Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 02:53 PM

4 posts, read 4,969 times

Advertisements

I've lived in So Cal all of my life and don't want to anymore. Why? Housing costs, traffic, materialism, and the general sense of closing upward mobility.

I MUST live somewhere that has mild winters... as in nights over freezing temps, extremely rare to see snow, and basically a life that is unaffected by winter.

I also WANT to live somewhere that is in between urban and suburban, like a dense sprawl. A diverse economy, academic institutions, medical resources, some things to do. I don't need the greatest museums or sports options... If it's there, great, if not, great. Some scenery would be good. Too hot over too cold.

MUST be the sort of place that never requires leaving to find what you need... relatively speaking. I will further complicate this by eliminating Texas.

Thank you for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2018, 03:35 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,702,626 times
Atlanta has your name written all over it.

Old 10-12-2018, 06:12 PM

2,277 posts, read 2,652,929 times
Medium size city somewhere in the south.

Old 10-12-2018, 07:48 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,979,299 times
Tampa

Old 10-12-2018, 08:03 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,873,269 times
Tri-Cities, WA. It feels more like California than anywhere else in the Pacific Northwest. Dry desert climate, relatively low real estate prices, sunshine most of the year, little snow (most years!), and except for a short winter, a mild to hot climate from March to October, with no humidity. Growing economy, construction everywhere. No state income tax. Good family area, emphasis on new schools. Relatively close (3 hrs) to Seattle and Portland. Regional medical center. Some nearby low mountains, some nearby high mountains. Has just about everything a major city has except for major league sports and great cultural attractions. Columbia River is a beautiful recreational attribute.

Tri Cities Washington - Visit TriCities WA - Kennewick - Pasco - Richland - West Richland

Old 10-12-2018, 10:44 PM

27,205 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityandcities View Post
I've lived in So Cal all of my life and don't want to anymore. Why? Housing costs, traffic, materialism, and the general sense of closing upward mobility.

I MUST live somewhere that has mild winters... as in nights over freezing temps, extremely rare to see snow, and basically a life that is unaffected by winter.

I also WANT to live somewhere that is in between urban and suburban, like a dense sprawl. A diverse economy, academic institutions, medical resources, some things to do. I don't need the greatest museums or sports options... If it's there, great, if not, great. Some scenery would be good. Too hot over too cold.

MUST be the sort of place that never requires leaving to find what you need... relatively speaking. I will further complicate this by eliminating Texas.

Thank you for your help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Atlanta has your name written all over it.
I agree regarding Atlanta however it has a decent number of sub 30 degree lows annually, but not to the point of wondering when it will stop.

Old 10-12-2018, 10:58 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
Phoenix.

Old 10-15-2018, 01:44 AM

4 posts, read 4,969 times
Great input so far

Old 10-15-2018, 06:11 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,515,450 times
Atlanta, Charlotte, Tampa

Old 10-16-2018, 01:01 PM

783 posts, read 695,026 times
Try other sunbelt towns.

For me it would be either the southeast or Texas.

A good economy with great schools are in Austin, Atlanta, Nashville, or Raleigh IMO. Charlotte seems to be a great city but the best universities (if that matters to you) are in Raleigh NC. If you really don't like Texas, you can eliminate it. But I would give Austin a serious chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.