U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 01:31 PM

21 posts, read 5,260 times

Advertisements

Thank you to ckhthankgod and potana. Any info is greatly appreciated. I will continue researching as well as reading helpful posts here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2018, 04:51 PM

21,180 posts, read 30,336,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
I just visited Vermont and Vermont seems like a very nice state to live in, but yeah, it's so sparsely populated that I heard people need oil to heat their homes and even get electricity. I wonder where their water comes from too...
The entire state isn't rural .... Vermont has cities/towns like any other state which feature public utilities like electricity and water/sewer, as well as natural gas.

Old 10-16-2018, 07:37 PM

4,342 posts, read 7,416,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
First there are many places in California that do NOT have earthquakes or fires. I just can't stand the politics.

I am going to North Carolina. They haven't had a serious hurricane in years and I don't see that they have that big of a twister problem. I plan on around the Durham area to avoid the brunt of a hurricane.

I lived in Michigan and we got Tornado warnings all summer long and there were hardly any places built with shelters and then, in the winter we got snow and cold so the worst of all worlds.
Was Hurricane Florence not serious? There was loss of life and many people lost their homes and everything that they had. They have only just begun to recover.

Where in the world did you live in Michigan where you had tornado warnings all summer long?? I have lived in Michigan for 21 years and I don't even remember the last tornado warning we had. They aren't completely unheard of but seriously..."all summer long"?

Old 10-17-2018, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Was Hurricane Florence not serious? There was loss of life and many people lost their homes and everything that they had. They have only just begun to recover.
North Carolina is a big state and the damage you mention occurred in the eastern third. What occurred in the middle third and western third wasn't much different from what most see after a tropical depression, which while damaging in terms of some flooding, downed trees and power lines...not exactly life altering and easily recoverable from.

Old 10-17-2018, 06:30 AM

4,342 posts, read 7,416,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
North Carolina is a big state and the damage you mention occurred in the eastern third. What occurred in the middle third and western third wasn't much different from what most see after a tropical depression, which while damaging in terms of some flooding, downed trees and power lines...not exactly life altering and easily recoverable from.
I get that. What I was responding to was this: "I am going to North Carolina. They haven't had a serious hurricane in years..." To state that NC as a whole has not had a serious hurricane in years when they just had one last month is false. Had she said, "Parts of NC have not been severely affected by a serious hurricane in years" that would be true.

Old 10-17-2018, 07:19 AM

6,849 posts, read 7,793,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink2018 View Post
Hello. I am new here and am sure that I will make a few mistakes. Please help me out.

I am looking for a place to move to in the US in a few years and have no idea where! I have a few years before I move and will still probably have to work. The west coast is out. I am kind of an earthquake-forest fire freak. Florida is out! Way toooooo humid. Nothing directly on the east coast because of hurricanes. I live in the Midwest and am familiar with that weather...hot summers, tornadoes, blizzards...that kind of stuff. I do not like the hot summers and the humidity is really getting harder and harder every year. I researched Michigan and watched their weather but they are getting more tornados and that frightens me. I really want to move to Vermont but everything I read says that it is expensive and I do not want to pay for oil to heat the house. I have gas heat now and would like to stay with that. I have considered Pennsylvania and Minnesota. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I have read many threads and everyone is so polite. Thank you.
Take a different approach with your search. Rather than having a list of attributes you don’t like, draw up a list of criteria you are seeking in your new home. For example:

-Weather
-Urbanity (city, suburb, small town, rural)
-Interests and recreation (culture, outdoors, nightlife, just plain quiet)
-Near/far from family (or non-issue)
-Politics
-Schools
Etc.

Draw up a list of places that you can afford which have your desired attributes. If there are none, your next step will be to decide on your “must haves.”

I’m sure you realize you will need to make some visits to places on your short list. Make plans to meet with a realtor to see housing that will meet your budget. You don’t want to fall in love with a place only to find you can’t afford to live there. Trulia can help, but you really need to see housing with your own eyes. Be upfront with the realtor that this is only a scoping tour. Most will be more than happy to spend some time with you.

BTW, once you are a little more focused, you can also seek information and advice in the Retirement forum. Lots of helpful people there who have already done what you want to do.

Best of luck!

Old 10-19-2018, 04:09 PM

3,537 posts, read 1,513,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink2018 View Post
I'm sorry I posted in wrong spot. I'm new. It's confusing. Deleting account. Sorry to have upset amyone.
No need to post elsewhere. As one poster said, though most on C-D are cool, there are some who are going to gripe and moan as soon as they get behind their monitor. Just ignore them as I do........From what you described, I'd go with the Appalachian region from Chattanooga/Knoxville TN, Asheville NC, and Roanoke VA. Great 4-season climates without extremes. Though they are smaller metros, they have excellent qualities of life as well. Good luck with your search!

Old 10-19-2018, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
No need to post elsewhere. As one poster said, though most on C-D are cool, there are some who are going to gripe and moan as soon as they get behind their monitor. Just ignore them as I do........From what you described, I'd go with the Appalachian region from Chattanooga/Knoxville TN, Asheville NC, and Roanoke VA. Great 4-season climates without extremes. Though they are smaller metros, they have excellent qualities of life as well. Good luck with your search!
I agree and for the sake of not excluding somewhat comparable areas within the same geographic region I would also include smaller cities such as Charlottesville VA, Staunton VA and Harrisonburg VA.

Old 10-20-2018, 09:44 AM

5,405 posts, read 2,813,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
Denver area.

Good luck!
Bad idea.

OP specifically mentioned living in the midwest now and NOT wanting hot summers, tornados, blizzards, expensive COL. The rest of CO either has more of those or high forest fire risk, which is also on the NOT list.

No state in the country meets all the OP’s requirements. Employment and budget are also undefined other than “not expensive.”

Old 10-22-2018, 11:08 AM

21 posts, read 5,260 times
Default More on Vermont

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
The entire state isn't rural .... Vermont has cities/towns like any other state which feature public utilities like electricity and water/sewer, as well as natural gas.

Still not sure about all the buttons and how to do things, so here goes!

I am still thinking about Vermont. The landscape is beautiful in the pics. I could not imagine how much more beautiful it would be in person. How is the best way to figure out the politics of a state? I've also read that it is expensive. I have natural gas as a heat source and would like to have that in the next home. I have looked at many houses and read articles about the property taxes. I think that my home state's property taxes are higher so that would be a plus for me. Another post recommended seeing the homes in person, which I would plan to do once I decided where to move to. The move won't be anytime soon. I have plenty of time to read info here and Goolgle also. There is so much info here and so many people willing to help, it seemed a good place to start to ask for help. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.