U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 04:50 PM

6,053 posts, read 3,377,056 times

Advertisements

There was a lot of heavy hurricane activity in the mid 2000s as well. Don't recall it being an effective scarecrow for migration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2018, 07:26 PM

4,342 posts, read 7,416,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Speaketh for thyself! Its only mid-October and I'm already day dreaming of white, white, white
Me too!

Old 10-17-2018, 08:16 PM

24,968 posts, read 23,873,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
What?? You clearly have no idea what youíre talking about. Hereís a list of hurricanes hitting the US, Iíll let you sort through it and get back to me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...tes_hurricanes
I know that there was Matthew and Sandy in that time frame, but they were below category 3. Three and above is considered a major hurricane.

Old 10-17-2018, 08:17 PM

24,968 posts, read 23,873,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
As I said, nothing hitting the U.S. of any significance for TEN YEARS.
People dying and billions in damage is more than an inconvenience.

Old 10-17-2018, 10:20 PM

4,852 posts, read 8,988,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
He also had warm states in mind like Texas or Arizona (they don't get hurricanes).
Rosa is an example that even Arizona gets hurricanes.

Sergio's remnants are threatening the I-35 corridor right now. The media has been concentrating their coverage on the western exurbs of Austin, but even North Texas has had heavy rain. This is a fraction of the rain that fell on Houston during Harvey last year. The studies last year said that San Antonio and Austin's hilly topography is an advantage if Harvey-level rains hit the Hill Country, but Sergio is proving that the hills and limestone are working against Austin.

About a month ago, Dallas had evening rush hour ruined after the freeway flooded after an abnormal tropical rainstorm made its way far inland. For once, the typical summertime tropical rains passed over Houston and surprisingly hit over North Texas instead. Now the rain causing the flooding in Austin is also dumping massive amounts over the Metroplex and flood waters are going downstream from Austin and Dallas towards the edges of the Houston area as they reach the Gulf of Mexico.

It's not looking any better anytime soon--there are two-story homes along the Llano that will be 2 feet underwater by tomorrow. Smaller dams are overflowing over the spillways and Lake Travis may not be able to absorb a third rainstorm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
Nope, up north winters will always make down south look attractive!!
https://youtu.be/tosigNyYX2k?t=103

In Chicagoland before midnight on New Years Eve, it was -6 F in suburban Aurora, O'Hare airport was -1 F, and the Lakefront near downtown was 3 F. When my freezer is warmer than outside, something is going terribly wrong!

Last edited by KerrTown; 10-17-2018 at 10:35 PM..

Old 10-18-2018, 06:31 AM

3,767 posts, read 2,551,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Speaketh for thyself! Its only mid-October and I'm already day dreaming of white, white, white
Hopefully that motivation lasts til March. lol I can't wait for the snow in the mountains here either, but living in it for months on end is kind of counterproductive in my case.

Look at Florida for example 100 years ago it was the least populated state in the south even behind Mississippi, but now it's the third largest state in the country surpassing NY of all places, and the gap is widening at an immense pace already a million in between them, and it's only been 3 years.

Old 10-18-2018, 06:42 AM

6,837 posts, read 11,106,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
I personally wouldn't live on the Coast anywhere, but if people want to, that's their business.
But we all do pay for their choices through FEMA, through higher insurance rates, through the Coast Guard, deployment of emergency personnel, and so on. And it's not just the coast- it's for anyone who lives in any high risk zone. Of course, they'll not all move, just be aware that we all do pay for these choices so it's not just their business.

Old 10-18-2018, 06:49 AM

13,093 posts, read 13,474,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
Yeah... this isn't true at all. The states sending the most domestic migrants south have long been places like Illinois, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut and California. Most southern states gain immigrants from a wide variety of domestic sources, but northern and Midwestern states make up a big chunk of that.
The Southeast was a net contributor to the Midwest in the latest year available, 2016. And you guys didnít read what I said. I said most domestic migration in the region is from the same region. This is true for all states in all regions.

Old 10-18-2018, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
Yeah I concur. I've lived in Houston a good chunk of my life as well and don't know of anyone leaving because of flooding. I'm sure there are a few people who are but its still not offsetting the number of people moving here overall.

Most people who live in the coastal southeast are not ignorant of hurricane risk - they simply accept that risk as a potential price of living where they want. Just like people in California accept earthquake and wildfire risks, or how people in the Midwest accept tornado risk. I don't see hurricanes affecting much at all in the long term.
Any reason why the rest of the country should have to subsidize that risk with billions in disaster relief because people there are too selfish or short-sighted?

Old 10-18-2018, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
That link only shows total migration, not totals from other regions. Itís also 20 years old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or