Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 08:00 PM

2 posts, read 7,570 times

Advertisements

Right now I'm 21 and going to school in Chicago, but I want to move when I'm done with my degree?

Where can I go that's both gay friendly and has a decent skateboarding, longboarding, or inline scene? Also places that are walkable and where I could get a decent 9-5 in video editing for either t.v. or film.

Right now I was thinking about Portland, Seattle, and Phoenix. I'd go to California if I could but I don't have a ton of cash.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 08:30 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,710,979 times
So is California out of the question? If not, that is where you'll be most comfortable. Try some liberal cities out of CA like Portland, Seattle, Austin, Boulder, and Park City. Also try East Coast cities.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:28 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,618,205 times
Philadelphia is very skateboarding friendly. I know there is quite a burgeoning film industry there as well. Also, it's more affordable then the other east coast cities but you still have easy access to them.

Old 04-04-2008, 03:25 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
You should at least give Louisville, KY a visit. There is a huge skate park located on the waterfront, with several very urban and hip neighborhoods next to it.

Biking is also very popular in Louisville

Louisville Extreme Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Highlands (Louisville) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-04-2008, 03:35 PM

138 posts, read 786,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aesops_apostle View Post
Right now I'm 21 and going to school in Chicago, but I want to move when I'm done with my degree?

Where can I go that's both gay friendly and has a decent skateboarding, longboarding, or inline scene? Also places that are walkable and where I could get a decent 9-5 in video editing for either t.v. or film.

Right now I was thinking about Portland, Seattle, and Phoenix. I'd go to California if I could but I don't have a ton of cash.

I have no idea if it's out ofthe question but SF would be my first guess. Cost of living is sky-high but you could find some roommates .... jobs are plentiful. Don't know about the skateboarding though.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:56 AM

94 posts, read 391,847 times
New York City is great for skateboarding... Brooklyn especially. Every Friday night in Prospect Park dozens of skateboarders and longboarders get together for the Friday Night RIP. New York is also very gay friendly.

While Manhattan is expensive, you could get a place in Brooklyn that you might be able to afford although I obviously don't know your financial situation. Good luck!

Old 05-21-2008, 11:06 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
From what i've heard Seattle is not even that much cheaper than San Diego. What is your budget exactly? One bedrooms in SD can easily be had for around $800-1000 and if you want roomates even cheaper, like $500-700. Hillcrest, the gay neighborhood in San Diego, is not that expensive and about $900-1200 for most one bedrooms. Utilities tend to be cheaper b/c you don't need or will likely have AC and you'll more than likely and only need the heater a few nights a year, my electric and gas is around $60-70 year round for a two bedroom. Hillcrest is walkable and was named one of the top 10 neighborhoods in America by the American Planning Association.

And San Diego has a strong skate culture and all. You can skate year round here b/c of the weather. Seattle and Portland are going to be wet 6 months out of the year and Phoenix is blazing hot 6 months out of the year. And if you're lucky you just might run into Tony Hawk somewhere, although he lives in Northern San Diego County.

Last edited by sav858; 05-21-2008 at 12:05 PM..

Old 05-21-2008, 11:44 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Youre not gonna find anywhere better than SoCal. The scene is amazing, the skateparks are world class, and the weather is about perfect. The only downfall is that you have to share the state with 35 million others and pay up the arse to do so.

Old 05-21-2008, 12:01 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Youre not gonna find anywhere better than SoCal. The scene is amazing, the skateparks are world class, and the weather is about perfect. The only downfall is that you have to share the state with 35 million others and pay up the arse to do so.
Actually, its now 38 Million

I would definitely say SF is your best bet as far as meeting all your criteria.

Forget Gay Friendly, they love us here.

Old 05-21-2008, 02:56 PM

10,054 posts, read 14,418,692 times
I'd recommend Brooklyn or Southern CA. Both are pricey, but look for roomies and have fun skating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.