and the Ocean are easy day trips. Check. Check. Check.
Well, Sacramento is actually very similar to San Bernardino/Riverside area.

If you like San Bernardino/Riverside, fine, move there. But it sounds like you don't, or else you wouldn't move out of SoCal entirely. Then don't move to somewhere that is just like the Inland Empire, namely Sacramento.

Old 11-06-2018, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Well, Sacramento is actually very similar to San Bernardino/Riverside area.

If you like San Bernardino/Riverside, fine, move there. But it sounds like you don't, or else you wouldn't move out of SoCal entirely. Then don't move to somewhere that is just like the Inland Empire, namely Sacramento.
Nope, Sacramento is better than the San Berdo/Riverside(Inland Empire) area in many ways.

1. Incomes are a lot higher in the Sacramento Metro and housing costs are about the same compared to the Inland Empire(IE).

2. The Sacramento area has a stronger stand alone identity than the IE.

3. Sacramento is NOT economically dependent upon the Bay Area the way the IE is on LA.

4. Sacramento has more urban and rurual areas; whereas the IE is one giant spreadout suburb.

5. Sacramento has a strong urban core that is getting better and better.

6. Sacramento has very walkable, bikeable, denser, more attractive concentrated city of restaurants, shops, and urban housing.

7. Sacramento has a stronger identity with its own live music, theatrical event, and sports franchises. The IE is dependent upon LA and Orange County for such things.

8. Sacramento is part of the Bay Area-Sacramento Mega Region with all its advantages and amenities without being solely dependent upon it the way the IE is dependent upon LA. Yet, Sacramento is just far enough removed from the the Bay Area to have its own culture/identity and economy.

9. Sacramento's nearby mountains are more forested and recieve 3 times the precipatation and it has more Ski resorts and they are alot closer to Sac.

10. The Sacramento Metro is far less populated (almost half the population) so it's not has congested and Sac has better quality of life.

11. Sacramento's air quality is better than the Inland Empire.

12. Educational Attainment is much higher in the Sacramento Area than the Inland Empire.

13. Sacramento weather is arguably better with more distinction in all four seasons.

Old 11-08-2018, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Nope, Sacramento is better than the San Berdo/Riverside(Inland Empire) area in many ways.

1. Incomes are a lot higher in the Sacramento Metro and housing costs are about the same compared to the Inland Empire(IE).

3. Sacramento is NOT economically dependent upon the Bay Area the way the IE is on LA.

4. Sacramento has more urban and rurual areas; whereas the IE is one giant spreadout suburb.

6. Sacramento has very walkable, bikeable, denser, more attractive concentrated city of restaurants, shops, and urban housing.

7. Sacramento has a stronger identity with its own live music, theatrical event, and sports franchises. The IE is dependent upon LA and Orange County for such things.

8. Sacramento is part of the Bay Area-Sacramento Mega Region with all its advantages and amenities without being solely dependent upon it the way the IE is dependent upon LA. Yet, Sacramento is just far enough removed from the the Bay Area to have its own culture/identity and economy.

9. Sacramento's nearby mountains are more forested and recieve 3 times the precipatation and it has more Ski resorts and they are alot closer to Sac.

10. The Sacramento Metro is far less populated (almost half the population) so it's not has congested and Sac has better quality of life.

12. Educational Attainment is much higher in the Sacramento Area than the Inland Empire.

13. Sacramento weather is arguably better with more distinction in all four seasons.

Sacramento weather has more distinction in all four seasons? When was the last time Sacramento snowed? Temecula and Lake Elsinore saw snow in 2014. Yucaipa sees snow even more often than Temecula or Lake Elsinore.

Old 11-09-2018, 08:41 AM

68 posts, read 23,514 times
Default where to move

cities and cities

I sold my house in So. Cal last Nov 2017, my son thought I'd love Texas, so I drove to Texas, ended up in Houston, way to humid for me, I then moved one hour east of Dallas, a population of one hunded thousand, I don't know why you don't like Texas, but it makes two of us. The apathy here drives me crazy! Live and let live. The friendly people I met, admitted to being from California! California moves fast, Texas, Not!

I'm headed to Arizona, I know people who live in the Scottsdale area and the Phoenix area and really like it. I preferred being closer to California Nevada area, the weather is suppose to be much better then Phoenix or Scottsale, the only problem would be for you it would be too small, no colleges, but supposely beautiful areas nearby, and its been hard to find any homes to buy, why? The homes have been gone within one day! who is buying them, yup! People from California!

Check out Tucson area, I looked at places in that area, you might like New Mexico as well (north)altho, I don't know anything about the weather.

Good Luck!

Old 11-09-2018, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Sacramento weather has more distinction in all four seasons? When was the last time Sacramento snowed? Temecula and Lake Elsinore saw snow in 2014. Yucaipa sees snow even more often than Temecula or Lake Elsinore.
The entire Sierra Foothills and Sierra Alpine Mountains that are along the I-80 and Highway 50 corridors are in the Sacramento Consolidated Metro Area as well as South Lake Tahoe. From downtown Sacramento, within 45 minutes and no more than 2 hours you can be in snow, and like 10 times the amount of snow that you would find in Temecula, Lake Elsinore or Yucaipa. When was the last time SoCal (Temecula, Lake Elsinore or Yucaipa) sent snow-melt-water to NorCal, NEVER, rather NorCal sends all our water to SoCal and the Coast.

Old 11-09-2018, 10:31 AM

Quote:
The entire Sierra Foothills and Sierra Alpine Mountains that are along the I-80 and Highway 50 corridors are in the Sacramento Consolidated Metro Area as well as South Lake Tahoe. From downtown Sacramento, within 45 minutes and no more than 2 hours you can be in snow, and like 10 times the amount of snow that you would find in Temecula, Lake Elsinore or Yucaipa. When was the last time SoCal (Temecula, Lake Elsinore or Yucaipa) sent snow-melt-water to NorCal, NEVER, rather NorCal sends all our water to SoCal and the Coast.
Classic Sacramento defense: "We're not cool enough, so let's call everything within a 2-hour radius of us "Greater Sacramento!"

San Fran, LA, and SD residents would never use this defense because they are far closer to far more legit things.

Old 11-09-2018, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Classic Sacramento defense: "We're not cool enough, so let's call everything within a 2-hour radius of us "Greater Sacramento!"

San Fran, LA, and SD residents would never use this defense because they are far closer to far more legit things.
No, it is not a "defense" it is reality, Sacramento is COOL/AWESOME city, you might want to think about being on the right side of history and stop bad mouthing it.

You brought up snow as if San Diego has any decent amount of regular snowpack anywhere remotely by it, no it is does not, but Sacramento does.

Old 11-09-2018, 02:43 PM

887 posts, read 440,935 times
Quote:

No time in my Sacramento residence did I ever view or heard mention of Sacramento as a four season place. It may be somewhat close to places that get snow, but I don't think that really counts. Sacramento has a Mediterranean climate with wet, rainy winters and hot, dry summers. Not 4 seasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.